Freeze Dried Mozzarella - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Freeze Dried Food Company rajwg Food and water 20 11-08-2018 07:12 PM
Four of the Best Freeze Dried Foods AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-26-2018 01:00 PM
Stockpiling Freeze Dried Pouches AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-03-2017 08:00 AM
Deal Alert: Freeze Dried Food On Sale AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-21-2017 10:00 AM
Deal Alert: Save Big On Freeze Dried Food AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-01-2017 04:00 PM

Old 04-10-2019, 03:06 AM

Default Freeze Dried Mozzarella

Advertise Here

Looking for any input from people who have used one or more of the commercial freeze dried mozzarellas.

Is there one you recommend? Any you suggest I stay away from? This is gonna be one of my pricier luxury items for the pantry, and even a small package to test out is moderately expensive, so any info I can get in advance will be greatly appreciated.

This is the last ingredient I need to be sure I have the ability to make pizza from the pantry for at least 2 years. For me and mine, pizza is a great comfort food, so this is a priority.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kayak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 03:51 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 50,319 Times in 17,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak View Post
Looking for any input from people who have used one or more of the commercial freeze dried mozzarellas.

Is there one you recommend? Any you suggest I stay away from? This is gonna be one of my pricier luxury items for the pantry, and even a small package to test out is moderately expensive, so any info I can get in advance will be greatly appreciated.

This is the last ingredient I need to be sure I have the ability to make pizza from the pantry for at least 2 years. For me and mine, pizza is a great comfort food, so this is a priority.
There really is no decent whole cheese that is freeze dried. Real cheese is already a low water content food.

Fat and milk solids make up most of cheese. Freeze driers don't deal with fat, so to make FD cheese it must be made as a low fat cheese like product. Otherwise it would still be rubbery and fatty that will go rancid in a dry bag or can.

There is no magic to be had here. Reconstituted FD cheese is still that high water content FD sort-of cheese. Taking the fat out leaves you with just cheese solids powder that is good for certain dishes but can't be made back into what you think of as nice melty normal cheese.

I can recommend a great line of cheese powders to buy and they will make good cheesy tasting dishes, but you can't get that melty cheese-like texture you want on a pizza. It will be more like skipping the melted cheese on top and adding Parmesan dry like powder. Or you can just settle for the weird watery style cheese of those FD shreds. Your choice.

Real cheese powder source: https://www.firehousepantrystore.com/cheesepowders.html

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 05:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,890 Times in 2,573 Posts

We have a Harvest Right freeze drier and have dried quite a bit of low fat mozarella. We like it for finger food especially for times like when the family gets together for Christmas. We don't powder it, leave it in grated form. Put a bowl of that stuff on the counter even when there is a lot of candy to compete with, and it doesn't last very long. But we do put a lot of it in mylar with O2as also.

We haven't tried to dry non-lowfat, because lowfat is what you get at Sams Club in the big bags. But, we also have dried quite a bit of regular fat cheddar as well. It dries up nicely, but we like the mozarella better for snacking, the cheddar is a little too strong for our taste. We have put up most of the cheddar for LTS. Hadn't thought too much about the fat shortening the storage life, but Zeke is probably right. We keep it in a cellar where the high temp in mid summer hits around 60. Much lower most of the year.

We will probably continue to put up some cheddar, because since we dry our own it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If armageddon comes next week, we will probably have some good cheddar cheese. If it doesn't come till Democrats are in charge again then we may have to throw the old stuff away.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:

Old 04-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 15,091 Times in 4,245 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I am going to disagree a bit with Zeke on this one. Checking the available freeze dried cheeses out there, most of them are in fact real cheese, albeit slightly low(er) fat, which is not a problem. Most cheeses start from skim milk anyway, with the cream pulled for other things. The fat content in most cheeses fall within the limits for safe food storage when dried. This is why EE and other reputable LTS companies state a 20+ year shelf life. It is the milk protein (casein) that is binds together in the process to form the curds that cheese is made from. Whey protein is left behind in the whey. (btw, ricotta cheese can be made from this.) Fat is, for the most part, inconsequential. <13% fat is the general rule for LTS of most products, especially animal. Heck, dehydrated butter with 42% fat, with preservatives, has a ten years shelf life. I do not see cheese as an issue.
Now, I have never used freeze dried cheese so, I can only rely on reviews which are mostly positive. Watching the tutorials on freeze drying cheese, I see it crispy dry with no oily residue. I would not hesitate to try some. If I were you I would look for a small package to try. If it works for you you can make an informed decision. Here is a 4 ounce sample for around 7 bucks... https://nuts.com/snacks/cheese/freez...RoCnSQQAvD_BwE

We just make our own 'fresh' cheeses from preps. Powdered milk makes a fine fresh cheese and like products.... Mozzarella, ricotta, ersatz feta, farmer's cheese, cottage cheese and so much more. It is easy and much cheaper than freeze dried cheese. We can make a couple of pounds of mozzarella in about an hour. So, in about the same time it takes to let a pizza crust rise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 PM
VIP Member

Others have pm'd me they disagree with my post. OK, I'll take that.

The proof will be in the doing. Use FD cheese on a pizza and see if you can live with it.

I didn't like the results. It stayed clumpy and didn't melt the way I like it to.

If it works fine enough for your tastes then it's a non-issue. Maybe I'm too picky or I didn't cook it right. I just did it the way I make homemade pizza with normal cheese at home.

Trust me, I'm not offended if you can make the dish work and I can't.

Cooking with preserved food isn't like cooking with regular fresh food. It doesn't come out the same. Some things that are different I can live with and some things I can't. Personal taste online debates are typically a fools errand. It's worse than trying to get consensus in the family to order only one kind of delivery pizza.

The only sure way this gets resolved to the OP's satisfaction is for him to order FD cheese brands and go make himself a pizza.

If he gets it to work good enough for him then great. If not then maybe consider getting your cheese taste fix in other meals using the powders. My planned cheese fix will be a cheesy rice risotto kind of thing I make with rice, water, powdered milk, oil, and powdered cheese.

Or just make cheese at home like Shawn does. That's fresh cheese. Pizza should be straightforwards from there.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:15 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 15,091 Times in 4,245 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I agree with you Zeke, I could see dried cheese as not playing nice, I was just going by what I researched. Making "fresh" from preps works and much better in most things. For the same reason that storing individual ingredients changes the game.
And from EE, it takes up to 12 hours to properly re-hydrate freeze dried cheese. I can make 10 pounds in a fraction of that time.. mozzarella that is. hahaha. I would like to try some aged and harder cheeses from preps but, I am working on mastering my brewing skills. I love cheese but, I like beer more.

Here is a prepper tip. Like Zeke said, cheese powders are fantastic. You can make a cheddar or any flavored melty fresh cheese by adding it to a fresh made mozzarella. All from preps. For cooking with of course, I would never put such wizardry on a sammich.

Maybe I can talk the Wife into doing a fresh cheese from preps video. It really is easy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 05:08 AM
Survivor

Tell your wife that there is at least one prepper eagerly awaiting to learn what she has to teach.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 05:18 AM
Survivor

Making cheese from powdered milk would be even less expensive than Sam's Club. A bunch of powdered would be a great prep if you didn't have to drink it, and having skills and knowledge is ALWAYS better than a bunch of expensive stuff stashed.

I could see in the after, a neighbor with some milk cows having to throw away the skimmed milk. My wife's folks did that when they were farming. The money was in the cream they sold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 05:35 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
Making cheese from powdered milk would be even less expensive than Sam's Club. A bunch of powdered would be a great prep if you didn't have to drink it, and having skills and knowledge is ALWAYS better than a bunch of expensive stuff stashed.

I could see in the after, a neighbor with some milk cows having to throw away the skimmed milk. My wife's folks did that when they were farming. The money was in the cream they sold.
I was up at a state park in way north Minnesota decades ago when their well pump system broke and the park was full of people.

Even that far north it was still summer and park rangers were worried about heat accidents. They need 3 days to fix it and the park actually found it cheaper to truck in tankers of skim milk rather than water. Seems the farmers were going to dump the tanks anyway and the park just paid the farmers for fuel.

I drank a lot of free milk that week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 06:25 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 31,105 Times in 11,864 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 

I haven’t tried FD mozzarella but I have tried FD sharp cheddar. Not a fan. It tastes like cheddar (because it is cheddar) but it takes forever to rehydrate and doesn’t melt right afterwards. It worked in a pinch for a chicken broccoli casserole we were making but considering the cost and trouble of rehydrating I will be storing powdered cheddar (and other hard cheeses) and making fresh mozzarella.

On a side note, the FD cheddar goes well on a salad without rehydrating. It’s kind of like a thin small cheese crouton.

Still not worth the price though.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post: