Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,675 Times in 664 Posts
Default Fish and Game gestapo tactics?

Advertise Here

Normally, I don't have any issues with the Fish & Game cops in my state, but this just happened to my brother this week:
Quote:
So today fish and game stopped by my house and 3 of my hunting buddies at the same time. They were questioning a mule deer that one of my friends shot in 2014. They were at this guys house and told him his hunting buddies had turned him in for shooting this mule deer in the wrong unit. Total lie. Like I said this is from 2014! Why donít they go out and catch people who are really poaching instead of looking at Facebook 5 years ago and trying to make some kind of case. Government money hard at work. Thanks for scaring my wife since I wasnít home and trying to stress lifelong friendships. Great work fish and game!
I guess spending time and money searching all over social media and trying to get geotags off of pictures is the way to fight poaching nowadays. Then lying to the alleged perp about his hunting buddies turning on him. Real fine police work there.

Moral of the story, watch what you put online . . .
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,909 Times in 5,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
Normally, I don't have any issues with the Fish & Game cops in my state, but this just happened to my brother this week:

I guess spending time and money searching all over social media and trying to get geotags off of pictures is the way to fight poaching nowadays. Then lying to the alleged perp about his hunting buddies turning on him. Real fine police work there.

Moral of the story, watch what you put online . . .
WOW, that is sad that they would be investigating a deer poaching that supposedly happened 5 years ago. Obviously they have nothing better to do while being paid. What exactly did they think they were going to accomplish by showing up on someone's doorstep 5 years later questioning them about it? Sounds like its time for some lay-offs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 06:46 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,750 Times in 9,033 Posts

Locker room talk? Campfire stories! I Don't Recall.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,598 Times in 6,013 Posts

So far I have not heard of anything like this before now but , nothing would surprise me. Of course there is really no need to poach anything for any reason to much Legal hunting and or fishing for one to do as it is. JmHO and S/FI
The Following User Says Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 05:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,339 Times in 2,741 Posts

I was a G&F cop at one time. This is just another way to catch people who break the law. Many cases have been made by online braggerts posting pictures of their trophies. Here it usually involves idiots who sneak into Yellowstone Park to shoot dumb never hunted before critters.

Seems like a pretty big deal to make over shooting a critter in the wrong hunt area, if he caught a guy doing that in the field, a warden might just direct a hunter to the proper area with maybe a written warning. If there was game on the ground a misdomenor ticket would probably be written. A fine you pay through the mail like a traffic ticket.

Hard to see why wardens would bother hitting 3 involved people at the same time, that is hard to do involving coordinating a lot of moving parts. MAYBE THERE IS MORE TO THIS STORY THAN THE MISCREANTS ARE TELLING. That never happens of course.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,415 Times in 9,786 Posts

So you guys know.....

It is NOT against the law for LEO to lie to you!

For just about everything else, they need a warrant and YOU have the right to remain silent!

If a game violation has been reported, they have to follow up on it!

If they outsmart you, who's fault is it?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 17,095 Times in 3,638 Posts

Advice for your brother's friend:

1. Find the dirtbag who posted the crap about him and wack him up the side of his head. It's unforgivable to brag about something like that, especially if it isn't true.

2. Tell your goon friends to be careful about what they post. Big Brother is watching. Sad, but true.

The Fish & Game guys had to know that the claim was unprovable and unenforceable unless your brother fessed up. I'm surprised they wasted the time doing this. But as ManyFeathers said, they have to follow up on a report.

Lots of government agencies monitor social media. There are plenty of videos on YouTube done by drone pilots who posted a video of a drone flight in a designated wildlife area, wilderness area, or national park (all illegal for drone take-offs and landings), and then the FAA knocked on their door and handed them a citation with a hefty fine. More Big Brother . . . with YouTube's full cooperation.

The Internet is not as anonymous as most people think. Big Brother can find you through your IP address and ISP records.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,758 Times in 3,365 Posts

Doesnít sound like we are hearing all the facts
Iím guessing your brother isnít telling the Whole story
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:46 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

My response would have been "and If I called the station and said your wife was a whore, does that make it true"?
Old 10-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Prepared

A lady seen a cougar my brother had hanging on his wall and reported it and they came to ask him about it. Luckily he still had the tags since it was shot out of state. Like mentioned above if they get a report they need to follow up on it. Just had to add that I found it hilarious that they thought it was shot locally, but for the longest time denied that cougars were even around here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLeeS1983 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,894 Times in 1,294 Posts

THERE IS a little wild life park owned by the county where I live. I remember going there when I was around 4 years old. It has been there forever.
Not fancy, they just keep deer in pens for the people to feed and see them and a little playground along with a hall people can rent for different group things.

So, every now and then one of the deer becomes pretty spectacular. And this one year, this deer has made record book proportions.
SO
Some flatlander and his buddy go to the park in dark of night and stick an arrow into the deer, cut the fence and get it. Take it and GO...
The travesty was discovered shortly thereafter by the caretaker.
AND
The alarm goes out... I mean there was a statewide broadcast made going out to every jurisdiction re- this huge deer taken from the park.
The idiots had it in the back of their truck, uncovered, headed south toward Deeetroit but they had to stop for gas about 50 miles away and the gas station was running a police scanner. The clerks heard it, saw the deer, called the cops. The cops swooped in .
The 2 guys were arrested, charged not only with illegal taking of game but also larceny of property valued over $1000, a felony.
They asked for court appointed attys and the court refused, so they got a local atty to represent them, and he promptly stated getting death threats. This deer was a beloved animal and anyone defending the people responsible was in danger.

Finally, the guys understood if they went to trial, they would not only be guilty but there would be testimony that could cause them to be in line for enhanced sentencing.

They plead straight up lost their truck and pretty much everything else of value for that deer.
The deer was full size mounted and they built a little display house for the mount at the park.

Never underestimate the reaction to a deer being taken outside of proper guidelines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,675 Times in 664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
Never underestimate the reaction to a deer being taken outside of proper guidelines.
well, this was taken inside proper guidelines, but someone else had a bug up their ass . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post: