Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doom Break: Any cigar smokers out there? GoodPrepper General Discussion 29 05-20-2019 08:25 PM

Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,189 Times in 4,166 Posts
Default The Importance of the GRO BMD Certificate Index Numbers

Advertise Here

For those who don't know I'm talking birth, marriage and death certificate GRO Index numbers, that is the allotted reference to the certificate.

Here's why, I sent my birth certificate off to get a student loan, and said company sent it back normal post. Apparently a birth certificate isn't as valuable as a pass port and thus did not send it back recorded/registered/signed for. Guess what the said envelope got lost in the post.

Now I have to get a new official original copy of my birth certificate as most employers now insist on seeing an original copy before they employ you.

If you have the GRO index then it costs a mere 9.25 to get a new copy, without it the price increases to 23.40. That is because they would need to search for the GRO which takes time.

How can you get your GRO if you don't know it?

1. Certificates usually have it in one corner (please note official copies may not carry this number). You would need the time of year (split into quarters), the district and also the number. So as an example the district would be Canterbury, a date of birth for February may be Mar 1988 Vol 5 entry 47 (it depends when the parent/guardian registered the birth and not in birth date order)

2. Look up the said information on this website which is free:

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

Then make sure you use the official website to order replacement certificates as some other websites over charge for the service.

The official website is:
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...ge-certificate

It may well be worth keeping the numbers written down in your emergency binder etc, or in a separate place from the original copies. In my experience just because you take really good care of your certificates others may not be as vigilant.

PS Another certificate number that needs to be noted are educational. I've met two individuals who had to resit qualifications due to certificates being lost. Replacements can be brought from governing bodies for the exams, but you would need to know which board, when, where and what subject you sat.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018, 04:31 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,298 Times in 497 Posts

That's good advice.

It's also necessary to never send off an important document without taking a photocopy or phone photo of it first. And in any case you will have a copy of all important certificates in your BOB/BOV anyway, won't you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:01 PM

Most of the places such as student loans or DVLA if you phone them, they will accept a certified true copy of the document in its place.

Normally the copy has to be certified by a solicitor or post office. Some banks also seem to offer the service.

Well turns out that you can book an "Jobcentre Plus Customer Services (AJCS)" appointment in most of the DWP Jobcentres where they will copy and stamp/sign them all as a certified true copy. Have used this several times to send copies of documents to solicitors and the DVLA without having to post the originals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gamma_dragon For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 02:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,189 Times in 4,166 Posts

Wow really, that is awesome! I have a Jobcentre Plus near me, so I'll go ask about that next time I'm that way.