Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-15-2019, 04:52 AM
Hiker

Default 4x4 Isuzu flatbed?

Advertise Here

Maybe this is a whimsical thought. I am looking at webpages to decide which vehicle I will buy next summer - must be a utility type vehicle - pickup, 1 ton van, etc. I came across a article describing how to convert an Isuzu flatbed truck (some can have a bed as long as 20', which was what attracted me to the article). I need to be moving a lot of stuff around in the next few years and a 4x4 vehicle like that would mean that I can live with a rougher road on my property. It is also the perfect size to ultimately build a tiny house on. Used, with 200K miles on them can be had for $7K. The kit and labor are about $8K.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 06:43 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,464 Times in 562 Posts

They can be pretty nice utility vehicles. I wish I had one with a rollback bed on it. That being said I don't think I would tie it up by building a 'small' house on the bed. My personal BOVs are a ton Ford flatbed 4x4, a Jeep and a number of trailers.

Edit: Most of my preps are geared to surviving 'in place'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 07:54 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,888 Times in 9,063 Posts

I would put rams on the little house so you can unload it easily and use the truck for other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 10:34 AM

There are lots of good options, the pickup campers are really nice and removable. A good foundation for starters anyway.

the only thing I really wanted to add here is stay away from the izuzu, maybe a mechanical diesel wouldn't be so bad, but I bought a 2003 a year ago for my daughter as a winter vehicle and we are on the second engine. There are a couple of factory design flaws and parts are getting harder to find.
it has been one of my first ventures into the foreign markets and I must say I am really disappointed, even being an isuzu product it is mostly Honda.
getting into forums and looking for help, there isn't much. of course you have your die hard believers but mostly you find people that just give up and can't help.

In the case where you need repairs find something common, Ford, Chevy. Where as these vehicles are all over the place, parts are cheap and knowledge about them is readily available.
Even if you had 10 spare isuzus laying around for parts, when you are in the middle of nowhere it is far more likely to come across a ford or chevy to rob parts off of than another isuzu.

the bigger isuzu trucks are no different than their light duty stuff. At least right now they are not common enough.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:11 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,758 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
the only thing I really wanted to add here is stay away from the izuzu,
I bought my first Isuzu...pick up 4x4...in 1981(carburetor).....traded it in on a 1988(fuel injected) Isuzu Pu 4x4....and drove that one for 23 years...daily....WITHOUT .. major breakdowns....only replaced consumables....tires/brakes/batteries/fluids/…..NEVER had ANY problems/repairs to fuel injection...or clutch...or drive train...did replace a fuel pump at 120,000 miles....and a water pump at 125,000....the most dependable vehicle I ever owned.....was looking worn and tired after a life without a garage....and sold it to a passerby who wanted a beater 4x4 for a hunting truck....which is still running today....on his ranch.....
The Following User Says Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 05:46 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,092 Times in 2,227 Posts

Could you post a link to the 4x4 conversion site
Those cab-overs are long-lasting
And easy to maintain
Thank you
Old 11-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,058 Posts

As long as you keep up with maintenance, the isuzu diesels seem to go a long ways. The commercial trucks seem to be a lot better than the standard cars and trucks. A tow company I used to work for had 10 isuzu flatbed rollbacks. The newest one had 250,000 miles on it, the rest were well over 400,000 miles and still running strong. The one thing that I would be real picky about is the length of the wheelbase. The 4x4 maneuvers about the same as a f450, but start adding length to the wheel base and its gonna be like turning around an aircraft carrier on a football field.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,545 Times in 589 Posts

And I have yet to find any used 4x4 flatbeds for under 20k. Is ther a specific site that deals with these specific trucks. Not looking to buy, just peaked my interest.
Edit: I dont see any 4x4 for that matter. I assumed you were looking for that with bad roads.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:59 PM

The mitsubishi fuso has a factory 4x4 variant, which might be worth looking into instead of a conversion. Personally I'm a little iffy about owning a 4x4 converted vehicle after my experence with a 4x4 econoline, i'd rather have a factory job.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Hiker

http://www.peremaimi.com/eng/item/isnpr.html
4x4 conversion site.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:37 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
And I have yet to find any used 4x4 flatbeds for under 20k. Is ther a specific site that deals with these specific trucks. Not looking to buy, just peaked my interest.
Edit: I dont see any 4x4 for that matter. I assumed you were looking for that with bad roads.
I have not seen ANY cabover flatbeds in 4x4. Yes, am looking for transportation for bad roads, no 4 wheeling. So many of the bo lands I have been looking at describe themselves as great for 8 month living, meaning that they get snowed in or mudded in during the rainy season. It doesn't do much good to have an ideal peace of land with shelter and opsec in place but you can't get to it 4 months of the year. I also like the cabovers because the total wheel base is slightly shorter.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Hiker

I have considered an m35 or the 939 - 6x6 - but the Isuzu's get better mileage and can maintain highway speeds of 65mph or more, for the times when I will using the rig to haul stuff...and the Isuzu doesn't scream "prepper" ...seems the Isuzu and Mitsubishi 4x4's are a little hard to find. Maybe changing a gear in the m939's transfer case would get the higher top speed and better mpg?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:58 AM
Target Shooter

I had a short wheel bace 4x4 cabover it had a Mason dump bed 10 í we had a full size western plow on it and a salter on the back.
It was a great truck but to light duty for my needs GVWR was 14000 lbs
It did get 18 mg but it was slooooooooow with the 4 cylinder
The Following User Says Thank You to wellbuilt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,130 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I have not seen ANY cabover flatbeds in 4x4. Yes, am looking for transportation for bad roads, no 4 wheeling. So many of the bo lands I have been looking at describe themselves as great for 8 month living, meaning that they get snowed in or mudded in during the rainy season. It doesn't do much good to have an ideal peace of land with shelter and opsec in place but you can't get to it 4 months of the year. I also like the cabovers because the total wheel base is slightly shorter.
Like anonymousprepper mentioned, Mitsubishi makes (or made) a 4x4 cabover fuso.

Iíve seen one in person and looked cool. My used car lot buddies bought it cheap, cut down the glass carrying type bed into a flatbed, and sold it for double what they payed for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to OliverR. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,487 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
I have considered an m35 or the 939 - 6x6 - but the Isuzu's get better mileage and can maintain highway speeds of 65mph or more, for the times when I will using the rig to haul stuff...and the Isuzu doesn't scream "prepper" ...seems the Isuzu and Mitsubishi 4x4's are a little hard to find. Maybe changing a gear in the m939's transfer case would get the higher top speed and better mpg?
The M939 series will do quite well on Interstate at 65mph. Not as fast as a HEMTT though. None of the military tires are designed or rated for such speed so you take your chances.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:54 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
The M939 series will do quite well on Interstate at 65mph. Not as fast as a HEMTT though. None of the military tires are designed or rated for such speed so you take your chances.
Thanks! I have some that were painted in something other than OD...they look pretty tame. Do you know the ACTUAL weight capacities of the 939? I have seen different numbers from different sites. Also, I have seen some military trucks - also 6x6 that were cabovers...do you have any info on them? They are probably too new to be cheap Is the capacity of the m35 much less than the 939? Sorry for the question dump
Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,487 Times in 732 Posts

10000lb load.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Series-Trucks

Many (or perhaps most) of the M939 series have been auctioned off over the last 10yr. Not that expensive typically in the US $5000-7000. There are many models and versions.

https://r.www.govplanet.com/
Old 11-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Hiker

Thanks! 10K pounds includes what is being towed? or is towing capacity greater?
Old 11-22-2019, 01:53 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,357 Times in 3,741 Posts

Quote:
Thanks! I have some that were painted in something other than OD...they look pretty tame. Do you know the ACTUAL weight capacities of the 939? I have seen different numbers from different sites. Also, I have seen some military trucks - also 6x6 that were cabovers...do you have any info on them? They are probably too new to be cheap Is the capacity of the m35 much less than the 939? Sorry for the question dump
6x6 would be the FMTV and 4x4 would be the LMTV series of trucks. The ones being sold off are over 20 years old.

A member on another forum that works on the trucks for the Army said they are a maintenance nightmare.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 7,068 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
6x6 would be the FMTV and 4x4 would be the LMTV series of trucks. The ones being sold off are over 20 years old.

A member on another forum that works on the trucks for the Army said they are a maintenance nightmare.
Yep. Small production volume, non-commercial vehicles that never have to compete in a competitive market based upon merit.

Not a good recipe for clever engineering.

The military has lots of maintenance resources. Many of their vehicle programs look like the maintenance needs have just expanded to match the resource.

If you want a military truck, then about the only one that has been commercially successful (and so is properly engineered) is the Unimog.