Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Advertise Here

Okay you two, I just spent an hour googling the stuff in your posts.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 04:59 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,372 Times in 4,317 Posts

Subarus have a hydraulic timing belt tensioner. In both cases where I had a timing belt slip, it was the tensioner that failed. When I do belts....I'm mainly doing tensioners and just doing the belt while I'm at it rather than vis versa.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:04 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,757 Times in 3,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino View Post
Okay you two, I just spent an hour googling the stuff in your posts.
I feel honored to be vetted by Google. Lol
60k on an engine these days is nothing. You shouldn’t have to worry for a long time. Keep up normal maintenance and drive on.

No maintenance required on the timing “CHAIN”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 11:10 PM

Well, there a lot of words here I am not familiar with, I have to start somewhere.

Speaking of somewhere, this is where we are now.

I bought some heavy duty 3d Maxpider mats and liners off of Amazon. They came, and I am amazed. The difference between whatever came stock, and even these weathertech knocks is amazing. I cannot imagine ever having a car with carpet mats again.

I started looking at snow tires. I live in Wisconsin, and have never needed them up to this point, but I have a niece that rides with me a lot, so that will be that.

I bought a Belkin phone mount thing, but I hate it already so I am sending it back and trying to figure that out.

I have an appointment next week with my mechanic, and he and I are going to spend a couple of hours going over the car together. I trust the guy, and he is willing to let me be an active guest as long as I do not cost too much time.

I am looking at a roof top box, a small one. I am pretty sure this is a bad idea, but it is fun to think about.

My mechanic and I are going to do things like upgrade the bulbs right away, and clean or replace the lenses.

Thanks for everything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 06:50 PM

I ordered some of these today. By now it is pretty clear I am not particularly gun intensive like some of the community is.
But I saw a couple traveling on youtube (who is not traveling on youtube?) and they got some for their forerunner. And it seems useful.

https://greyman-tactical.com/collections/vehicle
Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post

......Get a manual for it, factory ones are the best; Chilton etc are better than nothing.

Loctite and anti-seize compound - almost every bolt needs one or the other......
Words of wisdom for sure!
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM

Hey guys...can you take a look at this?

https://youtu.be/jHM54xIxdkw

This is my body style Forrester, so some of it makes sense. I feel like there is not enough sort of protection for hte motor etc. And I do not think I am off road enough to warrant those cool looking tires.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:48 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,750 Times in 9,033 Posts

It's a good start. If you need a skid pan, then you should get a better rig or drive slower over rocks. If you plan on seeing the back country via crappy roads then have 2 spares, an air pump and a plug kit. I would have tire chains for both axles - they also work in mud - especially if you put them on before you are stuck.

A Hi-Lift jack and chain/cable come in very useful at times. A saw with a shovel and ax. Car tools - wrenches, sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, VOM, belts, fuses, some wire, tape both electrical and teflon plus duct, radiator stop leak, hose clamps...

HAM radio is like half a day to study, and $15 for the test. 2 M radio that can cover 100's of miles if there are repeaters is like $200.

If you are handy you could adapt a small cabin tent (8x8) to fit on snaps placed on the back of the car (magnets could also work). That way you have a much larger dry bug zone to camp in for longer periods, and still have the car handy for hiding from bears and cougars. You could add a collapsible wood stove to the tent for wintering.

More fuel, perhaps some sort of small trailer that uses the same tires and rims as the car.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 PM

I am interested in the more fuel idea. Can gas tank sizes be increased?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:45 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,750 Times in 9,033 Posts

I'm not sure if there is room for a larger tank or if anyone makes one that fits. I put a second tank behind the rear axle in my FJ-40. 12.5 gallon that came from a Datsun B-210. I used some 2% resisters to make the gas gauge read from E to 1/2 when I switch to the rear tank. My selector valve in right under the middle of the front seat. It has an open port that someday will be used to select the gas tank in the trailer, which will be equip with a quick disconnect. I doubt I will wire in the gauge even if the tank has a sender. The current tanks hold 30 gallons total. It's really nice to just switch tanks on the fly and not have to stop and fool with Jerry cans.

Maybe build one of those rear bumper racks that fit a receiver hitch. You could have a tank as the bottom part of the rack. Receiver hitch points make a nice place to have a recovery point. You could clip in an electric winch too, nice if the power wire are there with a good socket. A hitch on the front is nice too.

Lot to be said for making your own stuff - buying stuff at the store doesn't teach you anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 11:33 PM

Thanks man. I am registered for intro to welding class in the fall. Back to school at age 48 right?
Old 07-21-2019, 01:54 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
Hey guys...can you take a look at this?

https://youtu.be/jHM54xIxdkw

This is my body style Forrester, so some of it makes sense. I feel like there is not enough sort of protection for hte motor etc. And I do not think I am off road enough to warrant those cool looking tires.
Likely your engine is protected "enough", but what would you like to protect it from?

Decent all terrain tires. They are not very aggressive. I'd have liked to put Firestone Destination MT on the wife's vehicle, but to save money for the time being, found good deals on Jeep Wrangler "take offs". You'll appreciate bigger voids, and a more off road based tire in the first ugly spot you get into.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:04 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
I am interested in the more fuel idea. Can gas tank sizes be increased?
Not usually. On the vast majority of vehicles, they're engineered to fit in a certain spot. On my truck, I added an L shaped tidy tank that about quintuples my range. I have it pretty simple, just strapped in with a very strong ratchet strap, vacuum breaker cap, extra vent on ball valve vented outside (for camping under canopy), a hard line, soft line, and 2 isolation valves for a gravity fed system to feed my regular fuel tank. You could probably do something similar with a small fuel cell mounted on your roof rack.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,493 Times in 3,888 Posts

Does your Subaru have a trailer hitch on it? If not I'd get one. It makes for a rear recovery point.

Also there are hitch accessories that may come in handy.

Wilco

Here's one for further research - Wilco Off Road:

They have fuel can mounting options:

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/product...tire-carriers/

Here's a full on Forester build:
https://americanadventurist.com/foru...ild-pics.3788/

Another rear tire carrier for Subarus:
https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/...rier-multi-fit
Old 07-22-2019, 12:07 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverR. View Post
Start saving for a head gasket job. Lol.

I kid, but I work on a ton of subarus and they always need the heads done. I have a 06 B9 Tribecca at my shop now with a smoked pcm. It's out getting repaired now.

Solid cars, just a PITA to work on usually and not reliable IMO. The B9's 6cyl is a gutless gas drinking whale. Would not reccomend one. Lots of turbo wrx's ive worked on are completely ragged out and leaking everything, everywhere.
For a 90's model is agree. Fuji heavy industries stopped using that cheap gasket ( graphite filler ) and went to an all steel gasket in the 00 and newer models.

As for reliability....dude I drove my 99 outback for another 50k with a blown gasket. Kept water on hand and ran it with the radiator cap loose. Not recommended but I did it. Car made it past the 300k mark before I junked it. Still ran but was rotted to hell from northern winters/salt.

My 2012 went to 80k before girlfriend totaled it. No issues.

My 2015 is at 106k and not a single issue other than new tires. Recently picked up a 2013 at 95k and she runs like a champ as well.

All I've ever messed with is that 2.5l. Subaru has much more motor options these days but I stick with what I know. Considering the 6cyl but really can't justify that horsepower in a car I don't use to tow anything.

That's what trucks are for.

Initially I found them a pita to work on. The newer 2.5 had so much crap all over it you can't get to anything. But, thankfully I haven't had to work on the newer ones yet. The 99 I had......more room but still had to pop motor mounts and lift engine slightly to change the plugs.

It quicker than removing half the motor. Lol.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Abnormality biased.

H.G. problems persisted well after ‘00 believe me. It’s an inherent drawback of water cooled boxer engines, compounded by Subaru using single layer headgaskets to this day.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:50 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
H.G. problems persisted well after ‘00 believe me. It’s an inherent drawback of water cooled boxer engines, compounded by Subaru using single layer headgaskets to this day.
Only reporting my own experience dude. The older one had this issue.

My newer ones don't. Of course mileage wise I haven't hit the 150k mark which from what I gather is about all you could expect to get from the pre 00 models.

Single layer? The older ones were multi layered. The problem was they used graphite filler. Which coolant will eat right through.

I checked. The 12, 13, and 15 use an all steel gasket.

Anyways, I'll let ya know. I put pretty crazy miles on the 15 so I'll hit 150 here in the next few months.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Single layer? The older ones were multi layered. The problem was they used graphite filler. Which coolant will eat right through.
Not that I've ever seen in the dozen or so I've replaced. They where all single layer, all steel.(The failed ones) up to 2004 at least which is the newest one that I've replaced an HG on. (all replaced with six layer gaskets)

My neighbors 2018 crosstrex still has a single layer HG on it too so they seem to still be making that mistake.

Quote:
Of course mileage wise I haven't hit the 150k mark which from what I gather is about all you could expect to get from the pre 00 models.
Good point. But just so you are prepared, my 99 failed at 140, my '00 gasket failed at 155, my 04 failed at 190.

The one good thing is that the post '00 gaskets usually fail in a way that just leaks oil externally, which you can go forever without fixing, rather than the internal coolant to exhaust leak of the 99's and earlier which leads to rapid overheating and engine damage.

If you follow any of the subaru groups people are still talking about HGs failing on 2010s+ after 150K. I don't think the issue is ever going away on this type of engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 04:08 PM
styer sniper

first thing we do on a new to us vehicle is put it on a lift and check everything. Then we change the oil and other fluids. ya never know when they were changed last and this way you can start keeping a record of it. living up north in snowy areas I would find an extra set of wheels and have some snow tires put on them. oh yeah make sure it came with a spare and jack and all that good stuff.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:56 PM

Okay, so confession time. I have some terrible ideas about automotive work. I am sort of a putz.

I spent the day with the mechanic. Three things stood out, 1. there is a brake caliper hanging up, so we are doing that on monday. 2. Something about transmission fluid. 3rd was something I forgot.

Apparently you cannot take everything off a car and rhino line all the parts in a inexpensive way.

Hoses are going to be rubber for the most part.

So, there are some basics that my brain had moved passed since it did not know it and I was off in lala land.

he said the frame was top notch. the timing chain was flawless (old lady miles), and if we get on a regular preventative maintenance schedule, we should be okay.

He is doing some research on stuff like better headlights and lenses, and beefing up the suspension.

And he said that the movie Megaforce should not be how I think about cars.

https://youtu.be/Q9yPSkQTLlA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post: