Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 40 01-02-2019 10:00 PM
Korean war coming to an end Jdog67 General Discussion 127 05-03-2018 06:04 AM
orienterring Trooper2221 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 05-02-2018 02:32 PM
How Would You set this Declination ? surfcast Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 04-12-2017 06:29 AM
Buying a compass roof_top_eagle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 12-14-2016 08:24 PM

Old 01-17-2019, 11:05 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,778 Times in 1,960 Posts
Default Migrating Magnetic North Pole

Advertise Here

I'm not that familiar with the scenario of the flipping of the magnetic poles but because some are, I'm posting these two articles about recent moving of the magnetic field.

Back in March there was an article about the earth's magnetic pole "wobbling":

Quote:
"At the heart of the matter, geologists believe, is a disturbance in the outer core of the Earth’s interior (2900km below the surface). This superheated pool of molten metal is what generates the magnetic field.

“If we look at our best numerical simulations of a magnetic field reversal, this is the type of pattern we see right before a reversal,” says Professor Tarduno. “We don’t know if the current (anomaly) will lead to a full reversal.”

If the anomaly continues to grow, a larger patch of near-orbit and our planet will become increasingly exposed to harmful rays and solar storms.

The last time Earth’s magnetic poles reversed was some 780,000 years ago.

About 40,000 years ago, it underwent a dramatic ‘wobble’, but didn't’ quite topple.

But it’s a process that takes thousands of years to unfold.

Which is incredibly fast in geological terms.

“We’ve known for quite some time that the magnetic field has been changing, but we didn’t really know if this was unusual for this region on a longer timescale, or whether it was normal,” says University of Rochester physicist Dr Vincent Hare."

End Quote. See:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...6d6400b69fab94

Now there's an update as there have been some dramatic shifts in the magnetic field and that will require an urgent update in the program that governs navigational systems.

Quote:

"Planet Earth is alive. Deep beneath its skin, its life blood — rivers of molten iron — pulse around its core. And this mobile iron is what generates the magnetic field that causes auroras — and keeps us alive.

But, according to the science journal Nature, something strange is going on deep down below.

It’s causing the magnetic North Pole to ‘skitter’ away from Canada, towards Siberia... Initially, it was tracked moving into the Arctic Ocean at a rate of about 15km each year. But, since the mid 1990s, it has picked up speed. It’s now shifting at a rate of about 55km a year."

End Quote. See:
https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...38836c6097be9d
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 AM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,309 Times in 434 Posts

Somebody call Al Gore. I am sure he can figure out another off the wall tax scheme that will stop it. Since cars are causing global warming the compass is causing magnetic creep.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigSlick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 12:23 AM
American made

Suspicious0bservers has a whole series about this. Start with "The Next End of the World | C.I.A. Classified" at

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,997 Times in 7,514 Posts

Because some people for some weird reason think it works this way: You won't see physical changes in the Earth. If we didn't have electricity or compasses we wouldn't even notice.

What you will see is a disruption of some technology. The field is also weakening and developing multiple north and south poles. This will disrupt navigation that relies on a compass. It will also make us MUCH more vulnerable to lower level CMEs that hit Earth much more often than the X23 or whatever that caused the Carrington Event. What are harmless CMEs that cause nothing but a light show now, will cause power outages with a weakened magnetic field. So if it gets weak enough we could be looking at a grid down scenario every couple years, which could make it really hard or at least really expensive to recover.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,055 Times in 303 Posts

My first thought after reading this was, another natural phenomenon that affects climate change more than man and something out of our control that someone is going to try to say is a result of human activity.

The earth is constantly changing. I saw a program on TV, Nova or some documentary. It was about Italy. They stated that the boot part is and has been swinging towards Greece a couple of inches a year. Further, there are 3 spots along my daily commute where the road (2 four-lane + turn lane & 1 six-lane interstate) buckles in a straight line from one side to the other. They get ground down to level at least once a year and they occur at the same location. The ground moves. I have not checked, and wouldn't know where to, if there has been any slight (fractions of inches) changes in elevation.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
My first thought after reading this was, another natural phenomenon that affects climate change more than man and something out of our control that someone is going to try to say is a result of human activity.

The earth is constantly changing. I saw a program on TV, Nova or some documentary. It was about Italy. They stated that the boot part is and has been swinging towards Greece a couple of inches a year. Further, there are 3 spots along my daily commute where the road (2 four-lane + turn lane & 1 six-lane interstate) buckles in a straight line from one side to the other. They get ground down to level at least once a year and they occur at the same location. The ground moves. I have not checked, and wouldn't know where to, if there has been any slight (fractions of inches) changes in elevation.
The magnetic pole has no impact on climate or weather, nor plate tectonics. It affects the amount of radioactivity (both particle and electromagnetic) that reaches the surface of the planet, as well as prevents solar wind from slowly sheering particles off the top of our atmosphere. That's basically it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,900 Times in 7,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
The magnetic pole has no impact on climate or weather, nor plate tectonics. It affects the amount of radioactivity (both particle and electromagnetic) that reaches the surface of the planet, as well as prevents solar wind from slowly sheering particles off the top of our atmosphere. That's basically it.
There may not be a direct causation but the magnetic pole changes have a better correlation to temp changes than CO2.

As you probably already know I use the lower 48 temps as my sample area. It is large enough and located such that it give an honest sample of the northern hemisphere.

So you pick. Do you want me to run the correlation between latitude movement or field strength change? Do you want me to run the numbers since 1900 or start later when the temp changes accelerated?

I do not want to play a guessing game with you. So you pick the "x" variable and time period and do you want the "y" variable expressed in F or C.

I will give you the correlation equation and the R squared value.

I have NOAA temps, CO2 in ppm, sunspot annual average totals per day, movement of the magnetic and geomagnetic poles, and field strength decline.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:50 PM
One with everything...

Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,225 Posts

All we have to do is ask the people who were here 780,000 years ago...

Never mind, that''s kind of tough. :lol: We could probably read what they wrote about it...

Yeah, that won't work either.

I figure it this way... if it happens, it happens. Not too terrible much we can do about it. Hopefully we won't be all wiped back to rodents when the van allen belt changes over... and we get hit with all that solar radiation...

But I'm more worried about the rapidly approaching 10 billion population mark in 30 years, and all the pollution (of all kinds) that we haven't yet been able to cut back on. I mean, sure, we all live on the debris of the epochs before, but stacking it on up on the surface where we live and breathe because we can doesn't necessarily make it a good idea...
Old 01-19-2019, 05:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna View Post

But I'm more worried about the rapidly approaching 10 billion population mark in 30 years, and all the pollution (of all kinds) that we haven't yet been able to cut back on.
I try not to worry about what I cannot control. What I can control is what I know to be true. There are many things that "could happen" which is the most often phrase used by conmen. You read post from people that have fallen for the "could happen" con here daily.

I like facts and data, logically applied. They add up to knowledge. In the true sense of the word that is what prepping is all about. Knowledge of what to have and what to do when what you have no control over comes.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 PM
Probably Dislikes You

Thanked 36,406 Times in 5,818 Posts

The fact is that no human alive knows what will happen if the magnetic poles shift radically.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mere_Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 11:57 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere_Man View Post
The fact is that no human alive knows what will happen if the magnetic poles shift radically.
Yes we do. It's happened numerous times and we have abundant evidence on what does and does not happen when the magnetic poles shift radically with a huge sample size.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Yes we do. It's happened numerous times and we have abundant evidence on what does and does not happen when the magnetic poles shift radically with a huge sample size.
Yes we have an idea but it occurs over a 300 to a 1,000 year period. Now that is relatively quickly given the totality of time but slow enough for humans to prep and react unlike previous reversals.

The trick is. Stop believing in the myth that all this is caused by CO2.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,641 Times in 10,724 Posts

I don't blame the North pole. If I had to live in such a frigid area I would want to migrate also. Somewhere South where there was sunny beaches and good looking women.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I don't blame the North pole. If I had to live in such a frigid area I would want to migrate also. Somewhere South where there was sunny beaches and good looking women.
I don't think moving from Northern Canada to Siberia is the best way to go though.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Probably Dislikes You

Thanked 36,406 Times in 5,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere_Man View Post
Quote:

"Theories", "hypotheses", "possibilities", "opinions", "arguments, "proposals", "scenarios", "estimates", & "possibilities" are words always included in the study and reporting of geomagnetic reversal.

Every 10 yrs or so since this subject was "discovered" the "experts" have new "evidence" on what we're dealing with.

In the end, bottom line is that none of them know for sure what will happen to human life should there be a geomagnetic reversal.

If anyone is really interested in this subject, versus hearing feel good BS, search out the info for yourself. You still won't know exactly what will happen but you may take comfort in your inability to change a thing in the matter and push it out of the way of your day to day thoughts and preps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mere_Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 07:59 PM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
I'm not that familiar with the scenario of the flipping of the magnetic poles but because some are, I'm posting these two articles about recent moving of the magnetic field.

Back in March there was an article about the earth's magnetic pole "wobbling":

Quote:
"At the heart of the matter, geologists believe, is a disturbance in the outer core of the Earth’s interior (2900km below the surface). This superheated pool of molten metal is what generates the magnetic field.

“If we look at our best numerical simulations of a magnetic field reversal, this is the type of pattern we see right before a reversal,” says Professor Tarduno. “We don’t know if the current (anomaly) will lead to a full reversal.”

If the anomaly continues to grow, a larger patch of near-orbit and our planet will become increasingly exposed to harmful rays and solar storms.

The last time Earth’s magnetic poles reversed was some 780,000 years ago.

About 40,000 years ago, it underwent a dramatic ‘wobble’, but didn't’ quite topple.

But it’s a process that takes thousands of years to unfold.

Which is incredibly fast in geological terms.

“We’ve known for quite some time that the magnetic field has been changing, but we didn’t really know if this was unusual for this region on a longer timescale, or whether it was normal,” says University of Rochester physicist Dr Vincent Hare."

End Quote. See:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...6d6400b69fab94

Now there's an update as there have been some dramatic shifts in the magnetic field and that will require an urgent update in the program that governs navigational systems.

Quote:

"Planet Earth is alive. Deep beneath its skin, its life blood — rivers of molten iron — pulse around its core. And this mobile iron is what generates the magnetic field that causes auroras — and keeps us alive.

But, according to the science journal Nature, something strange is going on deep down below.

It’s causing the magnetic North Pole to ‘skitter’ away from Canada, towards Siberia... Initially, it was tracked moving into the Arctic Ocean at a rate of about 15km each year. But, since the mid 1990s, it has picked up speed. It’s now shifting at a rate of about 55km a year."

End Quote. See:
https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...38836c6097be9d

Yeah the continents are moving eastward now instead of north due to ice loss. This will create some changes but as far as a polar reversal.. that is guesswork. There is a lot of stuff going on right now with subsurface changes, and surface weight changes. This is not a new process but as with all manmade stuff the rate is accelerated. A pole reversal is possible but there isn't enough known about the deep composition or movement of the planet to evaluate how that will happen. The data doesn't exist to analyze that.

The rate of movement has sped up (more earthquakes expected) but it is still very very slow. We are dealing with decades and century timescales if not millenia on major changes. The only way it would matter a lot is if we were near the tipping point to start with. The changes will cause minor effects, but overall should not be drastically different within our lifetime. I do think the core will get more active though as the earth is exposed to more energy. This should in fact cause more geothermal activity. Its hard to imagine but we are dealing with gigatons of change, it is actually a large amount of resources and weight that are being altered each year.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:25 PM
Survivor

..........Dipole
........ Moment
Year 10^22Am^2
1900 8.32
1905 8.3
1910 8.27
1915 8.24
1920 8.2
1925 8.16
1930 8.13
1935 8.11
1940 8.09
1945 8.08
1950 8.06
1955 8.05
1960 8.03
1965 8
1970 7.97
1975 7.94
1980 7.91
1985 7.87
1990 7.84
1995 7.81
2000 7.79
2005 7.77
2010 7.75
2011 7.74
2012 7.74
2013 7.73
2014 7.73
2015 7.72
2016 7.72
2017 7.72

Do the math yourself. Check out the % decrease in straight and the rate of change for each 5 year period.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:33 PM
Survivor

Attention administration! Why can people enter any number of line spaces between written lines for no reason but if one tries to post a spreadsheet the blank spaces are omitted making the data difficult to read.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:11 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,316 Times in 960 Posts

If cosmic rays kill commies I'm all for them
Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Honyock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
If cosmic rays kill commies I'm all for them

LOL, me too.