Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,038 Times in 9,804 Posts
Default Home built deer stand

Advertise Here

I am looking for info to help me build a couple deer stands on my property.
I have the tools and materials to build some thing substantial.
Anyone have experience? Photos?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 11:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,771 Times in 6,034 Posts

HICK what kind of materials do you plan on using?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:07 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
HICK what kind of materials do you plan on using?
Im thinking of supporting it with 8" dia PT posts and 2 x 10 beams and attach this structure to a large tree. Then use 2 x 8 floor joists and a left over sheet of wood flooring, and corogated roofing metal. I plan on building wood stairs with a hand rail instead of a ladder.

I have been building post frame ranch buildings, so basicaly Im thinking of a pole barn platform, with a metal roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 12:14 AM

Thanked 5,984 Times in 1,607 Posts

Do you want elevated or groung?

Never mind, just saw your last message.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:09 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Cant decide how high, perhaps 8 to 12 ft. I have a specific site picked out. I want to track movement over a couple deer trails, so I will check the line of sight before building it..
Old 07-21-2019, 02:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

A friend and I built one with a plywood floor dropped into a rectangular frame made out of angle iron. That way when we weren't using it we could flip the plywood out and no one else could use it. We didn't own the property and the owner told us the stand had to be fairly innocuous so it wouldn't attract trespassing hunters, which are a big problem in my area.
We fabricated the whole thing in my shop and then only had to take it to the site and hang it in the tree. When we found a better site we took it down and moved it in about an hour.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 AM
begger of beer

Thanked 1,003 Times in 412 Posts

If you have posts to build with. You could just build a elevated box blind.

I would not combine some poles and tie them in with a tree. As the tree is going to move with the wind. It will loosen the fasteners in your framing. Long term could become a safety issue.

If you are wanting to build a big tree house, there are some good tree house building vids on YT. -K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Im thinking of supporting it with 8" dia PT posts and 2 x 10 beams and attach this structure to a large tree. Then use 2 x 8 floor joists and a left over sheet of wood flooring, and corogated roofing metal. I plan on building wood stairs with a hand rail instead of a ladder.

I have been building post frame ranch buildings, so basicaly Im thinking of a pole barn platform, with a metal roof.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 10:39 AM
GO Dawgs

Thanked 1,409 Times in 684 Posts

I would do the box blind also.
The Following User Says Thank You to divinginn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 AM

Been on the same deer lease in Tx for almost 30 years.

For the first few years, we was poor. Everything got built from scraps off of construction sites, etc.

I know there has been hundreds of hours and many beers dedicated to stand design, all on the front porch of deer camp.

I would look at commercial built stands and see what features you really like, then design around them. Such as, a high stand wants the tall narrow windows that allow bow hunters to shoot almost straight down.

If you are building in a permanent location, try to get up to the final height and look at everything, before you start. Give consideration to what everything will look like in a year, or 5 or 10. Will the trees grow and block shooting lanes, etc?

Tying to a tree is not a good idea, IMO. A good stand should last years, a tree maybe not. You might want to move the stand, hard to move the tree. That one time you need a good rest for a shot, the wind will be blowing and shaking the stand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwright For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,316 Times in 3,273 Posts

Quote:

I have built and used quite a few in the Ozarks, as I have kin who have lived there.

A few ideas for your consideration......

1. Attach to a tree : Steer clear of cedars. Find a mature, healthy Oak or Hickory . Have built them several ways, but found that one great method to attach to trees is by using chain or cable " around" the tree instead of screws or nails directly into the tree. ( Less maint and protects the tree from insects that can eventually kill it.) Cable with premade rubber coating of some sort ( or home made) protects the bark.
Note: We have a stand off of an old oak that was used by my grand dad when he was a kid.....and currently used by my grand kids ......so a good tree will last generations in the Ozarks.
Note: Most of our permanent stands are built " up in" the trees.

2. The roof: A metal roof will be loud as all get out in a rainstorm. Most hearing will be masked by rainfall regardless, but a metal roof will pretty much reduce hearing to 0. I prefer a simple wood roof via treated 4x8 plywood.

Note: If a " lean to " style, angle it away from your primary field of view and/ or utilize gutters. I like rain gutters simply as another way to collect water.

3 . Maintenance: Minimal is optimum, but should not be overlooked. Especially using stairs instead of a ladder design......which is a very interesting idea and use this more often in TX vs the Ozarks. With well made materials, less maint. One thing that should not be overlooked = maintaining your fields/ areas of observation ....especially with multiple directions involved. Simply put = Some brush/ tree limb clearing may be in order. ( You may not wanna cut down entire trees simply to remove a few branches from line of sight if your the landowner). If that's the case here, and this is " seasonal " hunting, a good time to do this is late summer.
Also note that a open roof such as this will attract barn swallows into making nests inside. ( As you already know, very messy.)

On a side note: Have found unwanted guests sittin in our permanent stands in the past. ( Trespassers / illegal hunters). Typically from the cities. Ya know.......the smart a$$ types who think they know it all, have a plan, etc........
Have a plan in case you run i to this. ( Mine is the following....... Pre shtf = gunpoint until sherrif arrives. Post shtf = a backhoe. )

Good luck with your project.

11B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,918 Times in 2,838 Posts

I've seen a raised platform made from telephone poles, treated 4x4's, & even well pipe. There is one near where I hunt on a high spoil bank overlooking a meadow.
My friend built one and set it up with the forks of the tractor.
I don't recommend attaching it on or near a tree. That tree will always become a problem when shooting. Map out your shooting lanes, then set the stand, be free standing, at the cross roads of them lanes.
I built a stand from the pipes of a chain link fence for legs. With correct bracing, 12' was really nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 10:24 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,677 Times in 4,814 Posts

Get something like this (https://www.amazon.com/HME-Multi-Use.../dp/B07BGJ5ZQ8) to attach the posts to the bottom of your blind, cross brace the posts and you can easily move the blind with a skidsteer.

Anchor the blind with a mobile home tornado anchor. You don't need to go near as big with the lumber unless you're building a massive blind.

We have 3-4 home built box blinds and make them tallest in the front so that we can stand up in them and then they slope to the back. Single flat roof angle. Some blinds have sliding windows, flip out windows or no windows. Biggest things for us is: something to cut the winter wind, place to sit down and have a secure rest, and get an elevated position so that you can see better above the brush.
The Following User Says Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 11:56 AM

Runamok touched on something important, windows.

Do your homework on them.

I would shy away from commercial windows because the structure will shift and possibly jam them. Maybe if they were set in a fairly solid welded metal frame?

Plexiglass deteriorates in the sun. Put a metal cover over them for off season? A high stand can make for difficult maintenance.

Our original stands just had flop down or lift up panels of whatever siding we used. Kinda drafty in winter.

Deer stands are an evolution process.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:09 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,239 Times in 3,577 Posts

Mine is simply a 4'x8' building with a window set about 10-11 off of the the ground (on a hillside). If I were on level ground with the deer, I would have gone a little higher.

Fully enclosed with a double pane window.

Here are a couple of pictures during construction. One close up and one from the deer's vantage point.

Been taking deer from it regularly for 9 years now.

Al

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Always looking for .458 SOCOM brass, Bayonets and Surplus gun parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 PM

I think these mirrored stands are a really cool concept, but kinda unnecessary.

You could hunt off of a Mardi Gras float, as long as it had been in place for a week or two. Deer seem to adapt to things near a feeder fairly quick.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,677 Times in 4,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Diehl View Post
Mine is simply a 4'x8' building with a window set about 10-11 off of the the ground (on a hillside). If I were on level ground with the deer, I would have gone a little higher.

Fully enclosed with a double pane window.

Here are a couple of pictures during construction. One close up and one from the deer's vantage point.

Been taking deer from it regularly for 9 years now.

Al
How bad does that camo fade? Where did you get it? I like that it breaks up the big square trying to hide in the woods. We usually spray paint camo our box blinds.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
How bad does that camo fade? Where did you get it? I like that it breaks up the big square trying to hide in the woods. We usually spray paint camo our box blinds.
It hasn't faded as badly as I thought that it would. It is still effective after 9 years. I did spray paint (camo) the upper part of the window since I only look out of the bottom part.
I bought the Camo OSB at Lowes.

Al

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”- Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,278 Times in 692 Posts

They sell that camo OSB at HD and lowes every year around fall. I believe its roughly $30 a sheet. Never used it my self but i do know OSB dosnt last long outside.

Have any current pictures of that blind AL?
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
They sell that camo OSB at HD and lowes every year around fall. I believe its roughly $30 a sheet. Never used it my self but i do know OSB dosnt last long outside.

Have any current pictures of that blind AL?
I'll try to get some updated pics.

The OSB has lasted very well. No signs of deterioration as far as I can see. The Camo PSB has a kind of plastic coating on it and it seem to protect it very well.

Al

Old 07-24-2019, 07:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,139 Posts

Quote:

Sounds like overkill to me unless you weigh 500 lbs.