Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do NOT bury shipping containers! Killface General Discussion 600 05-31-2018 04:12 PM
Shipping containers? Devastator General Discussion 33 07-19-2016 06:15 AM
Where to buy shipping containers paramilusmc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 39 03-04-2016 11:00 PM
Shipping Containers as Shelter honeybprepping Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 58 01-04-2016 03:15 PM
Where to get shipping containers cheap? panoz77 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 09-07-2013 03:38 PM
How secure are shipping containers? BuellerBueller General Discussion 13 08-30-2012 08:47 AM
Emp proof with shipping containers ? themtkid Vehicles & Transportation 1 05-28-2012 02:11 AM
Shipping Containers Wantingtolearn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 03-02-2012 05:19 PM
Whatya think about Shipping containers? markwaldrop Urban Survival 13 01-29-2012 03:04 PM
Shipping containers? Forester_uk Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 2 12-04-2011 05:33 AM

Old 09-14-2020, 02:00 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graynomad View Post
I don't know but ask me in a few years as that's what I'm building

In a small fire I would say they are better that a normal house, in a raging canopy fire I doubt it would make any difference, the radiant heat would almost melt the steel and ignite everything inside anyway.

In my case I'm cladding them with timber and will have at least one gutter to catch leaves, so I'm not expecting it to be much better than a normal house in that regard, it will however be a lot more secure.
We have a test case with the New Westminster, BC, Canada Pier Park fire. WOW Westminster sculpture is made of steel containers. Pier Park is currently on fire. 😔🙁https://globalnews.ca/news/7332833/m...ers-pier-park/
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon989 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 11:20 AM

If I was looking to roast myself extra crispy, I'd be sure to lather down in some canola oil before stepping in one.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,611 Times in 912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit505 View Post
Don't be fooled by the fire resistance of a shipping container. They are very popular structures for burn buildings in the fire service. I'd venture to say that every fireman alive has been through flash over training in a shipping container. With that said, they do fail and have to be reinforced. We're talking 1200-1800 degrees, but a fast moving forest fire can melt cars, so the temperatures can be present in nature. As with burying a shipping container, the main structure will normally survive while the sheet metal collapses without reinforcement. As said above, anyone inside will be a crispy critter. Not sure what Insulation would be required to keep the inside cool enough for survivability. I've personally seen the sheet metal collapse during training inside of a shipping container. It's more than scary when the container implodes on itself. I would not recommend it.
Iíve been in a bunch of burned shipping containers. My opinion is the steel is oxidized ( burned) from the inside in each internal fire. I donít think there is a comparison to behavior in a one time forest fire outside the container.

Aluminized paint would help some ( plus just keep the contents cooler). Plus a clear zone. Houses are rarely burned down as a fire passes, usually the passing fire starts A small fire, that if not dealt with will consume the structure. Plenty of stories of people riding the fire out in a house, similar to a fire shelter.
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 02:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,221 Times in 8,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
The container shell will be left. The contents will be cooked by heat transfer through the metal skin and will eventually ignite.
Anecdotally I do remember people dying in water tanks. Same deal.

https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires/...h-man-c-632006
Old 09-15-2020, 04:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,611 Times in 912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post

They also warn you that moist air can cause more damage to the respiratory tract, it that in canít be farther cooled before entering the lungs. In a fire shelter deployment they warn you not to wet the ground under your face to cool the air, it actually makes the air more lethal.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,221 Times in 8,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
Quote:

They also warn you that moist air can cause more damage to the respiratory tract, it that in can’t be farther cooled before entering the lungs. In a fire shelter deployment they warn you not to wet the ground under your face to cool the air, it actually makes the air more lethal.

Makes sense.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:55 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,684 Times in 770 Posts

A radiant heat barrier would shield a shipping container from heat somewhat.
You could do this by installing sheet metal panels, like roof decking, on spacers, creating an air gap to the shipping container.
It would be best if the spacers did not block the airflow up the sides.
The air gap lets the heat dissipate enough to keep the metal from failing/melting.
The metal panels would need to be fastened to each other well enough that warping from the heat did not open up gaps.

Also mineral wool batting that comes in 2ft x 4ft pieces of different thickness, and holds up to fairly high temps, about 1000 degF and is not too expensive.
Mineral wool attached directly to the ship container with welded studs, and a radiant heat barrier spaced 1” to the outside of the insulation, would hold back some heat for a while.

Fire walls can be constructed with metal studs and two plies of “backer board” cement with fiberglass, 3ft x 5 ft with the seams staggered, and sealed with fire stop caulk.

Ceramic wool is very good insulating material, good to about 2000 degF and comes in a roll 2ft x 25ft x different thicknesses, but is expensive.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,720 Times in 887 Posts

Quote:
Makes sense.
That's what we call a proper sauna.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:37 AM
VIP Member

After you put all of your steel studs and insulation and airspace inside... how much room will you have left for people and storage? I think the best defense for fire is to go underground or into the side of a hill... just pay attention to your air supply.... or get outta dodge.

And if you clear all brush and trees for 20-30 feet around the shelter, you may as well put up a neon sign that says "hey, someone lives here and there might be something value stored here!" In years past, it might have been easy to keep hidden, but with drones now, that empty space would stick out like a sore thumb.