New iPad, Slow Internet - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2019, 01:04 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 1,926 Times in 798 Posts

Advertise Here

My wife would have 40-50 pages open at the same time in Safari. That slowed her down. Close them all out. Double click the home button and swipe the open apps off frequently, those are the ones active and updating. I've discovered that every Podcast I watch gets stored and I have to manually remove them otherwise I fill up my memory. Same on getting rid of pictures, especially videos. If your memory gets full, it can leave less space for the operating programs to work.
The regularly do the above. When my internet runs slow to the iPad & iPhone, I power it down, power down the router, and the restart both. That way anything active that I did not find gets shut down.
There are many apps that want to have your location ALL THE TIME. Disable the bulk of those to save operating capacity.
Only two things locally slow a computer down. Insufficient storage to work with or too many programs running at the same time.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,028 Times in 7,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Run speedtest and if it says you are getting less than the speed you are paying for, a quick phone call should get them to provide you the faster router.

The difference was pretty impressive.
If I read things right the net is running at 100mbs.

I got on the phone with apple and after an hour with them the new iPad is in worse shape than when I started and while I was doing something they asked me to, the call dropped. Iíll give them a call back tomorrow. Iím at my wits end right now..

Are there apple stores like there are t-mobile stores where you can take these things to and let them figure it out?
Old 11-14-2019, 06:14 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,828 Times in 20,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post

I got on the phone with apple and after an hour with them the new iPad is in worse shape than when I started and while I was doing something they asked me to, the call dropped. I’ll give them a call back tomorrow. I’m at my wits end right now..

Are there apple stores like there are t-mobile stores where you can take these things to and let them figure it out?
They used to have the " Apple Genius bar" in the back of the apple stores.

I switched to Samsung Androids years ago, so don't know much about apple anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
They used to have the " Apple Genius bar" in the back of the T-mobile, etc. stores.

I switched to Samsung Androids years ago, so don't know much about apple anymore.
Well, I messed with it about another 20 minutes, got mad and went with the nuclear option. I reset everything, so I'm back to where I was when I first turned it on. I'll go through the guided set up tomorrow,,,,if I've chilled out by then. Might just go into the woods and burn up some rounds instead..

I'll let y'all know the results of set up 2.0 when it gets done..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 05:51 PM
Survivor

Well, looks like problem solved. I went over the the neighbors who have a "super" Internet and the setup was a breeze; all done. But, it's looking like I have a modem signal strength issue at home. All my wifi devices work fine, but it seems the new iPad doesn't have the reception capability of the other devices, including my old ipad1. I don't think I can boost the new iPad reception so that means getting a router with a stronger signal strength.

Got any suggestions on a new DSL router that will fit the bill?

Edit: looking at a net gear range extender EX3700 (AC750). That's looking like it might do the job..?

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi...60782291&psc=1
Old 11-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,846 Times in 633 Posts

I have an Ipad too that is slow as all hell. Apps always freeze and it just won't work nearly as good as my laptop or phone. Might take it to Best Buy and have a tech look it over.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,250 Times in 662 Posts

I've kept my modem and router as two separate devices. Modem acted as a fuse in case something like a lightning decided to hit my phone line. That's past now, since I got fiber installed about 2 years ago.

My router is several years old ASUS AC68 series. It has both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands and it was one of the most powerful routers cpu wise when it was released. It's still pretty good, it won't support all the latest goodies but then again, my laptops are also old so upgrading to latest and greatest router would not benefit me much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHarvest76 View Post
I have an Ipad too that is slow as all hell. Apps always freeze and it just won't work nearly as good as my laptop or phone. Might take it to Best Buy and have a tech look it over.
Do a wipe/reset first. Then update to latest OS version from the settings, the new IOS 13 is a speed upgrade compared to the old IOS 12. Assuming your iPad is new enough to receive latest IOS version.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:56 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,530 Times in 585 Posts

Pitbull, are your routers Gig or 100M? If they are already gig, just get a newer wireless router with 2.4 and 5G antennas. I just bought one at best buy, a netgear, and it lets you setup the two channels independently. You can connect to either. Plus, you can connect this to your existing dsl router. Hopefully the old one has gig speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 05:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote:

I got on the phone with apple and after an hour with them the new iPad is in worse shape than when I started and while I was doing something they asked me to, the call dropped. Iíll give them a call back tomorrow. Iím at my wits end right now..

Yes they do. Took my new pricy Beats phones in to their Ďbarí when they crapped out.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,128 Posts

You may lose speed over a WiFi transmission regardless. Also, if it’s a 5G device it’s a short transmit range compared to 2.4. For instance with an ATT WiFi router you will typically see only 2/3 of your subscribed speed when running speedtest. It’s also why they don’t guarantee their WiFi speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 07:08 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
Pitbull, are your routers Gig or 100M? If they are already gig, just get a newer wireless router with 2.4 and 5G antennas. I just bought one at best buy, a netgear, and it lets you setup the two channels independently. You can connect to either. Plus, you can connect this to your existing dsl router. Hopefully the old one has gig speed.
No I was wrong on the 100mbps. That's what it said in the control panel. I ran a speed test and it's between 1 and 2 Mbps. The new iPad really doesn't work well here in the den. Barely is an over statement. When I was over at the neighbors with their super Internet the new iPad screamed; super fast.

On getting a new router, which I'd really like to do, I'm having real trouble finding one for DSL. Seems everything is cable theses days (which is not available here) so if you know of a good one, please let me know.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:20 AM
Hunter

This is the one I've had for a few years now: https://www.techspot.com/products/ro...-router.94935/
I got it really cheap, our supplier put them -50% off when new model was released so I immediately got one. Back then I could buy all hardware at wholesale prices, good times.

performance wired

5.0GHz

2.4GHz

Tests done with my rather new desktop PC that has built-in wifi card. My laptops and tablets don't really get close to those 5.GHz numbers, regardless where in my apartment they are. There is a total of three wall between this computer and my router, two of them are thick concrete ones.

My internet is officially 1000 down 100 up fiber but most speed tests don't go that far up reliably. It is "fast enough" for everything I do, by a large margin.

Quote:
On getting a new router, which I'd really like to do, I'm having real trouble finding one for DSL. Seems everything is cable theses days (which is not available here) so if you know of a good one, please let me know.
Keep your current device as a modem and just add separate router that has good performance.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote:
SNIP.

The router does not care if you are using cable or dsl, the modem does.
There are combination modem/routers which would need to be DSL compatible in your case but if you are just replacing the Router it does not matter.

Hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if Iím wrong.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Survivor

Mine is a router/modem, all in one. So you're saying I can get a dsl modem (if i can find one) and the hook a router of my choice to the modem?
Old 11-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Mine is a router/modem, all in one. So you're saying I can get a dsl modem (if i can find one) and the hook a router of my choice to the modem?
You need to contact AT&T and have them replace the DSL Modem / Router with a newer, faster one. It will make a world of difference. Also, make sure it is centrally located in your house, to maximize signal coverage. If you have a big house, you can hire someone like me to do a network scan and signal mapping to find dead zones and weak spots and put in WiFi range extenders. I work in the DFW area, BTW.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:16 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
You need to contact AT&T and have them replace the DSL Modem / Router with a newer, faster one. It will make a world of difference. Also, make sure it is centrally located in your house, to maximize signal coverage. If you have a big house, you can hire someone like me to do a network scan and signal mapping to find dead zones and weak spots and put in WiFi range extenders. I work in the DFW area, BTW.
They'll give me a new modem? I had to pay for the one I have, now. The old one died 7 years ago. I stopped by the local AT&T store yesterday and they no longer carry modems and had no clue where I could get one. I may give you a call to sort this out before its over with..

Right now I'm looking at these.

https://www.netgear.com/home/product...odems-routers/
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Hunter

Quote:
That's what I did/had before I changed to fiber and no longer needed a modem.

I switched wireless radios off in the dsl modem/router and changed settings from router to pass through mode, so I would not have two firewalls on. Then I let my new Asus do all the heavy lifting.

In short: if your internet speed with the current modem is what you are paying for in the wired mode, then you don't necessarily need to replace it. You only need better wireless afterall.
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
That's what I did/had before I changed to fiber and no longer needed a modem.

I switched wireless radios off in the dsl modem/router and changed settings from router to pass through mode, so I would not have two firewalls on. Then I let my new Asus do all the heavy lifting.

In short: if your internet speed with the current modem is what you are paying for in the wired mode, then you don't necessarily need to replace it. You only need better wireless afterall.
It's beginning to look like that may be what have to do. I looked at the range extenders, but not only do they change your SSID name, but cut the Mbps dramatically. Plus you can't roam about with them. What I need a stronger signal from the source.

Can you tell me what Asus you got?

Edit: I was moving around with the iPad and seeing where it worked best. If I sit down right next to the router/modem the iPad rips pretty good. If I move to the opposite sided of the same room (about 13 feet) the iPad performance goes to hell. I've definetly got a signal strength problem. What amazes me is that my ipad1(which I'm on now) and my streaming TV in the den work so well. My ipad1 will actually work all the way out in the garage.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
It's beginning to look like that may be what have to do. I looked at the range extenders, but not only do they change your SSID name, but cut the Mbps dramatically. Plus you can't roam about with them. What I need a stronger signal from the source.

Can you tell me what Asus you got?

Edit: I was moving around with the iPad and seeing where it worked best. If I sit down right next to the router/modem the iPad rips pretty good. If I move to the opposite sided of the same room (about 13 feet) the iPad performance goes to hell. I've definetly got a signal strength problem. What amazes me is that my ipad1(which I'm on now) and my streaming TV in the den work so well. My ipad1 will actually work all the way out in the garage.
Actually you can have WiFi range extenders to use the same SSID and allow roaming to give you the best signal possible. AT&T should replace the DSL modem if you tell them you aren't getting advertised speeds. Fiber also needs a "Modem" too. It converts the fiber to Ethernet so it can plug into your computer.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:54 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,828 Times in 20,726 Posts

Or just take your IPAD back for a refund and buy something that works better.