Invisible fencing for cattle & other livestock? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique my goat cattle field fencing and gate kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 51 09-22-2019 04:08 AM
fencing to keep horses out zliminator DIY - Do It Yourself 20 01-18-2015 05:46 PM
Fencing in of my school sherwhoz Ladies Section 2 03-29-2014 04:44 PM
Fencing opinions somc74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 11-27-2013 12:05 AM
anyone else carry fencing pliers in bug out bag westrobbinslegend Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 89 10-12-2012 01:41 PM
Electric Fencing wch DIY - Do It Yourself 12 08-04-2012 01:00 AM
Earth Bag Fencing momto14 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-12-2012 04:05 PM
Chicken fencing? 9MMare Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 03-11-2012 11:07 PM
What kind of fencing? JoeKan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 11-15-2009 06:18 AM
Invisible RFID Ink Safe For Cattle And People 411man General Discussion 8 03-13-2009 12:51 AM

Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,567 Times in 718 Posts
Question Invisible fencing for cattle & other livestock?

Advertise Here

I did a search for this and came across a couple articles that were "theories" that it would work & wanted you to buy the full report - so no go for now.

Invisible fence works for dogs and other pets and use a collar with a battery powered shocker to shock the animal when it gets near the fence. The animal learns not to go near b/c of the shocks. It usually doesn't take long for most to learn.

The reason I ask is because it would probably cost almost the same to get collars (but larger than dog collars) and install fencing vs installing traditional fencing. The reason is because the traditional fencing would be a hindrance in many cases and a total impedance in others.

I'm wondering if this can or has been applied to cattle, sheep or goats. I know they use cattle prods which are much stronger than stun guns, so they respond to shocking. I would think the smaller animals may need less current (less batteries then) so different collars maybe needed.

Is this idea possible at all?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,448 Times in 1,372 Posts

I dout it would work, particularly on cattle. Cattle seem to be able to work out when a electric fence isn't working in a very short time and go and reck it. My theory is they constantly test the fence but don't put any pressure on it and when it stops biting them they just walk over it. If this is he case, electric shocks don't hold a lot of fear for them. Remember years ago reading about some research being done on something like this(cant recall what they were using) but they were skiting that it worked something like 95% of the time. Not sure if that ment if you had 100 cattle, 5 would nick off on you or if it ment ever 100 days any given cow would get out 5 times. Any way you look at it, not very satisfactory.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,897 Times in 3,813 Posts

The fence is there to keep things out as well.

I would imagine the setup would require custom collars and batteries, not cheap, and they would need to be replaced often.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonid For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,070 Times in 14,251 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Collars and batteries on cattle would require that your cattle are pets.

There are cultures that train cattle to be like pets, but it is rare in our culture.

We have pigs. They are very friendly and love to be pet / scratched. I have fitted chest harnesses on them before. But an electric fence is cheap. Pigs are easy to train to an electric fence, and the adults never challenge it.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Most people have enough trouble with conventional wire fences, and 2 strand electric fencing containing livestock. It is visible and the critters learn to stay away from it. We used to have some bulls from Mexico that could jump any fence around to get to the next bunch of cows.

I have seen lots of dogs and one wolf ignore invisible fencing. I can't imagine getting enough power to stop an animal the size of a bovine. Solar powered electric fence is probably your cheapest option for something that will work.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Prepared

Our neighbor tried it on his chow, the dog would take a running start and just take the shock as he passed over the wire and keep going.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlin1358 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM
All over Europe

Thanked 8,722 Times in 2,524 Posts

No way would this work on a cow. They need to SEE the obstacle: the fence wire. Nobody wants an intelligent cow, so intelligence has been bred out of them. A cow would have to be intelligent enough to realize there is current between wherever Point A and Point B run. They just wouldn't be able to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to foxkitten86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Fox,
I beg to differ. We have bred cattle to be docile, not stupid. Cattle learn the country they live on and have collective memory, especially the old cows. They know where to go in a storm, when it is cold, where to always find water, etc. When ranchers are forced to sell off their herds, it takes years for the next herd to re-learn all of those lessons.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,184 Posts

Fences are meant to be impedances. That's the point. It's not just the jolt that keeps the animals in, it's the resistance of the material. If you have any mind to keep your cattle, get a real fence and don't be cheap about it. Get the high tensile stuff and never look back.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Target Shooter

I agree with bertzie. High tensile hot wire is relatively cheap and inexpensive and with a solar charger on a 12v battery they can last for a good long while.