Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Australia and New Zealand ANZACS

Advertise Here

Old 12-31-2019, 08:35 AM

Default Worst NSW Bush-fires on Record

Advertise Here

Anybody not directly affected by the bush-fires at the moment revising their Bug-Out strategies?

Where I live we have had some pretty close calls over the last few years, and two weeks ago we had a serious fire three kilometres away and heading for our property at considerable speed, and a last minute wind change was all that saved us.

Mrs and I have always had our BOBs ready to go, but I'm amazed by those that have been through it all before and still aren't prepared!

Can't fix stupid.

Bid
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bidadisndat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 8,486 Times in 2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidadisndat View Post
Anybody not directly affected by the bush-fires at the moment revising their Bug-Out strategies?

Where I live we have had some pretty close calls over the last few years, and two weeks ago we had a serious fire three kilometres away and heading for our property at considerable speed, and a last minute wind change was all that saved us.

Mrs and I have always had our BOBs ready to go, but I'm amazed by those that have been through it all before and still aren't prepared!

Can't fix stupid.

Bid
The reality about bush fire is this:

1) If you live in the bush, then at some point in the future, that bush will burn.
2) Many factors determine the dangers that poses - including the type of bush, the fuel load in that bush, terrain, the gap between that bush and your house and the character of your house. Other factors include what fire fighting actions are taken immediately before, during and immediately after the fire comes through.
3) Many houses built in the bush recently, are inherently not defensible in a fire. In many cases the bush is too close to the houses. In many cases the fuel load in the bush is too high. In many cases the houses are not constructed to resist bushfire. In many cases residents of the houses are not capable or materially equipped to conduct basic fire fighting.
4) Most houses that burn down, do so 30 minutes to an hour after the fire goes through - and only do so because there is no one there to wet the place down and extinguish fires in gardens, gutters and painted surfaces.

In bushfire prone areas, people can choose to just rely upon insurance to pay them out when it is their turn for their house to burn down. But experience tells us that people who lose their homes and possessions, mostly do not recover from that loss and are permanently damaged by that loss.

If people want to live in the bush, then they should be required to:
1) Get a big bull dozer to clear a reasonable buffer zone around their dwelling. This will also require changes in the policies of local government and prioritzation of fire safety above cutesy environmental issues.
2) Build houses that resist the effects of bush fire. Again less cutesy, more practical.
3) Undergo training in fire fighting - have their capability audited by the local bush fire volunteers.
4) Equip their dwelling with grid independent fire fighting water and pumps.
5) Be required to defend their own property instead of expecting the rest of the population to pay them out when their house burns down.

If people are not willing to do the above, then they should pay insurance premiums that genuinely reflect the risks they have brought upon themselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 07:43 AM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,402 Times in 4,122 Posts

I have clients whose homes are so close to the bush you can reach out the window and grab gum leaves. If their area gets a fire they have Buckley’s and none of escaping either because it is a country road that winds up and down along the ridge.

After asking what their fire strategy is, every single one of them replied they didn’t have one, except to leave.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 01:52 PM

I own two retreats, 80km apart in a direct line. One of these fires is so big it threatens both places. Today is D-day, all residents near the coastal retreat have been told to evacuate into the nearest town. I'm 3hrs north, at my primary residence, so safe but watching from afar and hoping my places are okay.

I've done all I can to make both properties safe, but you have to be careful clearing vegetation or council will ruin you financially.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ft Frostbite For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2020, 07:59 PM

I communicate with several from NSW.. they are not in danger.... yet...

They, there forestry people, forestry people here in the Great White North all saying the last 3 years have made the perfect storm of conditions for this.

The 2 summers before this we had forest fires near our area... Again perfect conditions at the time to be the most destructive once started.. Then the flooding, erosion, land slides and all after. The forest condition that makes the worst fire, burns the grasses and grass roots so nothing holds the soil. Be prepared for the after math also..

Some dim wit in town called city hall to DEMAND they do something about the smoke that was bothering them.. Your are right.. You can't fix stupid. Or maybe Darwin is the only one who can do anything about it..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wyobuckaroo48 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 09:11 PM

Apparently quite a few of the fires were deliberately lit.

Does anybody agree that such acts should be considered acts of "Domestic Terrorism" and its perpetrators be treated as terrorists.
Same should also apply to those who place objects on railway lines in attempts to derail trains, or drop rocks from overpasses onto traffic travelling below.
Attempts to poison water supplies and attacks on agriculture by deliberately introducing pests or viruses in an attempt to disrupt either our food supply or our export markets to my mind are also in effect terrorist activities.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bidadisndat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 AM
Trapper

Absolutely not unless the act fits the definition of terrorism... from FEMA "The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) contains a definition of terrorism, which reads: Terrorism is the use of force or violence against persons or property in violation of the criminal laws of the United States for purposes of intimidation, coercion, or ransom." Additionally, The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations defines terrorism as "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives".

You can't just call something terrorism because it is terrible. A crazy fool setting a fire because they are mad or whatever is a criminal act but not necessarily terrorism.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 11:38 AM
This space for rent

Thanked 2,966 Times in 939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
Terrorism is the use of force or violence against persons or property in violation of the criminal laws of the United States for purposes of intimidation, coercion, or ransom".

You can't just call something terrorism because it is terrible. A crazy fool setting a fire because they are mad or whatever is a criminal act but not necessarily terrorism.
You Sure? read that again, Coercion
Terrorism is the use of force , coercion or violence is part of political pressure or intimidation brought to bear on people with opposing political views.
"Coercion definition, the act of coercing; use of force or intimidation to obtain compliance. "

Fire is pretty intimidating and burning peoples property to push a political agenda looks plausible in Occam's razor.

These asshats starting these fires intentionally are pushing the climate change agenda for political reasons
Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 PM

The legal definition of terrorism may differ in Australia, where the fires are actually burning.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:00 PM

It's been reported that wombats have not only been sheltering animals in their burrows but have actually herded some animals into them for protection. The report stated that they have shown more care and compassion than any politician that has visited fire-ravaged communities.

Next elections, I'm voting for a wombat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bidadisndat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft Frostbite View Post
The legal definition of terrorism may differ in Australia, where the fires are actually burning.
True enough... was only looking at it from my American-centric veiwpoint.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:16 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy1966 View Post
You Sure? read that again, Coercion
Terrorism is the use of force , coercion or violence is part of political pressure or intimidation brought to bear on people with opposing political views.
"Coercion definition, the act of coercing; use of force or intimidation to obtain compliance. "

Fire is pretty intimidating and burning peoples property to push a political agenda looks plausible in Occam's razor.

These asshats starting these fires intentionally are pushing the climate change agenda for political reasons

Yeah... I'm sure. Deliberately setting a fire is not terrorism (at least in America) with out defined reason purposes of intimidation, coercion, or ransom.

Setting a fire just to watch it burn is not terrorism. Setting a fire that gets out of control is not terrorism... a crime in many areas, yes, but not terrorism.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:25 AM

The fire threat isn't over. Fire continues to threaten my mountain retreat, slowly approaching from the north. The same fire is also now within 2km of my coastal retreat, 80km away. Another large fire started by the light on military helicopter now threatening home on Canberra's southern suburbs.