Full Battle Rattle - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 09-13-2020, 10:30 AM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 20,678 Times in 5,259 Posts
Default Full Battle Rattle

Advertise Here

I just happened on this site. I am far too old to strap all the gear on me and move at more than a snail's pace. But I thought I would post this Youtube site for you younger guys' general information or maybe you know someone who is putting a rig together. It may be helpful.

His commo setup is interesting (another video on his site)

The guy is a Marine vet (even an old paratrooper like me knows there is no such thing as an ex-Marine)

Anyway it's just FYI

Quick reply to this message
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 07:32 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,749 Times in 5,631 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Interesting

All i have is a Beez combat chest rig... https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/76...t-Rigs_c43.htm

Plenty for my needs.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:11 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 20,630 Times in 4,364 Posts

I haven't put on any body armor since I retired in '09. I have only a chest rig, and a battle belt. However, with things getting so dicey these days, I ordered a plate carrier not long ago. It's not come in yet...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 03:43 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,413 Times in 1,892 Posts

Looks like quite a setup, and I trust the opinion of someone with deployment experience over most chairborne ranger types, but I suspect that most "concerned citizens" are going to find such a comprehensive rig to be more than they can handle or (realistically) justify for the purposes of anything short of urban warfare, siege, etc. I put together a pretty hefty plate carrier setup, and ended up dialing it back for a more practical home defense role. Not unlike having an enormous backpack and trying to fill out every square inch on a backpacking trip, a MOLLE-equipped LBE setup can tempt a person to mount something to every last inch of webbing.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 06:26 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,372 Posts

I guess I could get get the burro to carry all that
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 PM

My personal vest is pretty heavy and it's not even that heavy. Most guys overthink their loadouts and then end up lightening the load they carry. I have 6 M4 mags, 2 Glock pistol mags, an IFAK, a radio pouch, and a "catch all" admin pouch. With front and back plates (no side plates), it's heavy enough.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Abishai For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,571 Times in 4,673 Posts

Depends on one's definition of "battle". Most couch commandos have never humped that kind of kit in combat or even taken a dynamic class all day wearing it. Chances are they would drop from a stroke or sustain a severe mechanical injury; playing "Army" with real kit isn't for most of the "Call of Duty" crowd if they're not in the physical shape or conditioned to wear it...

I've slimmed my stuff down a lot. A stripped/minimalist with upgraded (and much lighter plates!), and a simple belt that can disappear under a jacket.

ROCK6
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:53 AM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 20,678 Times in 5,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Depends on one's definition of "battle". Most couch commandos have never humped that kind of kit in combat or even taken a dynamic class all day wearing it. Chances are they would drop from a stroke or sustain a severe mechanical injury; playing "Army" with real kit isn't for most of the "Call of Duty" crowd if they're not in the physical shape or conditioned to wear it...

I've slimmed my stuff down a lot. A stripped/minimalist with upgraded (and much lighter plates!), and a simple belt that can disappear under a jacket.

ROCK6
Totally agree. My time was 50 years ago and I looked at that rig and almost had a stroke just watching the video. I admit I am totally ignorant of what the youngsters are humping nowadays, and in the desert as well!

The most my old ass could strap on is maybe a vest with a few mags. a medi-kit and a radio... Unfortunately this time i'll have to turn down the dance invitation and let the youngsters do the two-step
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 03:03 PM
HMFIC

Thanked 2,145 Times in 740 Posts

My rig is around 40-45lbs, and I HAVE worn it for full day classes, walking the back 40, and a 3 day camping/bivouac trip with the guys a few years back. And I'm 43 next month. Yeah it's heavy, but you can get used to it, and should TSHTF for real, you'll get used to it no matter what. I'd rather have a few extra pounds of armor than not. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
My rig is around 40-45lbs, and I HAVE worn it for full day classes, walking the back 40, and a 3 day camping/bivouac trip with the guys a few years back. And I'm 43 next month. Yeah it's heavy, but you can get used to it, and should TSHTF for real, you'll get used to it no matter what. I'd rather have a few extra pounds of armor than not. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
I do a 5K walk with my vest on every week through rolling hills terrain. About every week my shoulders and knees remind me that I'm a wuss. Lol.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abishai For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 06:30 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,133 Times in 386 Posts

I was an active duty Marine from ages 18-23. I'm in my 50s now. I have as much of a chance to move with all that gear as I do to fly to the moon.

I have had a physical job for 50+ hours a week since I got out and am still pretty strong and have decent endurance, but I'm simply not in my 20s anymore. Those years of working hard (wtf are ergonomics??) have taken their toll.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cooper30 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 06:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,487 Times in 6,374 Posts

I'm fortunate 51 and can still do cross country despite 20 years in the Corps as an Infantry But I've made a decision if defending the farm operating a vehicle etc. I will go with BA and all the goodies , but if foot mobile I'm going without BA , just CR , Camel bak and Ifak. Thats it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 08:05 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,372 Posts

To be honest my full loadout is a spare 20 rounder in my back pocket.
Normally just keep a 5 in the Mini, easier to carry that way.

I'll admit to carrying an extra pack of cigarettes and a flask of rum on occasion
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 06:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,571 Times in 4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
That's the key though, is conditioning and frequent practice. I often go stripped for a class with just a minimalist belt as we've taken classes outdoors in 90+degree temps and high humidity. Most don't last long even without BA. I always get a long backpack in every year, last year I did a solo trip after getting back from A'Stan. At 49, I did 106 miles in 7 days on the AT without a resupply; starting pack weight was about 40 pounds (10 pounds heavier than most trips were we get resupply).

The weight is a factor, but dynamic drills, high impacts, and the outdoor heat and humidity are factors that most deal with even on a monthly basis. If I'm mobile or mostly static, BA is fine, but for any significant distance on foot or where mobility is a greater need, I'll take my risks without armor...it's simply a decision based on one's situation and honest assessment of their physical capabilities. I will agree, it's easier to stash armor if forced to move fast than not have any armor option at all...

ROCK6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:30 AM

Outside of something truly awful, with advance warning, I will not have a plate carrier handy (such as I'm at work). I have a IIA vest, in an external carrier equipped with a level IIIA (6x8) trauma plate.

The carrier isn't loaded down either. It has one rifle mag spot,, two pistol, a multi tool, pepper spray, and a flashlight. Everything else is on a duty/battle belt (outfitted with suspenders that can fit under the carrier).

My job has me in soft armor. I'm used it; the weight and how to move in it. I'm just thankful that external carriers are popular now. This has allowed me to take a lot of weight off of my hips and lower back. It works for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hudson69 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 02:12 PM

Going slick all the way for me, four 30 round 5.56 mags, level 4 plates, and IFAK. The pistol goes on a leg holster.

Plate carrier comes in at 22.5 lbs and even lighter with my level 3+ plates. That's full rattle for me, unless I decide to expand to comms.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Matherson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 03:27 AM
3-7-77

Thanked 1,180 Times in 465 Posts

When I did dangerous things for money, I had something similar to all that.

These days, my "go to war" rig is just a belt with three double stack mag carriers for my rifle on the back (accessible with either hand), my pistol with two mags, and a FAK. Anything else goes in my backpack. I'm working on getting some armor again, but that's not going to be for a while. Something about bills, and feeding two people on the regular.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:43 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,526 Times in 465 Posts

My service period straddled the LBE and LBV (corset style) systems.

My preference is probably the LBE belt with UM84 holster with a single pistol mag pouch and a triple M16 mag pouch, plus items like a Maglight loop.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:13 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 2,145 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
That's the key though, is conditioning and frequent practice. I often go stripped for a class with just a minimalist belt as we've taken classes outdoors in 90+degree temps and high humidity. Most don't last long even without BA. I always get a long backpack in every year, last year I did a solo trip after getting back from A'Stan. At 49, I did 106 miles in 7 days on the AT without a resupply; starting pack weight was about 40 pounds (10 pounds heavier than most trips were we get resupply).

The weight is a factor, but dynamic drills, high impacts, and the outdoor heat and humidity are factors that most deal with even on a monthly basis. If I'm mobile or mostly static, BA is fine, but for any significant distance on foot or where mobility is a greater need, I'll take my risks without armor...it's simply a decision based on one's situation and honest assessment of their physical capabilities. I will agree, it's easier to stash armor if forced to move fast than not have any armor option at all...

ROCK6

My last carbine class was this august. High 90s with as much humidity. Wore the carrier all damn day. The instructor said that was his last class in VA during the summer, it's just too damn hot and muggy. A few guys, especially the older and heavier ones, sat out a string or two. One, still in his 20s, came close to blacking out, started seeing spots.

I HATE the heat, but for whatever reason, I can take it. I'd rather it be 30 than 90, but it seems as long as I drink enough, I can take the heat. I went through my entire 100oz camelback armorback thing, plus 3 or so gatorades.

His next class is this late oct. I'm going to do something different this time, and run my 'travel' setup. A pistol AR with folding stock, and a cheap but nice little shoulder bag as my mag pouch/dump pouch. It's a transition class, so my pistol is in my leather belt holster, and I'll have a 2 mag carrier opposite. I want to try this setup, as its what I'll probably have in the truck when traveling....longer trips, or in case there is a known blm/terrorist/protest activity in the area.

As far as gear, that's it. A few rifle mags, 2 pistol spares, the shoulder bag, and nothing else. Going to be very lightweight for once. At some point, I may add a minimalist plate carrier to the setup. But JUST a carrier, with maybe some mag pouches, possibly IFAK, nothing major.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:49 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,052 Times in 1,190 Posts

What is everybody’s obsession with walking long distances? I mean sure prep for it and stay in shape. I walk a few miles a week myself up hill. But in most SHTF situations walking is not plan a or plan b. It’s somewhere around f.

I am interested in getting soft and hard armor. It’s on my list but not super high.

I’m trying to really decide what situations I’m likely to actually use it.

So far aside from a planned gun fight , which I’m hoping to avoid , I only see a few likely scenarios.

I think for the average person armor would be most useful if we have to flee a populated area or go through a dangerous area while bugging out or going home.

I see it as a short term solution. Not wearing a plate carrier while roaming around the woods eating rats.

I see it more like me and the wife and kids armor up and get in the car and drive out of town. And the armor is as much for stray rounds as an actual fight since we are going to try and avoid people.

Also if the neighbors need help maybe. Suit up to go lend aid. And of course if we find ourselves in situation where guard duty is a thing , that person should be wearing armor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post: