Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Dividend Stock or Bonds? RoyWalker Financial Forum 29 08-30-2019 06:12 PM
Charger SBR stock Peredhil Firearms General Discussion 3 05-08-2017 07:56 PM
MagPul Zhukov-S AK Butt Stock (GREY) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-13-2017 03:49 PM
MagPul Zhukov-S AK Butt Stock (PLUM) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-16-2017 03:49 PM
anyone modified RIA M5 buttstock? 3Jfamily Shotgun Forum 3 10-25-2016 11:45 AM

Old 03-14-2017, 05:02 PM

Default Pond stock

Advertise Here

I recently bought some property that had a 1/2 acre pond on it. Someone at some time put koi in there. There all about 2-6 inch long. The pond also has some nice bluegill and catfish in it so I don't want to kill the pond. What's my best bet to get rid of those koi? I also put about 40 large mouth bass in that were about 12-15 inches.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 05:18 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

How many Koi? Koi are just carp and will eat waste and algae. As long as there are a manageable number, I would keep them in there. Sounds like they were stocking it for emergency food. Those are probably the 3 hardiest breed you can have for bad times. Both catfish and koi can gulp air in case of low air in the water. Pan fish can be eaten and serve as food for the pond fish and you too.

I would continue on and feed them the cheapest feed you can find at the time, regardless of whether it's dog food, cat food, corn, feed... etc. You can even build a small cage that hangs over the water and throw road kill in it. As the maggots grow, they'll fall into the water and feed the fish. throw the bones in a pile on the edge of your property away from the house. Once you have a large pile, you can make bone char that can be used in filtering (and can be reused multiple times).

Have you checked the depth in the pond? You'll want varying depth and I would even consider digging it wider with shallows so you can strategically put plants in and provide shelter for fry and small fish. A half-acre can grow a lot of fish. Assuming that 1/2 acre is an average of 3.5 feet deep, that is 570,201 gallons of water you can grow fish in.

BTW, you probably did your pond an injustice by introducing too many bass... almost double. Unless larger catfish eat the smaller bass, the bass are going to eat your panfish and bugs that happen too fall in to the shallows... preventing your catfish from eating. I've seen what small lakes and ponds do when bass and catfish are overly competitive... the lake eventually dwindles down to very few fish because the catfish will start hunting the bass when they get hungry enough... and depending on how old that pond is, you could have a few fairly large catfish.

FYI, typically, parks and wildlife will fish test your ponds/lakes (depending on where you're at) and give you a good count of what you have and give their recommendations. They can even stock it for a small fee or even free (depending on the area) as long as you make it open to the public. However, since nobody keeps track of small lakes and ponds, being open to the public means nothing...
Old 03-14-2017, 05:36 PM
accipere rubrum pilula

Thanked 4,313 Times in 1,269 Posts

I'm looking at a possible property purchase right now, that's like your setup.

It's 37 acres and a crappy house that needs to burn down, but it has a sweet 2 acre pond. The problem is that the owners wife stocked the pond with koi and there's a lot of them.

I'd be curious to know how (if?) you get rid of them. I'm not sure I'd want to keep the koi or not, and if I didn't want them, how the hell do you get rid of them? Poison, netting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 05:42 PM

Manuals state that if you are going to stock your pond, to empty it out. Growing a pond with unknown fish in a current one can be very tricky. Most times, they pump the water out of the pond. This allows you to remove fish and debris, dig it deeper if needed (small ponds and lakes will fill themselves in over time), and add any structures you want to add.

Texas has this manual as a guide. I'm assuming every state would have one.

http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013...endations-.pdf
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 PM

The pond is 9-10 feet deep in the center. There's normally 2 big schools of gold fish. ( guessing around 4-500? Total hard to tell) But I had talked with the Dnr and they suggested the bass. I had also put 100 hybrid bluegill also suggested by the Dnr biologist.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM

They also use Rotenone to remove fish (the same stuff Indians used to fish with and comes from a plant... can't remember the name). It's basically ether for fish and puts them to sleep. They then float to the top and you scoop them up. The draining method would work much better in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter23 View Post
The pond is 9-10 feet deep in the center. There's normally 2 big schools of gold fish. ( guessing around 4-500? Total hard to tell) But I had talked with the Dnr and they suggested the bass. I had also put 100 hybrid bluegill also suggested by the Dnr biologist.
Wow.. that's a lot of Koi. You may want to bite the bullet and drain it. Or find through parks and wildlife if you can legally use electrical current to stun the fish and pull out the ones you don't want.

Koi or Goldfish? Big difference. Koi will grow too big to be eaten.. goldfish are feeder fish for the catfish and bass (and you'll probably be okay). The good thing is that the population (if Koi) probably wont grow because the bass will eat the fry. You may have one here and there that survive.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,220 Times in 498 Posts

Goldfish will grow as large as carp if they have room and food. Private ponds are not regulated as public waters, but still check with local wildlife officer about legal ways of removing fish. DO NOT let those koi/goldfish get into public waters. Get or make some fish traps to reduce or control the fish population. http://www.memphisnet.net/category/traps-fish One advantage of traps, you can pick and chose what you remove or release. Dip nets and cast nets also help.

The small fish you remove can be sold, check local nurseries that sell ornamental pond supplies, or used as bait. The larger ones that you don't eat can be used to feed hogs or made into fertilizer. If you have the equipment to grind and dry, you can make homemade fish meal fertilizer, another marketable item. I don't know where you are, so I don't know other uses that you could use them for, some places you could sell them to alligator farms.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 PM

I am located in iowa. I have got a few out with throw net. I made some homemade traps that consistently would catch 5-10 a time but I felt that I was not getting anywhere. I have thought about selling them but wanted to check with local Dnr about the legallity of selling them.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Viva la revolution!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,486 Posts

Im going to catch hell for this post but here goes..........

if the fish you want to get rid of is 4-6" inches in length, just give the bass a year or two or three and they will decimate them. They have to get big enough to eat them though, that's what the time is for. As far as too many bass........ our wildlife guy said 100 per acre........... idk

you can also shoot them. I do this regularly with some "sterile" carp I got that apparently didn't get the message they were sterile. We feed our fish in the summer and the carp come through and soak up the feed. .22 with a scope and you can easily kill 20-30 a day. Turtles and catfish easily clean up the mess.

not the most pc answer but hey....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guntoteninfadel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 09:25 PM

We tried tannerite one day when they were in a shallow end of the pond and that did a number on a few of them. But figured there might be a better way. I hope the bass that I put in will start helping me out on them. Time will tell I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowhunter23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,917 Times in 2,837 Posts

Most bowhunters also fish. Shoot em with the bow. Bowfishing is a popular sport here. If they are colorful, trap them. They bring a pretty penny for koi ponds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,427 Times in 3,083 Posts

Quote:

I wouldn't spend a lot if it's only 1/2 acre and 10' deep as you have strong winters so winter kill could be an issue

How is your pond fed>?

You might pay some kids to seine the pond with nets - toss the carp on the bank, blugills too if they're small and toss the rest of the fish back
Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 AM

Pond is fed from a couple springs and a tile from the field. Was a mild winter this year but did not have any fish kill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowhunter23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,427 Times in 3,083 Posts

Quote:
Pond is fed from a couple springs and a tile from the field. Was a mild winter this year but did not have any fish kill.
springs are good - should keep the water cool so you don't have a big turn over when the pond gets hot and you get a cold rain on top
Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 PM
old salty dog

Balancing ponds can be a bitch. I have an 18 acre pond that was stocked with channel catfish, Brim and Large Mouth. The pond is half at 4 to 5 feet deep and half at 10 to 12 feet deep. Brim and Bass are breeding and growing well. Cats are living but don't seem to be breeding. Somehow, probably overflow from our reservoir, Black Crappie have made it to the pond. They are big but they really affect the bass population so we let locals fish them out. I don't feed these as it is a fairly well functioning ecosystem with good cattail, bull rush and lily pad population. We do feed at a couple smaller ponds that are all catfish and brim.

Other issue we have is gators during the warm seasons and river otters in the winter. Otters oil fish for fun and i have lost, that we have found, a dozen bass between 4 and 8 lbs. AR with a nice scope and a lot of patience helps with them but a new batch shows up every winter.

Alge has been a problem the last 2 years with the terrible hot weather and drought during the late summer. Going to try to shock that out this year without too much damage to the fishery.

This is a part of our TEOTWAWKI plan along with a couple more on family property.

Our DWFP (DNR to others) is real helpful with pond planning and management information.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Bow Hunter

TPWD use koi as forage for bass, so leaving them in there for the bass to eat is a good idea. When they start getting too big for the bass to eat, then consider removing them by other methods (bowfishing being the most fun). I'd stay away from the rotenone and tannerite.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,866 Times in 9,286 Posts

I'm thinking that the bass should be able to take care of the problem once they get big enough. Catfish and crayfish should help keep the population down also.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,677 Times in 4,814 Posts

I would let it go for a while and see what happens. How long have the bass been in there? Those catfish should be growing well with all those koi in there as well. What type of catfish?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,817 Times in 2,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

You might want to use a net to remove the koi and put them (temporarily) in a large plastic stock tank, then SELL the suckers. Around here, large koi sell for several hundred dollars each. Smaller ones aren't as much, but can still be fairly pricey. Get rid of the koi and make some money, as well!
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post: