Gerber Bear Grylls vs Gerber Gator - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$13.95 for a $29.00 Gerber Bear Grylls Scout Knife GearHog GearHog 0 07-19-2013 12:00 PM
Bear Grylls gerber series Earth Warrior Knives, Swords & Axes 88 03-20-2013 01:00 PM
Gerber Paracord Knife Bear Grylls downlow Knives, Swords & Axes 0 01-18-2013 12:03 PM
$13.95 for a $29.00 Gerber Bear Grylls Scout Knife GearHog GearHog 1 10-31-2012 03:15 PM
$13.95 for a $29.00 Gerber Bear Grylls Scout Knife GearHog For Sale 0 10-31-2012 02:47 PM
Gerber Recalls Bear Grylls Parang Machetes Yehudi Knives, Swords & Axes 62 10-26-2012 10:49 AM
Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Pack $44 FS apps47inc For Sale 0 06-12-2012 12:30 AM
Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival kit.... digdug18 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 41 02-06-2012 08:48 PM

Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Default Gerber Bear Grylls vs Gerber Gator

Advertise Here

I've been looking into buying myself a nice Gerber folder for outdoor use - it would be used during hikes or hunting trips, or possibly mock survival scenarios. I've whittled down the list to two knives (actually three...): the Gerber Bear Grylls folding sheath knife (Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/bqwel3s), or the Gerber Gator clip point knife (Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/blrxzyp). Both seem like rugged, strong knives, and I am torn between the two. I would really appreciate any advice (with reasons) on which knife to choose. Both are close in price range. Thanks in advance.

P.S. About the Gerber Gator...I still need help deciding whether the clip point or drop point version is better...
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Don't Tread On Me

I mean this with no disrespect but why the gerber brand.IMO there are far better knives out there.It just seems that every knife made by them except the multitool that I have owned turned out to be a piece of crap for me.I think its the steel or heat treat or something I just never could get a good edge on them and I did have a gerber gator at one time.I have herd great things about the old one's like 80's and earlier but not the newer one's.Thats my .02
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ridgebuggy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM

Ridge,
I like Gerber mainly because I've had good experiences with their blades. Also, they are fairly inexpensive - I have other things than knives I need to put my money towards. I appreciate your response - there was definitely no disrespect there! But again, thanks for your reply. Also I like your fallout profile pic
The Following User Says Thank You to cmilli97 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Prepared

Bear Grylls is a fake. I wouldn't buy anything with his name on it.

Gerber is decent. I have had some of their multi tools. They aren't the "best" in my opinion...but fair price and good quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to lobo11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Trapper

Red Apple VS Green Apple. I vote Orange.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,811 Posts

Gerber's own inconsistency has hurt the brand in my opinion. American or Chinese, if there isn't a combination of good materials, assembly and quality control, it won't be a good knife. I have a Gator folder that is about as well-built as I could hope for out of a mass-produced knife. Not much to look at, but just a sturdy working knife that happens to be inexpensive and American-made. I have two of the BG knives you're looking at, for no other reason than I got them for a price that was so low I couldn't resist, and they've never been taken out of the packaging. Maybe I'll give them as gifts, or throw them in our "his and hers" BOBs.

Back to the inconsistency, I bought a Gator Armor and Gator Kiowa around the same time. Both are made in China and sell for similar prices, but they couldn't have been more different. The Armor is flimsy and poorly put together, while the Kiowa is one of the nicer Chinese knives I've seen and on par with SOG and Cold Steel folders in the same price range. But if I was a first-time buyer and decided on the Armor, only to discover that the blade wasn't centered and the blade won't lock in place properly, I'd probably never buy another Gerber.

Incidentally, since I mentioned SOG and Cold Steel, you might want to check out the SOG Salute, which I think is one of the best folding knives under $50. Cold Steel makes several nice ones as well, although I think their quality manufacture gets offset by some impractical designs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
Between the 2? Gator. It's made in the USA.

Drop points are stronger, clip points are more versatile. You're not gonna beat on a folder so might as well go with the clip.

Lots of other choices out there too. I throw another one into the mix.... Buck 110. It will outlive you.

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-110-Foldi...+folding+knife

Have you considered a small fixed blade?
I actually have the Case Mako, which is VERY similar to the Buck 110. My dad got it when he was a kid, and passed it down to me many years ago. Sure, the finish is wearing pretty bad, but for a 35+ year old knife, it could be worse. The blade is still strong as ever. I plan on passing it down when I have kids. I love the knife. It's my current EDC.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
Gerber's own inconsistency has hurt the brand in my opinion. American or Chinese, if there isn't a combination of good materials, assembly and quality control, it won't be a good knife. I have a Gator folder that is about as well-built as I could hope for out of a mass-produced knife. Not much to look at, but just a sturdy working knife that happens to be inexpensive and American-made. I have two of the BG knives you're looking at, for no other reason than I got them for a price that was so low I couldn't resist, and they've never been taken out of the packaging. Maybe I'll give them as gifts, or throw them in our "his and hers" BOBs.

Back to the inconsistency, I bought a Gator Armor and Gator Kiowa around the same time. Both are made in China and sell for similar prices, but they couldn't have been more different. The Armor is flimsy and poorly put together, while the Kiowa is one of the nicer Chinese knives I've seen and on par with SOG and Cold Steel folders in the same price range. But if I was a first-time buyer and decided on the Armor, only to discover that the blade wasn't centered and the blade won't lock in place properly, I'd probably never buy another Gerber.

Incidentally, since I mentioned SOG and Cold Steel, you might want to check out the SOG Salute, which I think is one of the best folding knives under $50. Cold Steel makes several nice ones as well, although I think their quality manufacture gets offset by some impractical designs.
I actually have the SOG Seal Pup. It lives in my BOB, but I plan to buy another for outdoor (and not emergency) use. It seems sturdy enough.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 1,935 Times in 801 Posts

Well, the bear gryll fixed blades have had massive handle failures. So Bear grylls made by gerber means RUN AWAY to me. For an outdoors knife, I like the Beckers. The newer BK16 drop point is a great fixed blade. For folders, I prefer Kershaw now and EDC a Bruiser I picked up at WalMart ;>)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,208 Times in 2,409 Posts

If you like the Gerber go with the Big Rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1589.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	72918  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post
If you like the Gerber go with the Big Rock.
This is the one which I 'm using.You know it is China maded ,so I bought it in a very low price in China.The only thing I can say is it worth the price.
But the 440A blade is a bit soft I think,it can't remain sharp for a long time.