Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show your survival bow! Toxoph Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 40 02-25-2019 09:39 PM
Anyone here have an airbow? SG1 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 17 01-09-2018 10:49 PM
Watch: How to Silence a Recurve Bow AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-09-2017 02:00 PM
New post SHTF weapon? Airbow. irishmike357 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 61 03-05-2017 01:24 AM

Old 05-28-2019, 12:53 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,016 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I know. What's your point?

My neighbors think the shoot more than me because most of my shooting is suppressed. (I need to shoot more)

They aren't Hollywood quiet, but you can get very acceptable noise reduction with rounds that will kill large animals at humane distances
My point is most people don't know "suppressors aren't silent". My comment wasn't meant for you but people who are not firearm educated. So don't take it personal.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,822 Times in 19,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASS View Post
My point is most people don't know "suppressors aren't silent". My comment wasn't meant for you but people who are not firearm educated. So don't take it personal.
Ok, but in all fairness you quoted me and then made a comment that is in no way related to what you were quoting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
a headshot with a 22 would drop most game if you were close enough to ensure proper placement
There's a lot of shots i'd try on an enemy I wouldn't take on an innocent animal. I'm no bunny hugger, but they deserve a clean death.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 03:18 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,477 Times in 3,307 Posts

Quote:
Many of those people are libtards though, do we really want to educate them?

Not I, said the cat.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 04:13 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,642 Times in 19,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
OThere's a lot of shots i'd try on an enemy I wouldn't take on an innocent animal. I'm no bunny hugger, but they deserve a clean death.
There are select people who can hunt deer with a 22. I've seen documentaries of them.

But let's be clear, they are specialized pros who work for state game commissions who are tasked with culling excess deer when it is realized the season's licensed hunt didn't reduce numbers properly. These guys do it for a living for years on end. Their gear and ammo is top notch and specialized. They aren't hunting strong healthy deer in the Fall either. They go out in the Spring where they can find the sick and lame after winter has worn them down. Plus they hunt fawns as well. The strong healthy deer are left alone for next season's hunt. Plus the deer are less skittish in the Spring. Adult deer seem to know when hunting season risk is high.

So when I see talk about hunting deer with a 22, I chuckle a bit. The people who can actually be effective and reliable at it have literally thousands of kills to their name. The animals they hunt aren't really worth the meat effort either. I'm sure every one of them would advise the rest of us to favor something in the 30 caliber range. Something that generates a proper wound channel.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,668 Times in 2,008 Posts

WOW, did this thread get sidetracked? I picked a 35# compound bow this winter to complement the two 60# compounds in the garage. Also picked up 3 dozen arrows for each, both carbon and fiberglass. I practice with the glass and use them on rodents. the 35# is the most pleasant to shoot. I also picked up a PCP pellet rifle. In a time of chaos, I don't want people knowing who is at the end of the road and that they are harvesting game. I keep a few bolt action rifles just in case I am forced to do social work. I also hunt with those rifles during season. The bow is a great weapon, but history shows us that guns are a better weapon. I suggest the you learn to use both and use each one appropriately. Oh, the PCP pellet gun will really give a bad guy a belly ache at 50 yards
Old 05-30-2019, 09:13 AM

https://youtu.be/rUB35O5xhqw
Old 05-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,580 Times in 3,734 Posts

Quote:
bows do spook animals
I've heard it referred to as jumping the string. Mostly to do with deer...apparently they hear the bowstring (twang?) as it launches an arrow and flinch, duck, jump, move etc. at the sound thus spoiling an otherwise good shot.

They make string silencers for this very reason. Often called cat whiskers they muffle the sound a bowstring makes when it launches an arrow. They are not that expensive to buy and are easy to make from a bit of yarn and string.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:51 AM
BASS

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
There are select people who can hunt deer with a 22. I've seen documentaries of them.

But let's be clear, they are specialized pros who work for state game commissions who are tasked with culling excess deer when it is realized the season's licensed hunt didn't reduce numbers properly. These guys do it for a living for years on end. Their gear and ammo is top notch and specialized. They aren't hunting strong healthy deer in the Fall either. They go out in the Spring where they can find the sick and lame after winter has worn them down. Plus they hunt fawns as well. The strong healthy deer are left alone for next season's hunt. Plus the deer are less skittish in the Spring. Adult deer seem to know when hunting season risk is high.

So when I see talk about hunting deer with a 22, I chuckle a bit. The people who can actually be effective and reliable at it have literally thousands of kills to their name. The animals they hunt aren't really worth the meat effort either. I'm sure every one of them would advise the rest of us to favor something in the 30 caliber range. Something that generates a proper wound channel.
I knew two men who feed their families by hunting deer almost year round. Many times they used .22 rifles. They used lights and .22 shorts. They dropped deer where they stood most of the time.

One has passed a long time ago. One still lives with in blocks of where he grew up. He doesn't hunt illegally anymore.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Quote:
I knew two men who feed their families by hunting deer almost year round. Many times they used .22 rifles. They used lights and .22 shorts. They dropped deer where they stood most of the time.

One has passed a long time ago. One still lives with in blocks of where he grew up. He doesn't hunt illegally anymore.
Why use such a small caliber for game that size?

Old 05-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,642 Times in 19,336 Posts

Quote:

But for those who don't poach you can't get the kind of practice you need.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:30 PM

First you need to know how to use them. Just like a firearm, Practice makes perfect. I have re-curve bows, longbows, compound and Crossbows. If you live in the City and have a wall around your backyard you can practice using them. Can't or shouldn't do that with a firearm. I have about 200 arrows, and everything you might need to repair them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdillon698 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
bows do spook animals
Yes they do. I was to the side of my bud when he shot an arrow at a deer. That arrow was load as hell. Far more than I would have ever thought. And it wasn't string noise either. I guess it was the fletching on the arrow going through the air.

I just a new string for my old Pearson 45# recurve and a really nice quiver. I have killed one deer with a bow. The deer didn't go 40 yards before it was dead. So yes, they work.

But now is the time to start buying a bow and lots of arrows. Losing arrows happens all the time. Think you're going to make arrows? Start making them now. Its not as easy as you think. I have killed more game (small) with my 20-22 caliber pump air rifles than all my other guns put together. I am a big fan of air rifles. Buy a couple and at least 5,000 pellets. I could survive better with an air rifle and not make any noise to give myself away.

And get a good slingshot and learn how to use it. I have killed squirrels, birds, cats and one possum with a slingshot and 54 caliber lead balls. And the practice with a slingshot will transfer to shooting a recurve bow.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 PM

I've been into archery for over 40 years. The bow has its place in your survival plans.

Knowing how to make one is good. Finding them now cheap at garage sales and flea markets is better. I probably have 20 different bows and a ton of arrows stored around the house now. And that's not including the ones I've given away to nephews, nieces, kids and grandkids so far.
I've picked up completely set-up cam compound bows at garage sales for $10. Not current current archery tech, but damn good enough. People buy the stuff, then lose interest, and sell it cheap... garage sales are your friend.

I've also picked up a bunch of live and leg traps at garage sales... again cheap. I have a lot of rabbit around the property, so the live traps will go toward catching some of them to raise if need be.
A word about rabbit, humans cannot survive on rabbit meat alone. Rabbit doesn't contain some necessary minerals and such that humans need, so you can actually starve to death on just rabbit even with a full belly. Plan on augmenting this supply.

On the bow string noise topic, on a recurve bow make sure your brace height is set correctly. This will cut down on some of the string noise naturally, as most bows need to be "tuned" in some fashion. Then you can add the string silencers to further cut it down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 01:11 AM

Recurve bows are fine, especially the takedown variety. I would get one with at least a 40# draw weight so you can get a larger than rabbit meal if necessary. I have a military marpat pack with 6,000ci capacity and I have 2 rain toppers with Molle conectors (they are detachable and convert 1. into fanny pack for stream runs for water or fish, and 2. for first aid).

I'm settling on a combo pack rod (spin/fly), an Okuma 10 spinning reel with 4lb test and extra 1000 yd spool for refills, a Cabela's disc drag 5/6 wt fly reel, #6 wff line, some Bass poppers for fly rig, and inline spins for spinning rig. I intend to eat whatever I catch, but mainly the spin rig will be for (some of the) smaller fish to use for bait which I will put on 5/0 hooks attached to limbs, hoping to catch larger fish.
I have an older Hoyt/Easton "old style cam" with no drop off compound which attaches to my back pack via Molle strips and it does not interfear with trecking thru the woods as it is secured below the top line of the pack as are my rod/reel/ lure and arrow tubes. I have 24 - 2 piece unfletched home made arrow shafts (that I made from a top mfg of graphite arrow shafts) and a dozon extras of the same that are pre fletched with my own home made duct tape fletchings (these work very well and are very handy when you have no glue in the field and need to refletch. I also have 2 bow fishing arrows, and my biscuits switch out for either regular hunting or bow fishing arrows. I can give assembly instructions to anyone interested in making duct tape fletchings.....
So, I plan on having a single .22lr short bbl, and 250 rounds of ammo, but will depend on my small animal bow hunting, and bow fishing. Also will rely heavily on my 40+ yrs outdoorsman, fly, spinning, limb line fishing, and wire snare skills much more than the artilary, because SILENCE IS GOLDEN. Stealth is extremely important. Oh yes, also extremely important are a water bladder and a couple Sawyer water purification filters, preferably the 1mil gallon capacity in case one prematurely gets plugged up from forgetting to backflush it .....among many other items I can't get into right here and now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bassinman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 07:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,333 Times in 2,737 Posts

I LOOSE arrows or they break. Say I am really careful and only loose or break one every 20 shots. So you think you are well prepared because you have 100 arrows. That would give you 2000 shots before you are out of ammo. If you are feeding yourself that isn't very much. Most gun toters have WAY more rounds than that stashed.

You CAN GET silenced guns. Air guns make little more noise than a bow. A silenced 44 mag will kill things yet be very quiet.

Even a single shot gun is faster to shoot than a bow, especially for the first shot.

A bow is a clunk to move through cover, a gun is a lot easier to carry.

Some folks watch too much Rambo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 08:46 AM

Well I know how to use both guns and bows atlatl bolas ax knife blow gun slingshot panas spear make traps the whole Rambo thing I would more call it Yama

Fact of the matter is that they all run out of ammo but Ammo for a bow is a lot easier to make
The Following User Says Thank You to Bishopj For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 AM

https://youtu.be/SkeRPlnXwSE
Old 05-31-2019, 12:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,580 Times in 3,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chant99 View Post
I've been into archery for over 40 years. The bow has its place in your survival plans.

Knowing how to make one is good. Finding them now cheap at garage sales and flea markets is better. I probably have 20 different bows and a ton of arrows stored around the house now. And that's not including the ones I've given away to nephews, nieces, kids and grandkids so far.
I've picked up completely set-up cam compound bows at garage sales for $10. Not current current archery tech, but damn good enough. People buy the stuff, then lose interest, and sell it cheap... garage sales are your friend.

I've also picked up a bunch of live and leg traps at garage sales... again cheap. I have a lot of rabbit around the property, so the live traps will go toward catching some of them to raise if need be.
A word about rabbit, humans cannot survive on rabbit meat alone. Rabbit doesn't contain some necessary minerals and such that humans need, so you can actually starve to death on just rabbit even with a full belly. Plan on augmenting this supply.

On the bow string noise topic, on a recurve bow make sure your brace height is set correctly. This will cut down on some of the string noise naturally, as most bows need to be "tuned" in some fashion. Then you can add the string silencers to further cut it down.
A Flemish string is easier to tune with than a continuous loop. A Flemish string can wind both ways while a continuous loop can only be tightened. The first thing I do with a new bow is ditch the continuous loop and make myself a Flemish string from Dacron B-50.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:07 AM

My recurve is an essential part of my preps. Primarily for it's stealth capabilities. Second, to save on ammo. But...regardless of what you may have in your arsenal, practice DOES make perfect. Pre-SHTF is the best time to practice, post-SHTF has a VERY short learning curve. I DO NOT waste my time with cross-bows. It's easy to build a recurve, or even a straight-stick bow. You can do so with just a few simple tools. These are easy to find, and cheap to purchase on ebay.

I don't use compound bows either, both compounds and crossbows require *parts.* Having a machine shop handy helps, too. A stick bow can be made with a good pocket knife.

Last edited by cloudryder; 06-01-2019 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: rewrite
Old 06-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopj View Post
Well I know how to use both guns and bows atlatl bolas ax knife blow gun slingshot panas spear make traps the whole Rambo thing I would more call it Yama

Fact of the matter is that they all run out of ammo but Ammo for a bow is a lot easier to make
Seems like you've covered all the bases.