Real estate reality 97guns Financial Forum 33 01-13-2017 06:52 PM
How to get into real estate? David Bevis Financial Forum 71 11-19-2016 05:50 AM

Old 09-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 40,836 Times in 9,685 Posts
Default Nuclear bunkers are the new real estate craze

Advertise Here

Quote:
The room is small, just enough to fit a bunk bed, a padded bench, a ladder in the middle and an air filtration system, but not much else, not even a toilet. I'm looking for where I could put books, or at the very least, a stash of canned beans and bottled water to stay alive.

I'm a little uneasy. Maybe it's how cramped it feels in here. Maybe it's the metal ladder interrupting the feng shui of the room. Or maybe it's the fact I'd have to live in this nuclear bomb shelter for the rest of my life if the apocalypse ever struck.
https://www.cnet.com/news/nuclear-bu...-estate-craze/

Oh boy, this is pretty bad and I'm only just beginning to read it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 PM

I only got part way through this also. Is it truly a get rich scheme I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalistd View Post
I only got part way through this also. Is it truly a get rich scheme I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The article is just about companies who sell shelters but it constantly patronizes the idea because it's not enough luxury per dollar and how anything less than the $8 million giant luxury bunker with a pool and theater would be unbearable.

I think it shows there are a lot of people who'd kill themselves before suffering even the slightest inconvenience, even when perfectly viable survival is available.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,544 Times in 1,782 Posts

Consider the site, the authors, and their audience. It’s cnet, they cover computers and software (mostly) so their readers experience with fallout shelters is probably limited to what they “learned” playing the Fallout series of games. A series which perpetuates the Hollywood myth that a nuclear exchange would only be survivable by those hiding for 25 to 200 years in shelters that amount to underground cities. The reality of the situation isn’t all that interesting to their attention-deficit readers and doesn’t sell clicks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 05:05 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,444 Times in 3,888 Posts

hedge fund executives question 'futurist' on post-apoc living

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...sm-singularity

"They started out innocuously enough. Ethereum or bitcoin? Is quantum computing a real thing? Slowly but surely, however, they edged into their real topics of concern.

Which region will be less affected by the coming climate crisis: New Zealand or Alaska? Is Google really building Ray Kurzweil a home for his brain, and will his consciousness live through the transition, or will it die and be reborn as a whole new one? Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked: “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the Event?”

The Event. That was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, unstoppable virus, or Mr Robot hack that takes everything down."

its on peoples minds sure enough
if I had $ I'd set up a shelter too. (I plan on being raptured before the big stuff happens)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 06:11 AM

Wish I could afford a bunker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 06:35 AM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf5 View Post
You can get a house sized one for about the same price as a stick house.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,747 Times in 5,114 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
You can get a house sized one for about the same price as a stick house.
For at least ten years now especially when I joined this S-boards, I have read over and over about people complaining that they cannot afford a bunker or even a root cellar. So I suppose that they will just Die because they don't know or even care about how to build a strong secure shelter? The best strongest and most secure shelters are underground, although there are above ground bunkers also. Just ask the gov't although they won't tell about all the vast underground protective bunkers etc. they have built.

At least 25 years ago I asked myself why should the rich and gov't VIP's have the protective shelters and let millions just Die? In 1995 I began to dig the hole for my underground shelter and mostly finished it in 2005. It cost me about $100 to build since I used logs, rocks etc. from my land plus salvaging two steel doors, some steel beams, brick etc. from a factory that was being demolished.

After I added 250 eighty pound bags of concrete and a few other things I had spent around $2,000. It might cost double that in today's money and with concrete etc. getting more expensive. But still very affordable for many who don't wish to die in a tornado, wildfire, some kind of attack etc. etc. People can make a bunker as fancy as they wish but for good protection they do not have to be expensive. Here are the main plans I used when I built the main room of my bunker / shelter > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

I and some others tell what we did to prepare as well as possible. And the main book I used to build my somewhat inexpensive bunker / fallout / storm shelter which has been mainly used for very secure storage. Many pics, links and good info if any will look for a few minutes even just on the first page >>> https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=107463
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,515 Times in 478 Posts

The craze is now over.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:41 AM
Grevcon 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
The craze is now over.
Maybe you should elaborate?
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 12:43 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,747 Times in 5,114 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
The craze is now over.
And how do you know this? Is it supposed to be good thing that people building and even wanting to build a nuclear bunker now do not want to any longer? A good protective shelter surely is always a good thing. Just ask the many throughout human history. Ask those who have survived tornadoes when they took shelter in a basement or storm shelter.

This thread tells much even with many pics. >>> https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=107463

And proves that any kind of protective shelter is good and has saved many lives. If a shelter was first built as a nuclear bunker and now it is totally unnecessary yeah, since there are no evil or crazy people in the world who have or are trying to obtain nukes?

ANY good strong shelter is better protection than none at all or even most above ground houses. And a shelter that was built to be for nuclear protection, can also be used as very secure storage, a fallout or more likely a storm shelter and even just a place to go to survive whatever might happen. Even as a get away and man cave If nothing bad will Ever happen...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 05:01 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,190 Posts

I think the bigger take home message of the article is one I've been making here for a while now. Yes, most in the US are not even prepared enough to get themselves prepared, but the facts are clear that "prepping" is fast becoming a huge industry in the US and many outside of "the prepper community" are becoming more and more interested in preparedness and self sufficiency.

I wouldn't get too lost in the dismissive language used by the writer of the article, or allow that to direct your judgement of the people who are interested in buying these bunkers- they all have two important things in common: (1) an interest in creating security for an increasingly ominous future, and (2) money in their pockets.

I think that there is a lot of opportunity right now for those in a position to create and sell preparedness related products and services. I plan to try to capitalize on this expanding new market as I work to develop my own security infrastructure and expect that it may likely help me to fund my own preps as I go. I guess we'll see how that works.

Regardless, I embrace the mainstream shift of our society towards preparedness and self-sufficiency. If all 300 million Americans where significantly prepared for a SHTF event, then the same event wouldn't even register as SHTF- it'd be more like someone farting in the fan (not fun, but over quickly and leaving you with a grin).
Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,515 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
And how do you know this? Is it supposed to be good thing that people building and even wanting to build a nuclear bunker now do not want to any longer? A good protective shelter surely is always a good thing. Just ask the many throughout human history. Ask those who have survived tornadoes when they took shelter in a basement or storm shelter.

This thread tells much even with many pics. >>> https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=107463

And proves that any kind of protective shelter is good and has saved many lives. If a shelter was first built as a nuclear bunker and now it is totally unnecessary yeah, since there are no evil or crazy people in the world who have or are trying to obtain nukes?

ANY good strong shelter is better protection than none at all or even most above ground houses. And a shelter that was built to be for nuclear protection, can also be used as very secure storage, a fallout or more likely a storm shelter and even just a place to go to survive whatever might happen. Even as a get away and man cave If nothing bad will Ever happen...
The luxe bunkers selling for a million dollar craze is over, companies that were hyping these luxury bunkers are MIA. The billionaires moved on to the latest craze, multi million dollar electric race cars.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:27 PM

If you have a basement, you could set it up for a temporary fallout shelter.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:31 PM
"eleutheromaniac"

Thanked 7,763 Times in 2,205 Posts

The simpler solution is "Only" elect caring responsible "Adults" to public office.

Not only this country, but throughout the world.