Card Skimmer Detection - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 08-19-2019, 03:12 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,697 Times in 1,968 Posts
Default Card Skimmer Detection

Advertise Here

There has been a couple of threads on here regarding ATM / paypoint card skimming so I thought I would share this on the Hunter Cat device built to detect overlay skimmers .

https://youtu.be/gKrm0MM_Ils

https://blog.hackster.io/protect-you...t-d738e3e817ca

The Bluetana app is as far as I know not on public release right now so this device might be an idea for truckers / travellers who tend to use cards a lot.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,073 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asag View Post
There has been a couple of threads on here regarding ATM / paypoint card skimming so I thought I would share this on the Hunter Cat device built to detect overlay skimmers .

https://youtu.be/gKrm0MM_Ils

https://blog.hackster.io/protect-you...t-d738e3e817ca

The Bluetana app is as far as I know not on public release right now so this device might be an idea for truckers / travellers who tend to use cards a lot.
Wow that's only $29.90. As soon as those are out I will certainly pick one up.

My local news prints an article every week about how many skimmers have been found in the area. It's usually a dozen or so gas stations. That's how prevalent they are.

To detect skimmers the cops here just advise us to look for an unbroken seal on the pump or use your cellphone and look for an unknown wifi signal. These measures don't fill me with confidence. I'd much rather know for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 01:41 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornly2 View Post
Wow that's only $29.90. As soon as those are out I will certainly pick one up.

My local news prints an article every week about how many skimmers have been found in the area. It's usually a dozen or so gas stations. That's how prevalent they are.

To detect skimmers the cops here just advise us to look for an unbroken seal on the pump or use your cellphone and look for an unknown wifi signal. These measures don't fill me with confidence. I'd much rather know for sure.
Same here, I just saw a PSA for a local county showing cops "inspecting" pumps and putting on stickers. I doubt that they would have a clue if some clever device or malware were installed in the pumps. I think some of the gas stations are actually in on it, probably buying back the fuel "stolen" from their very own pumps,

This skimming and fuel theft has been going on for over 20 years. The police have a task force "working on it".

I think they are getting federal funds to fight a battle that will never be won, like the drug war.

I had my CC skimmed at least twice, the police were very unhelpful, to the point that I told them that I might consider it as a new career since it was apparently "impossible to prosecute".

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 01:54 AM
Hunter/Survivor

Fraudsters of Middle eastern, SW Asian and Gypsy backgrounds have been installing skimming devices at gas stations and mini marts for some years. One week is plenty for these scammers to acquire credit card info and the short time frame diminishes that chance that will be caught. These scammers then install elsewhere. They split the profits with the gas station or mini mart operator that they are in cahoots with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post: