Survivalist Forum banner

TDawg75-old, fat and not going down without a fight!

71K views 490 replies 40 participants last post by  jojo64155 
#1 ·
Hellur errybody! Semi-quick history. I am 38. I decided 7 months ago that I needed to try and improve my health so that I could, at least, live long enough to see all of my children graduate high school. I weighed 390lbs. (still do, but read on to see that I have made considerable progress). I didn't have any health problems other than asthma, which I have had since I was a child. But, let's face it, it was only a matter of time, right?

I need a real, tangible goal to aspire to. Losing weight isn't, for me, a goal that keeps my motivation very high. I needed a goal that was easy to see, and easy to judge progress against. I chose to try my hand at competing in powerlifting. There are some state records in the Masters1, SHW division (age 40-44, over275lbs) that I think I have a realistic chance at breaking. For now, those are my goals. I will eventually switch over to a weight loss goal once I have a decent strength base.

I do conditioning work to aid me in recovery between lifting sessions and, more importantly, between lifts on meet day. But I am not trying to use it to lose weight currently. I have been training since May 13th of this year. All of my attempts at strength training in the past have been futile. Completely futile. For some reason, this time I have made very good progress. in 7 months I have been able to reach a 330 bench press, 425 squat and a 405 deadlift. I know my deadlift sucks bad, but I have only been training it for a little over a month now. (yes, I was a wus, lol) My long term goals that I set were the weights required to break the records I am trying to eventually break. They are a 350lb bench press, a 550lb squat, and a 650lb deadlift. I thought it would take me 5-7 years to reach these goals, but it looks like I may reach then much sooner than that. If that happens, I will just have to set new goals. A problem I wouldn't mind having.

My first meet is in Denver, NC in March of 2014. I am competing in the USAPL, which is a strictly drug tested federation. I prefer it that way. Everybody is on a level playing field. I compete in the raw division as well. That means no additional lifting gear may be used. No wraps, lifting suits, etc. Just your lifting attire (a singlet and a t-shirt) and a lifting belt if you choose to wear one. I currently do not wear a lifting belt, but I will be getting one in January. My goal at my meet in March, since it is my first meet, will be to hit a 3 lift total of 1200lbs. I feel this will be a respectable performance for an old guy with less than a year of lifting under his belt. I hope that my lifting log may help to motivate other old, fat fellas who may be on the fence about hitting the gym. I really thought that, at 38, I was way too old to make any kind of meaningful progress. I have proven myself wrong so far.

I keep a training log on another, fitness related site. I am going to do my best to update this one with the same frequency as my other one. (that is, if anyone is actually interested) I work out 4 times a week and am currently doing a 15 week powerlifting peaking routine in preparation for my meet in March. This routine involves much less volume than I normally do and, as such, is rapidly increasing my strength. (something that still puzzles me).

My diet consists of 5000-6000 calories a day (a lot of boneless pork chops, protein shakes, suddenly salad and one homemade meal prepared by the wife). I have been eating that way for the past 7 months. I have not gained any weight and have actually lost 5lbs. (again, puzzling).

Tomorrow starts week three of my meet prep and I will begin posting my daily workouts then. I will not be posting my daily eating as it is nearly identical every day with the only change being the bbq I choose to dip my porkchops in that day. The weekends are kind of a free-for-all where I eat pretty much what I want (within reason and still aiming for my carb/protein goals).

So, this is my journey. Let's do this.

See less See more
#2 ·
I dunno man 350 bench press is kinda weak for a guy over pounds.....did I read that right?

I weigh 190 and can flat press 275 3 times and I'm in my 40's. I don't consider that exceptional and certainly wouldn't break any records even in my gym for my age much less my state. I squat 325 for reps but I don't do any deadlifts.......

If you want to get fit loose the fat.....slim down and quit making that heart work so hard.

Glad to see your interested in your health,that's a great start.

#3 ·
Wow. Ego much? How long have you been lifting? I have only been lifting for 7 (SEVEN) months. That is a great achievement for ANY weight class in that amount of time. I am sorry that you are offended by the fact that I am not concerned with being skinny right now. That is your goal, not mine. I appreciate any constructive criticism, I really do, but insulting someone is not constructive at all. 275 on bench press and 325 on squat are both warmups for me, but I do not feel the need to try and throw your weakness up in your face. I wish you good luck on making progress in whatever your goals are.

You should check your state records for ACTUAL drug-free lifts at ACTUAL drug tested meets. All federations and testing criteria are not the same.

As far as slimming down, you could probably take off a couple of pounds by losing that ego. Again, good luck with whatever your goals are. Maybe you should post some videos of some of your great strength feats as motivation, sir. Yes, I have all of my lifts on video. I have to record them in order to keep a check on my form. A meet lift is far from your "gym lift".

Thanks for the input. BTW, where's your outstanding lifting log at?

#79 ·
Kinda late to chime in on this one. While I don't agree with his less than supportive approach, he is right about the weight. You don't want to have a heart attack in the middle of lifting. All the extra weight you're carrying is hard enough on your joints. Now you're tossing several hundred more pounds on top of it.
My knees are **** from lifting in high school. I thought it was cool to toss just under 800lbs. on the sled and do reps. I would never recommend power lifting to anyone.

What you're doing is certainly better than nothing.

Can I ask why losing weight isn't motivating?

#14 ·
Hey Tdawg, I'll give you props. Man Ive always been a tall thin guy, my problem was i could never gain weight. Like you, just recently I decided I wanted to live a healthier life. I quit smoking, cut back on drinking, and Im on a walking schedule (all I can do until I heal from surgery) Everyone has to start somewhere, and don't let people get you down, or **** on your parade. Keep it up and keep me posted, I would like to know your progress. Take care

#25 ·
Yeah I understand but he says one thing and is doing another then gets mad when he gets called out. Your not being healthy weighing that much, eating like he posted and powerlifting......and claim you want to live to see your kids graduate. He is stressing his heart and to be honest if he is telling the truth what he is doing is dangerous.

No kidding no joking and certainly not trolling or trying to down a guy.

I'm not going to post anymore on this thread because it's obvious my posting on this thread isn't being understood. And truthfully I don't believe much of what the original poster is presenting in the 1st post. It doesn't make sense.

Later guys

#27 ·
I have previously been using a modified 5x5 routine and had a lot of success with it. Since I have my first meet coming up I have switched to a powerlifting-specific peaking routine. Here is a link to it for anyone who may be interested- http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15673&highlight=week+powerlifting+peaking

12/17/13- day 1 of week 3 on JByrd's 15 week peaking routine-Bench day

Bench press- I'm going to have to make some minor changes to this day. This plan has worked well so far for my squat and dl, but my bench press seems to have stalled or even decreased a little.

Bench press:

Warmups
bar x 20
135 x 8
185 x 5
225 x 3
250 x 2
275 x 5

Work sets
295 x 3
305 x 2
315 x 1

Pause bench (2 sec):
225 x 8, 8, 8

Incline bench press:
185 x 8
205 x 8
225 x 8

Downed a protein shake and did 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Cardio blows, lol.

#28 ·
First off TDawg75 I commend you for wanting to get healthy! It's what I'm working towards too. Second Operator6 you being a **** isn't helping anyone. You are supposed to lift people up not drag them down with your miserable self. You see when people drag others down it's a reflection of their own poor morals and self esteem.

Now to what I was going to originally post, have you tried swimming? It's so easy on the joints and I'm losing weight just swimming along. I love it!

#30 ·
Tdawg im gonna be real with ya, so don't get all upset. But what operator was trying to say is that for your weight, you should be lifting more if your gonna compete in powerlifting. In powerlifting it goes by bodyweight to pounds lifted ratio. Your lacking in that, which is understandable because you have only been training for 7 months. Granted in 7 months your doing pretty well, but eventually you will plateau and be stuck for a while. The fastest gains in strength and size are always in the first year.

With that said, let me give you my history, in 2009 I got off active duty at the age of 25, 6 years served 8 years working out. I weighed 217 pounds, (i am 5'11) I was running 3 miles in 20 minutes, 34in waist, 48in chest, 17.5 arms. I was benchpressing 405x1, squatting 550x1, deadlifting 575x1, shoulder pressing 275 and I could complete 24 widegrip pullups.

2013 4 years later, i went into the reserves, used my gi bill got a degree. Got married and we had 2 kids. I am now 29yrs old and 195 lbs, running 3 miles in 18 minutes, benching 355x1, squatting 450x1 and deadlifting 500x1, pullups improved to 26 complete.

You stated that you were 390lbs and, a 330 bench press, 425 squat and a 405 deadlift.
Read more at http://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...unity-Bulletin-2013-12-17#DMm6zbm1lWdybJEL.99

For your weight to how much you lift, to be a competitive powerlifter you really need to train more before you try to break any records. Your post made no sense, it was more of a post for you to brag. If your worried about your health and seeing your kids grow then you really need to cut down the calories and consider some changes in your routine. You can still lift for strength, but you really need to cut down your weight. Dont keep your size hoping itll help you lift alot, cut down, keep up the strength.

PM me if you would like some good advice on workouts etc.

Don't ask me to prove anything with videos BTW, no one records themselves while lifting, take it as you will, there are stronger people out there then you. I can seriously help you however, if you want.

#32 ·
Hey Tdawg, I have a degree in exercise science and you're the perfect canidate for a heart attack. You're working out while over weight which is stressing the hell out of your heart. Not having high blood pressure or diabetes is genetically related.

You're weight is going to harm you. You're working very hard at straight weight training and you're not losing weight. 5 lbs over 7 months is a slight change in body composition, not weight loss. 5000-6000 cals of intake a day is really hard on you heart and digestive system. You're relatively young and that is the only thing keeping you going. Being as heavy as you are is also stressing your joints. One injury to one of your joints is going to put you down for 6 months, as least, and your recovery will be very slow because of your weight.

Seriously, you need to cut those cals down to 2000 per day and get going on the cardio. You need to lose weight, at least 150 lbs.

Just because you feel fine now does not mean you will continue too. You think you're beating the odds, you're not. At all. You're on the path of failure, all the research indicates what you're doing it bad.

I'm not bashing your efforts, good for you for trying but you need to modify your diet, you need to lose the excess weight and you have to do way more cardio.

I'm saying this to help you. :)

#34 ·
Ricekilla is a Vietnam vet...he has earned the right to post whatever he wants about whatever he wants whenever he wants wherever he wants.

Great job to all on "doing" instead of "wanting" to do. I am still in the "wanting" to do category...time is absolutely NOT on my side right now.

To all, a great great add in to anyone working out, power lifting, etc is to swim many laps at your local pool...just simple ole freestyle. It will really help your cardio, improve your strength, work muscles you didn't know you had, improve your flexibility, and improve joints, etc. It is absolutely the best way to get in shape and be a jumping point for all other physical endeavors.

#35 ·
Kinda sad that people are making new accounts only to bash the OP.

TDawg - this honestly isn't the forum for you. You need to go visit the Bodybuilding forums, if you haven't already. They have an EXCELLENT section on natural building, with REAL ATHLETES and PROFESSIONAL coaches.

DO NOT take any advice from these "operators" and "professionals" here!

#40 ·
O/P -- Genetics has a lot to do with how you will look and feel ( IMHHO ) --- everybody in my family are fat pigs -- as soon as I slowed down -- I put on 30 lbs. -- now I’m happy to run / shuffle a few miles a week -- just keep at it -- and take pic’s of your self -- post them monthly ---/showthread.php?p=6151433#I9Wz589ZH8kVAQEj.99
As awkward as it sounds, I actually agree with this. Any workout journal should include pictures and measurements.

The person that you see in the mirror is NOT an accurate representation of what you actually look like. Trust me! I thought I looked "okay" until I got my driver's license renewed. I didn't recognize the face in the picture!!!

#42 ·
This is my first chance to post any response in a while. I will try to clarify a few things that I have already mentioned, but a couple of folks seem to have either overlooked or didn't comprehend it when they read it. I was originally going to just abandon this log. I will see how it goes for now.

For the poster who recommended I visit a fitness site, I have a long running log on a very good site. They are supportive, helpful, and very knowledgeable with several world-class lifters in the mix. We even have one guy who got an invitation to compete at the Arnold coming up. (with a 3 lift total of nearly 2400 lbs, he very much deserves it). I started this log because there aren't many here. I hoped to maybe encourage someone in my position to get up and give it a try. Although, considering SOME of the responses I got, I have no idea why there isn't an endless number of logs on here. (SARCASM!)

Just because I have only been at this for 7 months does not mean that I am completely ignorant. I have actually been corresponding with the meet director for my state division of the USAPL, so I have some guidance. Yes, for my weight, I am not strong at all. The fact still remains that every lifter on the interwebz claims to bench press 300lbs. Very, VERY few actually do. The small amount of strength that I have built in just 7 months, while not much compared to my bodyweight, is still an achievement to be proud of. I don't boast about it, but I am proud of it.

Now, for the one who said that I was nowhere near being able to even think about any records, pay close attention here. Find YOUR state's official USAPL website and search the records, then you will have a better idea of what they look like in a true, drug free, year-round randomly drug tested federation. In my state, the records I hope to compete for are, again-in the M1 (age 40-44) SHW (over275lbs) class these records are: Squat-534, Bench press-336, and Deadlift-606. I still have a year and a half before I am eligible to compete for these records. I chose these records because they allow me some time to build up my strength (as long as 8 years from the time I started training). Until then I am competing in the open division where I will NOT BE COMPETITIVE FOR NOW. My day will come, but it will take time. Powerlifting isn't about besting the other guys on the platform that day. It is about besting the man you were the last time YOU were on that platform.

For the poster who tried to explain to me how the pounds vs weight works in powerlifting, google the Wilks Formula. There are weight classes, but you are given a score determined by using the Wilks Formula. That is how the placing order is determined. I do not know the bodyweight of the person who set the records, but I will have to beat his Wilks score, not necessarily his lifts.

For the guys saying "nobody records themselves lifting". You are very wrong. Bodybuilders don't have a need to because not squatting to depth, improper form on the bench press and deadlift, etc will not cause them to be disqualified. For a powrlifter, IT WILL. The "Gym Brahs" don't need to because they aren't competing in ANYTHING and just need to keep their ego inflated, proper form or not. I lift alone. Very rarely is there anyone in my gym when I lift. (before someone goes there, I use the power rack in substitute for a spotter on heavy days). Even when there are other people there, none of them are powerlifters. This makes for a need for me to record videos in order for experienced lifters to critique my form. It makes no sense to do these videos with light weight because form usually doesn't break down until you start approaching your strength limits. So, I have many videos of me lifting for these reasons. I challenged thr trollerator to put up videos because (see my comment about how everyone on the internet is Hulk Hogan) it is a way to call out the BS'ers and I just happen to have my form vids when one quips back "You can't, why should I" or something similar.

For the folks that are terrified about my weight, I will clarify once again. I never said I didn't want to lose weight. I said I wasn't trying to lose weight RIGHT NOW. I know that I HAVE to lose weight. In order for me to stay motivated, I have to do this in a certain order. Just losing weight, being skinny, etc doesn't motivate me. I do not have self esteem problems that compel me to try and look good in others' eyes. I need a tangible goal first. Something that will motivate ME. Later, when I have had my chance at my current goals, I will switch to a SLOW weight loss goal. I will probably try this after my meet in March just to see how it goes. I can lose 100lbs and still compete in the division I am currently in. If my strength drops rapidly when I start cutting my calories, then it will just have to wait a little while longer.

I understand that most of the posters in this thread are honestly concerned about my weight and its effects on my long-term health. I do appreciate that and am always open to constructive criticism. There were a couple of trolls that posted and got me into their realm, I will not allow that to happen again. I have my own goals and my own plan to get there.

Anyone interested in a good training resource, check out http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php

Even you trolls are welcome to come over and learn a little something. But be advised, they have a large ban-hammer. It falls swiftly and mightily when you come in there spewing your hate and trollery. AND, I have a log over there- same username and everything.

Now, I must get ready for work. (and I missed today's workout. It will take me three days to catch back up, but a day off is nice). Y'all have a great Christmas and New Year's.

#43 ·
Have had a very hectic work schedule this month and, especially, this week. I am several days behind on my workouts this week. Had planned to combine a couple of them today, but still ran out of time today. Got in my deadlifts anyway.

Deadlifts:Added more reps to my warmups than I normally do in to try and smooth up my form a little. Practice makes perfect, right?
Warmups
bar x 20- performed as stiff legged dl to loosen up a little
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3

Work sets
350 x 3
375 x 2
405 x 1-Hitched a little on this one. Would not have counted at a meet, but I got upright and locked out.

BB Shrugs:
135 x 15
185 x 15
225 x 15
275 x 15
315 x 8, 8, 8

Ran out of time there. Tomorrow will be squats. Oh joy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.