Kerosene Storage - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Term Storage Of Kerosene SouthernSurvivalist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 01-26-2018 12:45 PM
Where do you buy kerosene? SnakeRanch Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 40 09-16-2015 07:02 PM
Kerosene capable storage? spockmckoy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 04-04-2015 08:53 AM
Kerosene storage Canadian_Prepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 09-11-2014 07:57 AM
Is kerosene on the way out? reb4life Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 12-18-2012 07:50 AM
Kerosene storage ??? surfcast Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-24-2012 09:32 PM
Jet-A instead of kerosene txflyer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 10-12-2011 04:59 PM
kerosene Tugger General Discussion 5 12-08-2010 09:53 PM
Gas & Kerosene storage RandynCindy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 07-23-2010 08:13 AM
For those of you considering Kerosene stuff cranky1950 Urban Survival 8 11-16-2009 05:57 PM

Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,543 Times in 1,508 Posts

Advertise Here

Does kerosen require a specific can for storage and transportation like the red gas cans?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
1 riot 1 ranger

Thanked 1,679 Times in 830 Posts

red cans are for gas, blue and white I use for kero.

I have kept 25 gal. of kero on hand at all times for the last thirty years, no problems. What a fuking rip off the price is. $3.65 a gal. here.
The Following User Says Thank You to kemosabe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,303 Times in 7,852 Posts

I'am storing my kerosene in 15 gallon drums. The red level is 4 feet long and is just for scale. The local feed and fertilizer sell these drums for like $10, and they had some kind of syrup in them that was used to make dr. pepper soft drink.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,227 Times in 3,494 Posts

Last week I used two 5 gal containers of kerosene that I bought last year. Worked fine.

I read on a website recently that kerosene is not good after 30 days, after that it has degraded too much to use and should be disposed of. I tried hard not to laugh.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 PM

I have a few hundred gallons stored in a shed in 55 gallon closed head metal drums. I have use a small portion every year with this year being an exception - 20 gallons - due to the cold. My heat pump is very inefficient once we get lower than 35f and I burn one down stairs (23k btu model you see everywhere). I have heard some people having problems with algae just like long term diesel storage but I would think this would require sunlight. It is worth a googling around to see. It is the only fuel I would consider storing in such quantity and I can use it for cooking and heating.
The Following User Says Thank You to courtknee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Target Shooter

We keep 60+ gal at all times. I'm looking for another barrel right now. The only detriment to K1 is air. Keep it sealed and you're good to go for 20+ years. Can be used for heat, cooking and lighting, Right now @ $4.29 / gal it is expensive, but what price would you give post SHTF?
Old 07-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Prepared

mac, interesting your cost in 1/14. today, 7/15, I just bought some K1 @ $3.99/gal. I am going to do some comparing for the future as far as degradation goes. My K1 is crystal clear today. I'm storing in white plastic barrels. Pretty much air tight with tightened bung hole cap/gasket. K I've had on site for 5+ yrs looks a bit yellow. I never looked at it when I bought it so it may have been this color all along?? The old is stored in old blue plastic 5 gal containers.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:29 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,558 Times in 1,874 Posts

I used a kerosene heater to heat my new house for the entire winter last winter. (The kerosene heater is just a temporary heating system - I don't plan to use it long-term.)

My heater is a DynaGlo 23,000 BTU convection heater - here is a link:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/36889666?w...129849&veh=sem

Clear K1 kerosene is hard to come by in this area, so I bought Jet A fuel at our local airport. Jet A fuel is almost identical, chemically, to clear K1 kerosene.

I stored the fuel in blue plastic 5-gallon cans.

As others have said, kerosene is a stable fuel that will keep for a long time (many years) without additives. It is my understanding that people sometimes have problems with moisture (water) in kerosene, tho. I presume this can happen if you are storing a partially empty can of kerosene in a cold environment - because, I guess, condensation can form on the inside of the can??? You can buy a special funnel called "Mr. Funnel" that ostensibly takes care of this problem - you pour the kerosene through the funnel, and the funnel removes moisture from it.

I stored the blue 5-gal cans of Jet A in the house. I had no qualms about doing this, as the Jet A fuel is not at all volatile.

I didn't have a problem with moisture in the Jet A last winter - at least I don't think I did - however, near the end of the winter my kerosene heater, which had been working pretty well for months, started behaving strangely, and eventually I was unable to light it. I think it likely that the problems occurred because the wick needs attention - but perhaps that was not the problem - perhaps instead some of my Jet A did have moisture in it, and maybe that is why my heater started behaving strangely. (I did not have the Mr. Funnel last winter. I just purchased it a few weeks ago.)

As others have said, getting the fuel from a can into the fuel tank on a kerosene heater can be a challenge. I tried several gadgets before settling on a hard-plastic, tall, narrow funnel with a long neck. I will try to remember to take a photo of it and post it in this thread.

The fuel-transfer gadgets that did not work out well are:

- The cheap manual pump that came in the box with the heater. It leaks. I threw it away.

- A safety siphon. There was a lot of dribbling each time I removed the siphon from the can and from the heater's fuel tank.

- Various kinds of funnels. I think I tried three funnels before settling on the tall skinny one I mentioned above. That one works great. I had to practice with it to refine my technique, but once I'd done that, the fueling process didn't create much of a mess at all. (Regardless of this, I always laid a sheet of heavy plastic down on the floor in front of the heater to catch any drips or spills.)

I always cracked a window when the heater was burning, as the heater needs a supply of air from the outside.

Once or twice a day I opened a couple windows wide for about five minutes to let out moisture in the air and to clear out any trace of carbon monoxide that might have built up in the house.

I installed a combo smoke detector/carbon-monoxide detector in the house. The alarm never went off.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 PM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtknee View Post
...and I can use it for cooking and heating.
What kind of stove do you use to cook with kerosene, and do you use it indoors, outdoors, or both?

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Follower of the Way

I have used kerosene, and while it is OK, it is about twice as expensive as LPG, and messier & has more odor when burning.

I am/have transitioned to LPG for all my backup heating fuel. and LPG lasts forever.

So you might want to consider LPG as a better alternative.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jard View Post
It's not going to freeze. I keep mine in the garage. Be sure to have some way of getting the kerosene out of the 5 gal bucket. If you were to try to just pour it out you are going to have a big mess. The hole that they provide isn't nearly large enough, and most I've seen don't come with any vent. I purchased a little siphon hand pump for around 3 bucks that works great.
i tried to look at the hand pump link and got a bunch of air pumps, and a few breast pumps, which seem unlikely to be useful for kerosene....
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 AM
MyPrepperLife

Here are two photos that show how I use a tall, narrow funnel to get kerosene from a 5-gallon can into the fuel tank of my kerosene heater.

The second photo shows how I use a twist tie to keep the funnel upright.

As I said in an earlier post, normally I put a sheet of plastic down in front of the heater when I'm fueling the heater, but I'm not showing the sheet of plastic in the photo.

https://www.copy.com/browse/a:7f3539....jpg%3Boid%3A1

https://www.copy.com/browse/a:7f3539....jpg%3Boid%3A2

Last edited by MyPrepperLife; 07-06-2015 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: I edited this post because my photos didn't show up. These links should allow people to see the photos.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,267 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nveagle View Post
How long will kerosene store for? Does it have a shelf life like gasoline?
Dont worry, it wont freeze. Stored in topped up metal jerry cans it will last decades. Check every once in a while in case there's leaks but really its as safe as storing vegetable oil in your pantry.
FerFAL
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post: