Article - How To Pick a Skinning Knife - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Bolt Knife Thread (U.S.A.F. Pilot Survival Knife) LostViking Knives, Swords & Axes 35 09-18-2019 08:01 PM
My thoughts on INCH kits Jerry D Young Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 99 08-11-2019 10:58 AM
Would you trade name value for utilitarian value? Popeye Doyle Knives, Swords & Axes 62 07-27-2017 12:53 AM
How many here watch my youtube videos? kev General Discussion 75 01-26-2017 05:27 AM
Best knife for skinning elk..actually cutting the hide? northslope Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 9 10-28-2016 10:18 AM

Old 12-02-2016, 12:38 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,651 Times in 904 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossA View Post
"440 Stainless - Difficult to sharpen and does not hold an edge. *There are different grades of 440, such as A, B and C. *Rather than trying to figure out the grade the blade is made from, just avoid 44 stainless all together."

Why not just do a little research and find out which grade of 440 is being used? Properly heat treated, 440C is a great workhorse, holds an edge really well, and is not at all difficult to sharpen if you know what you are doing.
I have an old Efingham IL Blackjack in 440A and the heat treat is perfect. It's tough and holds edges better than any of today's S30V.

I tried to sell it online couple years ago and some flakey collector grilled me on it's a fake, not real, why such a low price (just wanted to get it in the hands of someone who'd appreciate it). So I sent him pics of it chopping down trees, I even hammered (with a baton) it through a 6" tree so he could see how tough it was, a fake wouldn't handle that.

When I was done I just cleaned it up and it honestly could still be sold as never used. Edge didn't even notice the use, still perfect.

I might have to see if I still have the pic.

Even 440A is a great steel.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Here's a picture of my Old Hickory butcher knife...

It has a 7 inch long blade that's 2mm thick and made of carbon steel. I believe folks are telling me it would be OK for processing a hog, no?
Yeah, that'll do it.

Good luck on the hog.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 AM

The knife style that has stood the test of time (200/300 years) is exemplified by the Old Hickory butchers, boners and slicers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 03:05 AM

what a nice arsenal
Old 02-22-2018, 01:49 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,960 Posts

Its been a few years since I had to skin anything but for deer its was always the Swibo Lamb skinning knife for me. Easy to keep sharp and and fairly inexpensive.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,432 Times in 7,086 Posts

My dad found an old Schrade in the woods one year, the handle was rotted out, so he used an antler to fix it. The blade is pitted but still sharpens great.

My "animal" knives: Dad's Schrade, an Old Timer butcher style, a Gerber Gator, the Rapala filet knives, and a few others.... just ignore that dagger style survival boot knife with the cool hollow handle....

Old 10-21-2019, 06:06 AM

I like my Gurkha Kukri Plus, order on Amazon as other people)

This kukri is 17 inches long with a 12-inch blade that provides sufficient cutting area and itís excellently balanced. The blade thins out towards the tip, making it perfect for piercing through thick targets pretty much effortless. The blade thickness is 5/16 inches and it can cut most hard materials without bending. Cold Steel gave this knife a forward blade weight to enhance cutting with the least possible effort. The handle is excellently gripped for comfortable holding and there is hand guard at the top of the handle to prevent fingers getting into contact with the sharp blade.

I'm sure my love for him is justified