How important is "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays" to you? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 16,285 Times in 3,767 Posts
Default How important is "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays" to you?

Advertise Here

I posted a meme I thought was funny. I did it here, no big deal. I did it on another forum, and a damn war broke out.

Yeah, I know... I'm kinda sick of the cat memes too, but it's getting that time of year, and it always bothers me that people don't say "Merry Christmas" any more, so I did this.

To me, the only reason for it in today's society is for the single purpose of NOT saying the word "Christmas". That's wrong.

The main holiday we are celebrating here... the legal federal holiday... is Christmas. It's all about celebrating the birth of baby Jesus, period, end of story.

Nobody goes around during ramadan saying "happy holidays".

It's being used in the guise of inclusiveness, to pander to the few (yet vocal) people who (cry, ****, and moan all the time) are not Christians in this nation. After hundreds of years of tradition of being a Christian people, Americans are leaving their faith in droves. (thanks to the leftist culture, and their control of the media) The moral decay on our society is starting to tear the country apart. Now it's to the point of people doing all they can NOT to upset a small minority of muslims and atheists, (who get angry when you say "Merry Christmas" to them) whereas it's perfectly OK to ignore or outright chastise the vast majority of the population who are Christians for their beliefs, because 9 times out of ten, they are so peace loving, the just roll with the punches.

In the end, the left doesn't want ANY faith at all IMHO. That would give the people something to believe in besides them, and the almighty government.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Merry Christmas Daddy

Personally I say it all the time, they can get offended if they wish but thats their issue. They can reply Happy Kwanza for all I care and that is absolutely acceptable in my book. It is a kind greeting based on my beliefs that intended for merriment.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DEFTanker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,609 Times in 6,974 Posts

Some people are just joy-killers. Ignore them; don't give them the power to even annoy you in the slightest.

As for me, my whole family is Christian. I say "Merry Christmas" every year. All the time. In fact, when someone says "Happy Holidays", I specifically make it a point to say "Merry Christmas", and smile. What are they going to do; bite my head off?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to clocker For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 02:05 PM
Prepared

I say Merry Christmas, and if somebody has a problem with that, it's their problem. I think people worry too much about "offending" people. If they find my happiness and religion offensive, they need to get over themselves.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 02:21 PM

Well, when I'm specifically referring to Christmas I say Merry Christmas. When I'm referring to multiple Holidays I say Happy Holidays because it's the plural as I see it. I also say Happy Hanukkah, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy New Year. It's just so complicated 8-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to georgeg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,990 Times in 2,609 Posts

Givin that the holiday no longer celebrates Christ, but Moloch instead and given that Christ was not born in December; instead the date was adopted from pagan holidays, I really don't care much how they identify it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:21 PM
His Disciple

Thanked 8,846 Times in 3,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
I posted a meme I thought was funny. I did it here, no big deal. I did it on another forum, and a damn war broke out.

Yeah, I know... I'm kinda sick of the cat memes too, but it's getting that time of year, and it always bothers me that people don't say "Merry Christmas" any more, so I did this.

To me, the only reason for it in today's society is for the single purpose of NOT saying the word "Christmas". That's wrong.

The main holiday we are celebrating here... the legal federal holiday... is Christmas. It's all about celebrating the birth of baby Jesus, period, end of story.

It's being used in the guise of inclusiveness, to pander to the few (yet vocal) people who (cry, ****, and moan all the time) are not Christians in this nation. After hundreds of years of tradition of being a Christian people, Americans are leaving their faith in droves. (thanks to the leftist culture, and their control of the media) The moral decay on our society is starting to tear the country apart. Now it's to the point of people doing all they can NOT to upset a small minority of muslims and atheists, (who get angry when you say "Merry Christmas" to them) whereas it's perfectly OK to ignore or outright chastise the vast majority of the population who are Christians for their beliefs, because 9 times out of ten, they are so peace loving, the just roll with the punches.

In the end, the left doesn't want ANY faith at all IMHO. That would give the people something to believe in besides them, and the almighty government.
TO ME/IN MY OPINION....it doesn't bother me what people say, but what they do.

No where in scripture are we to celebrate "His" birthday, although I see nothing wrong with that. However, what I do have a problem with is mixing pagan practices/celebration with God and His Son.

The origins of modern day Christmas come from the feast of saturnalia, where do you think the 12 days of Christmas come from?

As it is celebrated throughout the world...it does not focus on Y'shua (Jesus), it focuses on US. More people go into debt and/or commit suicide during this time of supposed celebration. What would God think of us saying we celebrate His Son's birth with none other than presents to ourselves

God already has a celebration that covers His Sons birthday, it's called Sukkot...it is also a prophetic time for when He returns and celebrates the millennial reign with us.

If you want to know when He was born...you need to go off of Zachariah's priestly duties and when Elizabeth gave birth to John the Baptist.
Read more here: https://christinprophecy.org/article...as-jesus-born/

Bottom-line: if someone wants to celebrate His birth, I'm good with that...but not mixed with paganistic practices, or in conjunction with a commercialized holiday that involves a fat man in a red suit with magical flying reindeer where we go in debt and suffer from depression or commit suicide because of that time of the year. Keep them separate, I do.

I celebrate Christmas, it's about us, family time. His birthday is already covered during Sukkot:

John 1:14, “And the Word became flesh and dwelt (tabernacle) among us, full of grace and truth.”

Sukkot = feast of tabernacles
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,594 Times in 3,237 Posts

I couldn't care less. I call ot what I want and they can call it whatever they want.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,446 Times in 2,585 Posts

I always "thank" people for saying Merry Christmas nowadays, and the funny thing is most are saying it because they mean it, and also because they know it might be looked down at. They are basically saying I will not yield to PC crap. Also, when someone says happy holidays to me I either say "you too" or I say "Merry Christmas to you"...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Target Shooter

It's not important to me. My faith isn't bothered by a stranger's words of kindness about the holidays....of which there are at least 5....Hanakkuh, Kwanza, Winter Solstice, Christmas, and New Yr's, 6 if you include Thanksgiving. Nobody is stomping on my celebration of Christmas by wishing me Happy Holidays.

Eta, I soooo forgot about Festivus. Durn.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 04:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,446 Times in 2,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFred View Post
It's not important to me. My faith isn't bothered by a stranger's words of kindness about the holidays....of which there are at least 5....Hanakkuh, Kwanza, Winter Solstice, Christmas, and New Yr's, 6 if you include Thanksgiving. Nobody is stomping on my celebration of Christmas by wishing me Happy Holidays.
me either at all...they are still being nice/polite/etc...BUT my issue is that people are bowing down to political correctness. Some people might truly believe in saying Happy holidays, but MOST are saying it out of fear for not being PC. That irritates me because we need to all stand up to this bc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 04:04 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,294 Times in 18,790 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post

Before either term was an issue I didn't really care much which term was used. Christ was likely born in late September (after the harvest but before winter set in) so I don't really recognize Christmas as a Christian holiday as much as a Catholic/pagan blend. However, since the leftist lunatics get triggered by "Merry Christmas" ... I say it all the time now. It's my present to myself!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,226 Times in 3,494 Posts

I like Merry Christmas. I'm not at all offended if people use Happy Holidays.

I do not like it when people use Xmas. But I also don't get my britches bunched up because of it.

I remember a few years ago a UK Christian book publisher had a Christmas special going on. They are based in the UK but have book distribution in the US, and around Christmas they have some pretty good deals. I was shocked to see on their website they put Xmas. They quickly changed it. I guess over in the UK it more has the connotations of X (the first letter of Christ in Greek). But people explained to them how over in the US it often has a much more negative connotation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,864 Times in 9,285 Posts

Some people take life and religion way too seriously. It doesn't matter to me.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:20 PM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,278 Times in 9,904 Posts

Both are fine with me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,801 Times in 1,458 Posts

I am fine with whatever people want to use and I accept it in the spirit offered.
However, I don't like it when people try to tell others what they can or cannot say or when people use the generic Happy Holidays only because they are trying to be politically correct.
Me and my family say Merry Christmas.
I refuse to recognize Kwanzaa as a legitimate holiday.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,174 Times in 1,023 Posts

I use Merry Christmas most of the time. But I do do Happy Holidays.

When someone complains I should use 'Happy Holidays' because they don't believe in God then I ask they why they say Happy Holidays -- because Holiday is just 'Holy Day' and by saying Happy Holy Days they are implying they believe in some sort of diety.

Talk about putting peoples britches in a bunch.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Florida Jean For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,274 Times in 2,876 Posts

People can call it whatever they like, myself I say Merry Christmas and that won't change.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 06:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,218 Posts

I for myself say "Crăciun Fericit".
Old 11-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,383 Times in 6,678 Posts

If the weather outside is overcast and drizzle some may love it while others hate it. Either way it's still overcast and drizzle. It just is what it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post: