Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,397 Times in 13,112 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
I agree there is value to getting the pneumonia shot. It's only a 1-time thing (regimen), is proven very effective, and is more important as a person gets older.

I am planning on getting the shingles shot. Like the pneumonia vaccination, it's a one-time thing and is proven nearly 100% effective.

Plus--having shingles is NOT a pleasant thing, from what I've heard. And you have a greater chance of getting it +60.
Shingles is not just for old people. My husband was hospitalized with it twice once at age 20 and again at 23. He's still too young for the shot. I've had both my shingles and pneumonia shots. I didn't have any side effects and I haven't had any to the flu shot I received on Thrus.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,293 Times in 3,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
I get the flu shot every year.

It will not give you the flu.

Most people who say that it gives them the flu are just wrong.

The flu is not a cold . I had the flu when I was 21 and almost died. I was hospitalized for three days.

In 1918 the Flu killed more people that WWI.

You don't want the flu.
Never had a flu shot, never.
Never had the flu, ever
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 03:29 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,363 Times in 7,812 Posts

I'm not an "anti-vaccine" person. Some vaccine's are necessary. The FLU vaccine IMO is not necessary and may be counter productive or a placebo or potentially harmful.

I don't voluntarily get a flu shot, even though it is free. I've been forced to get it in the military. I can make no correlation between getting the flu and not getting the flu based on shot or no shot.

Anecdotally it seems to me some of the worst most memorable flu sicknesses I've had were in years where I did get the shot, in college and in the military. I seem to generally be fine without the shot. So I don't get the shot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 03:51 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,754 Times in 20,711 Posts

I got the flu shot regularly for 30 years. Every year I got the flu and really got sick bigtime.

~ 5 yrs ago I quit getting the shot and haven't had the flu since.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,384 Times in 8,169 Posts

Everyone I know who gets the shot gets sick.

We do not and have not ever gotten the shot. We had the flu for a couple days in 2006 but not bad.

He would be considered high risk but refuses to get it. And the medical people always say the same thing "It won't give you the flu" even though everyone I know gets sick with the flu within a few weeks of getting the shot...and then when they get sick "Imagine how bad [brightly said] it would have been if you DIDN'T get the shot". NO THANKS.

Happily the shot is not needed for work so we don't take it.

One thing that does make me angry re: the flu, at work everyone save up their sick leave until it is almost retirement, goes out on some injury or another, milks it for a year up to retirement day. So when they get sick they don't use their sick time, they come in sick and spread it.

I refused to make change for one woman last year, she was sweating (the room was not hot), runny nose, kept wiping it on the hand holding the money. Complained she had a fever and joked about having the flu. Then wanted change. I stood WAY back and suggested she go to the credit union as "I can't help you today".

I'm a ****ing caregiver. He has NO ONE ELSE. I CANNOT get sick. WTF?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Probably Dislikes You

Thanked 36,302 Times in 5,803 Posts

Here come the flu shots = here comes flu season....not the other way around.

Smarten up people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mere_Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,905 Times in 1,930 Posts

It would also help if people knew the difference between flu and gi bug.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,263 Times in 18,785 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
It's that time of year where you see signs everywhere advertising "Get your flu shot here!"

I usually get it every Fall. However I am uncertain as to how effective it has been.

There's been some years where I've missed the flu. And other times where I've been laid-out flat for several days.

Since the flu virus mutates every season, the CDC determines which strains are more "likely" to be the bad ones that particular season. It's very much guess work. Hit and miss.

So---do you get the annual flu immunization? Do you you think it has helped?

It certainly seems like it's being pushed hard by the pharmacies, Walmart, grocery stores, etc.

Are they doing this as a form of "public service"? Or is it because flu shots are a highly profitable thing for them?

Thoughts? Opinions?

I never get a shot and I never get the flu. No need to pump toxic waste into my veins and "get" a possible side effect. I've even heard people say that they got the flu AFTER getting the shot.

Last edited by ActionJackson; 09-17-2019 at 09:04 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,263 Times in 18,785 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I think one of the biggest contributors to spread of the 'flu', is getting in close contact with people who have it.

Especially in office environments.

WHY do people insist on coming to work, when they are coughing and hacking?

Or sending their obviously sick kids to school?

I also think just simple and regular handwashing can do plenty to avoid infection.

Wash your hands often. If you do touch a public door knob ... don't touch your face. Stay away from illegals as much as possible.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 06:38 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,271 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
have not had the flu....since I started getting the shots every fall....eight years ago
Same for me except for me it's been ten years. Before I would get the flu I anyone with it breathed in my direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to workquik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,021 Times in 2,212 Posts

Have got a flu shot last 7 years
No Flu
Prior to that, 43 years no flu
Last time I remember getting the flu I was around 10 years old
I look forward to getting my flu shot again this year
What changed my mind was looking at the mortality rates vetween vaccinated versus unvaccinated
I thought merelyalmostaman was sent off in Elon Musk's latest venture
But he and the other dim-bulbs are back in full-effect
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,754 Times in 20,711 Posts

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 07:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,021 Times in 2,212 Posts

"Influenza-like illness (ILI) activity and the percentage of respiratory specimens that have tested positive for influenza in clinical laboratories have been increasing since mid-January, agency officials said.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
On Feb. 15, the CDC released a pair of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports offering interim information on the 2018-2019 influenza season and addressing this season's flu vaccine effectiveness (VE).
For the period of Sept. 30 through Feb. 2, the CDC said that although influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses have predominated in most areas of the country, influenza A(H3N2) viruses have predominated in the southeastern United States.
Interim VE data collected from Nov. 23 through Feb. 2 estimated that the flu vaccine has reduced the risk of medically attended acute respiratory virus infection by 47 percent.
In good news, VE data collected from children and adults enrolled in the U.S. Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Network from Nov. 23 through Feb. 2 indicate that the flu vaccine has reduced the risk of medically attended acute respiratory virus infection (ARI) by 47 percent.

Even better, children ages 6 months to 17 years who were vaccinated against flu this season reduced their risk of contracting influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 illness by more than 62 percent and their risk for illness from all influenza types by 61 percent.

For all ages, the CDC said VE against medically attended ARI caused by A(H1N1)pdm09 virus infection was 46 percent, and VE against illness due to influenza A(H3N2) was 44 percent.

This season, the percentage of outpatient visits for ILI reached 4.3 percent as of Feb. 2. In comparison, peak ILI activity the past two A(H1N1)pdm09-predominant seasons was 3.6 percent during the 2015-2016 season and 4.6 percent during the 2013-2014 season."

https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-...luvaccine.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Target Shooter

Never got the flu shot and maybe have been sick twice. Call it my strong genes . I read somewhere that the flu shot is a scientist best guess what is coming or the most common strain. Don't know for sure but in our house of 5 we haven't had the flu shot and the younger ones have got it a few times ...my wife and I are good to go
Old 09-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Wash your hands often. If you do touch a public door knob ... don't touch your face. Stay away from illegals as much as possible.
Can't quote this enough. Wash your hands all the time. It keeps you healthy. Touch a door knob..wash you hands...shake hands ...wash your hands ....touch your hair ...wash your hands.... Wash your hands and you will not catch germs
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CoopFrog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,384 Times in 8,169 Posts

Unfortunately I am around a lot of common surfaces. I ride public transit and work in a very public room with a door handle you must grasp and pull to open.

About the only thing I can (and have) done is refuse to make change for people who are obviously ill. They all have insane sick time accrued but "save" it for use right before they quit, they go out "sick" for a year on various work injuries, burn up the sick leave, and then retire. So they never want to take sick time during their work life.

I am self employed and get no sick leave. The last sick time I had I worked sick one day, vomited in a bucket for another couple, and back to work the minute I could stand upright (migraine).

I am very fond of oregano oil when I am exposed to cooties or fighting something off.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,499 Times in 7,855 Posts

Quote:
I think one of the biggest contributors to spread of the 'flu', is getting in close contact with people who have it.

Especially in office environments.

WHY do people insist on coming to work, when they are coughing and hacking?

Or sending their obviously sick kids to school?

I also think just simple and regular handwashing can do plenty to avoid infection.
I think I had mild cases of it when I was working. Being a cop meant a lot of interaction with others. Haven't had it even a mild case since retiring. My wife works in a one person office that sees almost no one face-to-face. Most of her business is via internet or phone. She has largely dodged it also.

So unless the horses or cats give it to us, we are pretty safe. But I agree with you. There was nothing worse than a person that was obviously sick dragging themselves to work and infecting everyone else.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 10:39 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,905 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Unfortunately I am around a lot of common surfaces. I ride public transit and work in a very public room with a door handle you must grasp and pull to open.

About the only thing I can (and have) done is refuse to make change for people who are obviously ill. They all have insane sick time accrued but "save" it for use right before they quit, they go out "sick" for a year on various work injuries, burn up the sick leave, and then retire. So they never want to take sick time during their work life.

I am self employed and get no sick leave. The last sick time I had I worked sick one day, vomited in a bucket for another couple, and back to work the minute I could stand upright (migraine).

I am very fond of oregano oil when I am exposed to cooties or fighting something off.
You know how much sick leave people have? I wasn't aware that vending staff would get access to that.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,745 Times in 2,607 Posts

"the flu", is a general name given to several virusses. A vaccine works, but only against the strains most expected to occur that year, and expected to be more dangerous. Those are the strains included in each year's "flu shot". It can make you sick, but normally less so than the actual non weakened virus would have. You can still get any of the other strains which are going around. They have a use, but mostly for those with weaker immune systems,
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 03:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,921 Times in 2,178 Posts

There are 2 different pneumonia vaccines, you should get both. However they are expensive without insurance, maybe $100-500, and more important for people with weak immune systems.
The old shingles vaccine is only effective to like 67%. And good for about 5 years and a one time deal. The new one is much more effective but only to around 90%. There has been a shortage of this newer vaccine, don't know if the supply has ben fixed yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post: