Gerber LMF II review - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gerber Machette JR Review oneprepahead Reviews and questions 0 01-09-2013 04:20 PM
Gerber Freeman Drop Point S30V Review Varmit Knives, Swords & Axes 6 12-21-2012 09:34 PM
gerber lmf 2 review bowhunter1130 Knives, Swords & Axes 0 12-20-2012 07:10 PM
Gerber metolius fixed blade review 601reconteam Knives, Swords & Axes 1 01-05-2012 07:27 AM
Need a Review of the Gerber Freeman Dross Knives, Swords & Axes 9 06-02-2011 08:27 AM
my review on the gerber machete. shdybrady Knives, Swords & Axes 15 03-03-2011 11:52 AM
gerber machete review...? CPL_BS_88 Knives, Swords & Axes 10 08-01-2010 12:32 PM
Product review of Gerber Paraframe kev Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos 10 07-23-2010 02:39 PM
Gerber Big Rock Camp Knife - Review BJJ_Grappler Reviews and questions 3 01-07-2009 07:03 PM
Gerber gator video review spenceNC Knives, Swords & Axes 1 08-09-2008 01:18 PM

Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 AM

Advertise Here

Thanks for sharing all the info with us. I just purchased one on ebay. Saved around $30 total.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 32,083 Times in 13,399 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Great review, thanks. I have been a fan of Gerber for years and have been looking at this knife or the Prodigy. The review is definitely helping me narrow it down, but I'll probably end up getting both.

I did run across a site that has both these knives on sale, that I'd like to share with you guys.

Gerber LMF II around $80:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/lmfiiasek.html

Gerber Prodigy under $50:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/geprcocokn.html

Glad to share the wealth.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:52 PM
African Bush and Beaches

I also think that is a great knife and fit all my uses. While i understand the difference between straight and serrated blades I believe that the combo edge is perfect in todays world. If you are a bush craft person and only use your knife on 'organic' material then it is fine, but as soon as you have to start cutting man made stuff this is where the serrated edge really comes into its own. The leatherman tools are great but not nice as a kitchen tool. I travel with a leatherman surge, a straight edge folder 3.75 " and a combo edge folder of the same length. I am considering the LMF11 now as i can make it a compromise between the two folders. I travel in Africa most of my time, from cities to the plantations and distant places and a knife comes in handy most times even if it is to open a tin or bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Prepared

Just a quick reply that you can get the buck nighthawk w/serrations at Wally World. That's where I got mine at.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM
The Jed.

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,016 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Great Review man. I have one in Coyote Tan. And the only downside to the knife is the sheath, when you use the knife as a hammer, the blade can cut through the hard plastic lining of the sheath and cut through the sheath itself. The way the made the serrations on this knife is pretty decent, instead of being the large sawtooth serrations they are smaller, about as close to a straight edge as you can get without having one, and still having a serrated cutting edge.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Prophet

i was undecided on a knife purchase until i saw the destruction tests.
that did it for me.
i love my gerber lmf2, and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

peace
al
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 AM

great review how good of an edge does the lmf2 hold for stainless steel
Old 10-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Live Clean, Fight dirty

Thanked 1,078 Times in 620 Posts

Great review on the Gerber Lmf 2 A.S.E.K.. I have been researching this knife for a while and now I am convinced to buy it. One thing I did find out about the knife is that only the Gerber Lmf 2 A.S.E.K. is made totally in the USA. The others in the group I believe the blade are made in the USA but the rest is not. Also the sheaths are different. For anyone who is interested the actual number of the Gerber Lmf A.S.E.K. is 22-01627. Hope this was helpful to somebody.
The Following User Says Thank You to trophytr669 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Survive... for what?

Thanked 1,410 Times in 575 Posts

Im still waiting for the $hit Heads at LA Police Gear to get me my LMF... its been 4 weeks now since I returned the Gerber Prodigy they sent me by mistake.

I want to get an LMF for my EDC/Get Home Bag and one for my BOB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Discordish For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,732 Posts

Im torn between the gerber and a RC4.....any thoughts?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Live Clean, Fight dirty

I finally got my Gerber LMF 2 A.S.E.K and I love it. Its sturdy, strong, and feel nice in the hand. The sheath is better than it looks on line. Hands down worth every penny. I got mine on ebay for a $115, certified with the right cerial # 22-01627.

Any how I would recommend this to everyone, quality and 100% American Made.
The Following User Says Thank You to trophytr669 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:02 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,084 Times in 612 Posts

I like the becker knives due to fact you can remove grips to make it into a spear and other tools.hoffman harpoon but thats breaking bank.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 PM

wow that is one awesome gerber knife. the style is awesome. great review.

i dont know if its just me but the videos are not playing
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almac View Post
i was undecided on a knife purchase until i saw the destruction tests.
that did it for me.
i love my gerber lmf2, and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

peace
al
The Destruction Tests were interesting and they do indicate the durability of a product, but do not really indicate how useful it could be per se... only how much it takes to totally devastate it.

Realistically, in a survival scenario (urban or non) one may need to peel an apple (or whittle a fish spear or trap trigger, etc.), then baton through some tough wood, then chip away at gravel or even concrete, only to need to peel an apple again (or some other delicate work) - can it return to that level of operation?

I am looking for something that can serve as a "last knife" - meaning a knife I can have, use, in some cases abuse, and NEVER need to replace (theoretically). If we encounter a serious situation, Gerber may not be around to sell you another ;-)

This knife may perform that well... dunno. Interested to find out.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Live Clean, Fight dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
The Destruction Tests were interesting and they do indicate the durability of a product, but do not really indicate how useful it could be per se... only how much it takes to totally devastate it.

Realistically, in a survival scenario (urban or non) one may need to peel an apple (or whittle a fish spear or trap trigger, etc.), then baton through some tough wood, then chip away at gravel or even concrete, only to need to peel an apple again (or some other delicate work) - can it return to that level of operation?

I am looking for something that can serve as a "last knife" - meaning a knife I can have, use, in some cases abuse, and NEVER need to replace (theoretically). If we encounter a serious situation, Gerber may not be around to sell you another ;-)

This knife may perform that well... dunno. Interested to find out.
The LMF in the end is still a knife. Through the tests you can see it is durable, but for the most part, should be used in a proper manner when in a survival situation. The reality is if you are going to use this for chipping concrete instead of getting a hammer, the will not hold up as long, and eventually be less effective.

Your not going to effectively cut a oak tree down with it but it does not mean its not a good knife.LOL

Its a great knife, but unless no other choice is available, use the right tool for the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trophytr669 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM

I have to agree. I recently pulled the trigger on one of these as well. Portland, OR Made Coyote Brown with 2lg strap holster.

I have been researching the various survival knives out there from, RTAK Knives, TOPS, Spyderco, Custom Makers, etc.

I chose the LMF because I think it offers everything I need in one knife. I have a folder for smaller work. If I need to do any serious chopping/sawing, I'll just get a hatchet/axe/folding saw. Right tool for the job always is a good motto and ensures your tools, in their proper usage, remain reliable for years. When you start using one tool for something it's not designed for/great at, I think you run the risk of ruining your gear or not accomplishing the task adequately/efficiently. You can put a price on being efficient in my opinion.

All in all I'm initially very impressed. Can't wait to field test it soon. (Just got it yesterday). It is a beast of a knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to njenkins For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 AM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophytr669 View Post
I finally got my Gerber LMF 2 A.S.E.K and I love it. Its sturdy, strong, and feel nice in the hand. The sheath is better than it looks on line. Hands down worth every penny. I got mine on ebay for a $115, certified with the right cerial # 22-01627.

Any how I would recommend this to everyone, quality and 100% American Made.
which steel is this serial number?
Im going to get one soon just waiting fot the spare cash
Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Mine is serial 22-01463; Steel is 12C27. The one above is the same but Sandvik. It is also about 40 bucks more pricey as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to njenkins For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Prophet

i have had my LMF2 for about 2 summers now.
its a great knife, although i think the sheath is a bit lacking. even tho it has a built in sharpner, i think i would've preferred a nylon sheath wth an accessory pocket for a ferro rod instead. can't remember who did it, but someone on this site had a thread about their sheath setup... was pretty nice.
i've used mine for some light battoning and the blade is still sharp. Black finish on the blade is now a bit scratched, but everything else is fine.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Live Clean, Fight dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftothestars View Post
which steel is this serial number?
Im going to get one soon just waiting fot the spare cash
I believe the steel is the same on all of them. Now the grip the sheath and and the extras are not. According to the Gerber web site when I bought mine, the 22-01627 was the only one 100% made in USA. Now this was because it was a military edition and it had to be. I believe the other versions are nice just not all 100% made in USA which is why they are almost 50 to 60 dollars cheaper.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Gebe...n/10792/Cat/19

Now Gerber has discontinued the 22-01627, I am not sure why maybe people were buying more of the cheaper versions. But you can still find them.

If you Google Gerber LMF ii ASEK 22-01627 you can still find a bunch for sale. Also on Ebay where I found mine type the same thing.

Just be careful people advertise some as the ASEK even when there not, so look for the serial number 22-01627.

But from what I have read on hear for the most part they are all great knives, I know I love mine.