Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 20,630 Times in 4,364 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_55 View Post
Looks really nice. So a German made Brazilian Mauser?
I'd say so. I'm no expert on Mausers, but My father in law's uncle brought back a Brazilian from Italy after WWII that I now have. It has the same crest, though not in as good shape...

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 11:46 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,848 Posts

Quote:
Here are some sight pics. Plus a close up of the top of the bolt. Why do you say it was modified for the mounts. Looks like whoever did them ground the back mount down to clear the bolt handle.

Is this where you mean as to the trigger plate serial?

Thanks for everyone chiming in.

The bolt was cut, new bolt was shaped, welded back on and and polished. The was so the bolt will open with a scope on the rifle. The mount was also shaved because the small ring actions don’t have the real estate for mounts.

Your plate serial number and trigger guard number don’t match and neither matches the action and bolt so it’s most likely an arsenal or importer rebuild. The reason the bolt matches the action is that it is head spaced correctly. Look at the finish dimension around the front of the stock to the front sight. They are not flush. They are also way offset. This looks to be a 93 that was converted into a carbine with a 95 front sight added to the cut down barrel.

The bolt work and weaver mounts were done by the owner after they bought the surplus rifle.

If there was a scope on the rifle when you bought it, most likely it was original and the decade the scope came from will tell you when it was most likely converted.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:51 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
The bolt was cut, new bolt was shaped, welded back on and and polished. The was so the bolt will open with a scope on the rifle. The mount was also shaved because the small ring actions donít have the real estate for mounts.

Your plate serial number and trigger guard number donít match and neither matches the action and bolt so itís most likely an arsenal or importer rebuild. The reason the bolt matches the action is that it is head spaced correctly. Look at the finish dimension around the front of the stock to the front sight. They are not flush. They are also way offset. This looks to be a 93 that was converted into a carbine with a 95 front sight added to the cut down barrel.

The bolt work and weaver mounts were done by the owner after they bought the surplus rifle.

If there was a scope on the rifle when you bought it, most likely it was original and the decade the scope came from will tell you when it was most likely converted.
Ok, thanks. Hard to tell the bolt shape of the 1895 carbines in the pics I have seen.

Unfortunately whatever scope was on it the guy kept. I did remove the upper hand guard and the barrel is a match to the action and bolt. That leads me to believe it is still 7x57, but I will do more work to verify that before firing it.

Any guess at what the round repair on the stock in front of where the sling hole is filled could be. I don't think I see anything that would suggest what they removed from there. Seems peculiar to be a perfect circle if it was just a crack repair.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:14 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,848 Posts

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Hard to tell the bolt shape of the 1895 carbines in the pics I have seen.

Unfortunately whatever scope was on it the guy kept. I did remove the upper hand guard and the barrel is a match to the action and bolt. That leads me to believe it is still 7x57, but I will do more work to verify that before firing it.

Any guess at what the round repair on the stock in front of where the sling hole is filled could be. I don't think I see anything that would suggest what they removed from there. Seems peculiar to be a perfect circle if it was just a crack repair.
When I say bolt, I mean the actual bolt handle was cut off, an aftermarket Mauser handle was welded, shaped and polished to allow the handle to clear a scope when cocked.

The round repair looks like the repairs made to Swedish Mauser accuracy brass disks. Itís not a Swedish Mauser stock though.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:12 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
When I say bolt, I mean the actual bolt handle was cut off, an aftermarket Mauser handle was welded, shaped and polished to allow the handle to clear a scope when cocked.

The round repair looks like the repairs made to Swedish Mauser accuracy brass disks. Itís not a Swedish Mauser stock though.
Thanks, I understood, I just worded my reply vaguely.

Hmm Interesting. I guess really I will never know. I wish some of this old stuff I have could talk. I bet there are lots of interesting stories. I did look up those disks, looks like most were on the other side of the stock. I guess to keep it away from your face.

I hope this shoots good. i am starting to feel like I got stuck with some guy's reject.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald_55 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 02:27 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,532 Times in 640 Posts

If that rifle is in 7x57 you will really like that round. I have a 98 Mauser spoterized by my Grandfather way back in the mid 1950s built on a G33/40 action with a PO Ackley barrel on it and it shoots anything up put in it into tiny groups. I have killed half of my deer kills with that rifle.

Sorry I can't help with any of the I.D. stuff. But there is a Mauser forum if you look for it and they for sure can tell you what you have.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Looks really nice. So a German made Brazilian Mauser?
Are you serious? Germany made most if not all of the South American Mausers, especially the ones for Argentina, Chile, Peru, Brazil. Usually 7x57 or 7.65x53. The Colombian model 50 was made by FN
Old 08-23-2020, 03:40 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 43,567 Times in 9,949 Posts

No idea what you have.

I'd take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber and bore size inspected, the metal tested, and the headspace checked before even considering firing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
No idea what you have.

I'd take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber and bore size inspected, the metal tested, and the headspace checked before even considering firing it.

Take this advice. Get that barrel slugged and find out what you have , most likely it will be 7 x 57 which is a perfectly fine chambering and indeed highly under-rated in the modern era , you will see 2600 fps and above with a 160 grain 2700 plus with a 150 out of the longer barrels , with a 150 grain ELD-X I regularly see 2700 plus out a 22 inch Shaw tube and the rifle performs quite adequately on deer , antelope , black bear and hogs.

Start loading for it and you will be able to take good advantage of the high B/C slugs offered by many manufacturers and be able to get the most out of the rifle.

Keep in mind that 7 x 57 spawned other chamberings such as the 6mm ( necked down to .244) , it's also operating at lower pressures than either the .284 win or the 7mm-08.

In all likelihood you have a keeper that's well worth working with , some folks may turn up their nose because it's not a '98 , it however is worth working with.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,093 Times in 2,907 Posts

7mm mauser is a great round. Just remember these older military rifles tend to like a long heavy projectile. My '93 likes 160 and above. It will not shoot cast projectiles. the older mausers are not as strong as the 98. I have heard they are just as strong but I load on the lower side. mostly suggested starting load. They are also less hard on the shoulder.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,008 Times in 2,144 Posts

I owned a mauser conveersion chambered in 308 that stunk. The chamber wasn't right and it was a bear resizint the brass. I believe it was a Spanish Mauser conversion. I got rid of it.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:36 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argent...ser_Model_1909
Old 09-16-2020, 12:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,008 Times in 2,144 Posts

Right,
The action looked like the 1909. They had turned down the bolt. What a pile of junk.