Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2019, 03:08 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 56,245 Times in 19,528 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIM TIM View Post
While I'm short on incandescent bulbs, still hold out hope that I can find some over the next few months of looking. I do have some LED's, and some florescent bulbs that I salvage while I'm out scrapping metal items from curbside trash.
Yep, people often throw out all sorts of lamps and light fixtures with good, usable bulbs still in them. And, I save them all no matter what style or type they are.
However, I still am mad as _ _ _ _ that the powers that be, preach how great these LED and florescent bulbs are, but the fact is that they both use toxic materials in their makeup, and as a result, generate tons of toxic waste in their construction.
What it really comes down to is energy savings, but at a cost that is way worse than the inefficiency of the OLD technology. A cost that our children and grandchildren will have to pay for. We should be ashamed that we let a small group of people DICTATE what's going to be, and that we should be satisfied with it no matter what.
You do realize the irony of your forum name in this thread, right?

Anyway, tungsten bulbs require tungsten mining, and the old incandescent bulb factories were shutting down in the West before we started switching bulb types. Only the old Soviet client states were making them by the end of the 80's. These are the folks used to shrugging when Chernobyl is mentioned. Old bulb factories became superfund sites. So the LED bulb factories now are definitely not as nasty as an incandescent factory. They both still use mining but that angle is a draw. Overall LED bulbs are less nasty on the world than incandescent from mine to kitchen garbage can. With LED bulbs dropping in price they are more economical than the old bulbs, plus less landfill space, and less burden to make more power facilities.

Admittedly the flourescents were a complete disaster. Just as nasty to make, weren't really thrifty for cost versus lifespan, and weren't really even safe to put into landfills. A bust in every direction. But since the old bulb plants were shutting down too fast we needed a bridge technology. Fortunately the fluorescents are almost gone now too. Everyone knew they needed to be phased out. Industry insiders were calling for them to be phased out even as they first started making them.

Yeah, it was one big sloppy nasty transition phase for 2-3 decades, but it's basically over.

In the 60's and 70's the prediction was to transition straight from incandescent to LED. Old bulb factory owners were happy to let those old factories die. They were like old Pittsburgh steel factories kind of nasty, and they were paying claims for silicosis and metals poisoning out the wahzoo. But the semiconductor folks needed an extra 20 years to pefect white light into a simple process. Screwed up everything. So some brainiac suggested fluorescent for the short term instead. And so we had the mess you hate.

Just be glad that time is over and check out the generic LED bulk bulb packs at the home center.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 03:21 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,822 Times in 9,050 Posts

I saw some inky work light bulbs at Lowe's today. I bought LED work light bulbs, yes they cost more.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 01:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,813 Times in 3,822 Posts

Be sure to get your porch lights as well, I thought I had my bases covered and then turned on the porch lite so UPS making a late deliver could see the steps and it dawned on me I hadn't gotten them all, my porch light were tsill incandescent...damn
Old 11-17-2019, 09:27 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,291 Times in 9,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Be sure to get your porch lights as well, I thought I had my bases covered and then turned on the porch lite so UPS making a late deliver could see the steps and it dawned on me I hadn't gotten them all, my porch light were tsill incandescent...damn
The porch light is a perfect place for a WiFi enabled light bulb. I can turn the light on from the driveway so I can see the steps. It also makes it easy to make the porch light red, blue, purple or pink for special days.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,813 Times in 3,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
The porch light is a perfect place for a WiFi enabled light bulb. I can turn the light on from the driveway so I can see the steps. It also makes it easy to make the porch light red, blue, purple or pink for special days.

I recently installed exterior wall mount motion activated LED solar lights. They cast a soft blue/white light that is just about perfect for lighting approaches and areas that I want lighting but not enough to go to the expense of hard wiring it in. I could basically do away with the porch lights, yet there may be times when the solar lights don't get enough sun, snow covered etc. or I want to control the lighting.
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,721 Posts

Very interesting for an electronic technician of long ago~!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post: