Nurse Amy's Survival Medical Supply Kit List (Comprehensive!) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dream Medical Supply List PrettyBadass Health, Fitness and First Aid 7 09-09-2014 05:46 PM
I attended Patriot Nurse's medical prep 101 and 201 class The Hammer Health, Fitness and First Aid 15 05-21-2014 09:27 PM
Review: Patriot Nurse Medical Prep 101 ZombieTactics Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 08-14-2013 06:55 PM
Comprehensive List Of GMO Products! Dude111 Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 11-18-2012 02:00 PM
Comprehensive list of possible SHTF Scenarios? Tap Water Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 03-04-2012 10:21 PM
A Comprehensive List of Urban Escape and Survival Pointers and Info andyhuk Urban Survival 18 06-17-2011 04:49 PM
Comprehensive medical kit shadow61 Health, Fitness and First Aid 15 09-19-2010 12:40 PM
The Comprehensive List of Obama name puns real wowwee Political News and Discussion 44 09-02-2010 01:59 PM
Somewhat Comprehensive Range List for S.C. Surliving Firearms General Discussion 9 03-20-2010 12:04 AM

Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Talking Nurse Amy's Survival Medical Supply Kit List (Comprehensive!)

Advertise Here

Here’s my list of Collapse medical supplies with natural remedies included (we should have these as back-ups or for first use supplies to save commercially made items!). Dr.Bones and I spend a lot of time and energy researching “back-up” plans for traditional medicine. We want YOU to have the knowledge to provide medical help if we have a collapse. I have planted over 60 different medicinal herbs in my raised beds and am learning how incredible natural remedies can be.

Collapse medical kit/ home supplies:

oral antibiotics- also consider including topical application of fresh crushed garlic and/or Raw honey, as herbal_alternatives for wound care

antibiotic ointment and/or antibacterial herbal salve ( with calendula/tea tree oil/lavender oils)

multi size bandages- lots of these in several sizes, spot, knuckle, size 1×3 is great to cover most lacerations

ace bandages- 3" or 4"- depends on your group member ages, you may need some smaller sizes also

steri strips and butterfly bandages to close minor lacerations

Tincture of Benzoin (sticky solution that helps steri strips stay in place for several days)

TONS of gauze/dressings (sterile and non-sterile 4x4s)- use non-sterile for compression to stop bleeding and sterile to "dress" wounds after cleaning

H and H compressed gauze- compact and sterile

include lots of “telfa” pads( non-adherent-so healing wounds won’t stick to the dressing, great for burn injuries) and a xeroform petroleum dressing (non stick)

ABD_gauze pads (usually 5×9) also called combine dressings

10×30 trauma dressings- for larger wounds

Kerlix roller Gauze

Coban or sensi wrap -self adherent gauze

Sterile OR Towels and sterile Lap pads- optional but useful

60cc or 100cc Irrigation Syringes- for wound irrigation and cleaning

tapes- include duct, adhesive and paper ( for adhesive tape allergies)

quality bandage scissor/trauma shear ( ALL METAL, the plastic handle ones break cutting jean material!)

Pliable fracture material- brand name SAM splints in multiple sizes

mole skin/padding- for blisters

scalpels #10

Solar Blankets- to prevent shock and treat hypothermia

Blood pressure cuff and stethescope

Thermometer

LOTS of nitrile gloves- to prevent allergic reactions in Latex-allergic patients

a couple pair (or more) of sterile size 7 1/2 gloves

hand sanitizer

Face masks (surgical) and N-95s

Goggles, Face Shields

Coveralls, hoodies, boot covers, bio hazard bags- if you have concerns about pandemics used with the N-95s and face shield

betadine swabs/wipes

BZK wipes-to clean hands/wounds, best for cleaning out animal bites to decrease rabies transmission

alcohol pads

3% Hydrogen Peroxide - a great oral mouth wash for ulcerations, gingivitis, thrush. ONLY for use in the first cleaning of wounds, if this is all you have. Don't use in wound care after the first cleaning, it will impede new cell growth and delay healing.

Burn Jel

Cervial Collar

CPR mask- even though chest compressions are the standard now, IF you or a member of your group know how to add rescue breathing this is a good item to have on hand

Oral Airways- set of multi sizes

masks- surgical(for sick people) and N-95s(for healthy people to keep them from getting sick!)

dermabond (Rx) OR super glue ( may burn the skin)- only used as a seal on top of the wound, not as an internal seal!

needle holder and sutures (2-0 nylon or 2-0 Silk and 2-0 Vicryl)- very invasive and may cause more infections in survival situations where wounds are likely to be dirty even after excellent wound cleaning)

Stapler and staple remover, with Adson_Forceps to hold the skin in proper position for stapling (invasive and may cause MORE infections in survival situations where injuries are likely to be "dirty"- don't ever close a dirty wound!)

curved and straight kelley clamps ( to remove foreign objects from wounds)

tweezers

Iris scissors

Mayo Scissors

several large safety pins

magnifying glass

pen light

HeadLamp (for nighttime injuries or to look closely at wounds/injuries)

tongue depressor(s)

ParaCord- at least 20 ft.

Ammonia Inhalants

clotting powders/dressings- Celox gauze and/or powder(can use on patients taking blood thinners), cayenne pepper powder may help minor bleeding

styptic pencil- minor bleeding

quality tourniquet (SOF-T or CAT)- only use in severe bleeding that will not stop with a major pressure dressing or clotting agents

Chest Seals- Hyfin makes a Twin Pack for entry and exit wounds

Combat_Casualty Card and Red_Sharpie_Marker to document your actions

olaes modular bandage or Israel bandage 6"

blood stopper dressing (dressing with 2 kerlix attached for wrapping)

Q-tips

Chux Pads- to lay out as a clean surface for your supplies

cravet triangle bandages

rubber bag (hot water bottle)

Re-useable GEL packs- can be cooled OR heated

aquatabs or portable water filter

Soap Bar

Fels naptha soap- to wash off poison Ivy_oak or sumac from skin and clothes (also a great clothes detergent)

Sting Relief pads

Insect Repellant

dental kit- toothpicks, dental mirror, cotton-tip applicators, dental filling material ( commercial-dentemp or mix zinc oxide powder and 2 drops clove oil), pill cups for mixing the dental filling, dental extractors, dental elevator, dental scraper, cotton rolls, cotton pills, tweezers, Chromic 4-0, Actcel oral hemostatic, 2x2 sterile gauze

baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and 2 drops of peppermint oil make a great gum treatment and toothpaste

extra essential_clove oil (numbs dental pain when applied directly

Eye cup

eye wash

eye pads/eye patch

Gold_Bond_Powder

Pain and Sleep Tinctures- Rx meds will be hard to obtain

Back Patches- carrying heavy equipment and activies of daily living will be hard on our backs

an Ear oil natural remedy ( usually has garlic oil and mullein oil)- use 2 warmed drops in the affected ear and place a cotton ball over the ear canal secured with paper tape, repeat 3 times daily.

claritin (non-drowsy antihistamine)- hay fever/allergies

benadryl ( drowsy antihistamine)-allergic reactions to stings/medication/food/contact with irritants/this is the other ingredient in tylenol PM! It really puts you to sleep at 50mg dose, but this is a better dose for serious allergic reactions!

epipen (Rx), if needed for serious allergic reactions

sudafed-decongestant

Witch Hazel- for bug bites, burns, and hemorrhoid treatment

Drawing Salve

Antacid tablets

Vaseline and A&D cream

eucalyptus essential oil- also a decongestant and good for coughs ( direct or steam inhalation/ a good insect repellent

pain relievers/analgesics- aspirin (not for children) /Tylenol/ibuprofen

arnica essential oil salve - used as an analgesic used externally, see my articles (doomandbloom.net) on Natural Medical Kit:Essential oils. Great for bruises, joint and muscle pain, fracture pain, use ONLY on intact skin.

Other Analgesic Essential Oils -Consider 1 or 2 of these – lavender,chamomile,rosemary,eucalyptus, marjoram

Imodium-for diarrhea tx

Laxative- freeze-dried foods can cause constipation!

Preparation H

hydrocortisone cream- anti-inflammatory, good for rashes

helichrysum essential oil- also anti-inflammatory and additionally an analgesic

Lip balm-I love carmex brand

zinc oxide cream-rashes and a sunscreen

Sunscreen cream

zinc oxide powder medical grade- to mix with Clove bud essential oil, and make a temporary dental filling

Raw honey-externally for serious burns/internally mix with garlic oil for an antibiotic and sore throat tx

tea tree essential oil-antiseptic/antifungal/insect bite tx/burn tx

lavender essential oil-analgesic/antiseptic/calming effect for insomnia,stress/skin care-rashes and cuts

peppermint essential oil-respiratory and nasal congestion/Headache tx 1 drop to temples or inhale vapors/also good for digestive disorders/achy joints and muscle tx/ use 2 drops on toothbrush with baking soda

geranium essential oil- decreases bleeding when applied to wound/burn tx /antibacterial

thieves blend essential oil- A mix of clove,lemon,cinnamon,eucalyptus and rosemary oils- Antibiotic/antiseptic/and a host of other actions.

chamomile tea bags- internally relaxing,headache tx and digestive problems/ external compress for burns,bee stings

ginger tea bags- internally good for nausea, stomachaches, digestive problems like gas and bloating, also good for motion sickness (crystallized ginger is an alternative, but weighs more)

echinacea/elderberry tea bags- supports immune system, decreases flu and cold duration

aloe vera- good for burns applied topically

laxative tea bags- usually contains senna mixed with other herbs for a better flavor

powdered Gatorade or Oral Rehydration Packets -for rehydration drinks ( to tx dehydration)

multi-vitamins, extra vit c and zinc

Throat drops

Rid Shampoo or a lice treatment

Thyrosafe Anti-Radiation Pills- if you are in a danger zone

Pulse Oximeter- expensive but very helpful in major injuries or chest pain evaluation

Emergency Obstetric Kit- if you are with childbearing age women

Urine Dipsticks- helpful for evaluating several medical conditions

Hemacult Test- checks for blood in the stool

Enema Bag

With the above list you can treat:

colds/flu/cough/sore throat/lung congestion
aches and pains
allergies/allergic reactions
skin irritations and conditions
digestive upsets and nausea
constipation/diarrhea
bug bites/ bee stings/ contact dermatitis( poison ivy/oak/)
burns/sunburn
minor cuts. scrapes and lacerations-including suturing
major bleeding/ chest wounds
headaches, sinus congestion
ear/eye/dental issues
stress and anxiety
pandemics
oral hygiene and basic dental tx
surface disinfectant
insect repellent
and wash clothes!

I hope this helps, I have spent 5 years researching what would be really helpful and USEFUL in a collapse situation. I would concentrate on the supplies you will need most and will likely be able use without too much training. If you have medical training, this is a comprehensive list without lots of Rx meds. Knowledge is power!

-Nurse Amy
www.DoomandBloom.Net
Co-Author of "The Survival Medicine Handbook"
Quick reply to this message
The Following 74 Users Say Thank You to NurseAmyDrBones For This Useful Post:
Agentxman, Al Diehl, annaraven, arleigh, badlands, Bazooka Joe, bestfriendroo, bunny, Chanti, Charlie26, claimjumper, clocker, CoastalDoc, Dragon Tamer, Dragon06, East Coast Woods, edprof, fasteddie565, Flofli, FrakkingToaster, francessanne, gamgee, gejoat, gravedgr, Gva, Holey22, icanoe, IronX, Jane Doe, Jerry D Young, john1969, KBee, Kinzei, kscaddo, LiberityLee, Line, LooyvilleLarry, LordOpie, MBI, moddergat, MooseMax, Ms. Tracker, MTShawn, mythinline, NCSURocketScientist, ncwebnut, O:gweh ha'doiwas, OldBlackWater, owlspot, Pacer, pen, powderandprimers, Propofol, Purdy Bear, PurpleWings, qdviv, rabiddog9, Rockwell Torrey, Rosesandtea, snafudude, spanky2313, spatarom, Spinster, Srviver Girl, Susanna, Tac Medic, Thedishdoc, Trail Scout, TXplowgirl, willthrill81, wldwsel, yoopermac, zold, Zombie response team
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 20,745 Times in 7,683 Posts

Great list - thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 11:03 PM
American Survivor

Thanked 1,780 Times in 335 Posts

I appreciate your sharing this list. I can tell it took you a lot of hours to put it together and I am very thankful for your generosity. I have copied it and will go through my medical supplies and cross off everything I already have and use it as a check list as I acquire the things I do not! Thanks again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badlands For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 08:34 AM

Hi! . . . I just started reading your book . . . impressive . . . I live in Ohio and am trying to find what herbs around here the Delaware/Shawnee used for their healing plus learn as much as quickly as I can about the medical stuff . . . thank you so much for your efforts . . . JJ
The Following User Says Thank You to jjwalters For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,962 Times in 384 Posts

Does anyone have a "go-to" website to order various medical supplies and instruments?

And thanks for the list too! Awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to MissFilthyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 12:29 PM

Hi MissFilthyPrepper,
We do have a store at http://store.doomandbloom.net/

I create and pack medical kits for preppers and those concerned about natural or manmade disasters. All kits are made by us and are designed to actually provide needed supplies for the most likely medical issues that may arise.

We also have educational supplies like our book and a series of DVDs.
The DVDs are:
Survival Medicine (the most likely medical issues you will face, how to recognize them and treatment options)
Guide to Medical Supplies (what to have, why to have them and when to use them)
Pandemic Preparedness
Complete Wound Care, also with Suturing and Stapling instructions

Thanks,
Nurse Amy
http://www.doomandbloom.net/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NurseAmyDrBones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Thanks JJWalters!
We appreciate the kind words!
Be safe,
Nurse Amy
Old 02-14-2015, 08:12 PM

I very much enjoyed meeting you both today at the National Preppers and Survivalist Expo in Lakeland FL. My husband and I asked many questions and you both were so kind to answer them. We did buy your book and DVDs and I've dug right into the book. WOW! It covers a lot of material. This will help us so much in getting what we need and obtaining the knowledge to use the supplies. I'm going to sign up for a first aid & CPR class and then look at getting the EMT classes started. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisMiss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Thanks ChrisMiss! We really enjoyed meeting you and everyone who attended the Expo! It is great that you are looking into attending medical classes, we wish you the best of luck and I'm confident you can do anything you put your mind to.

Let me know if you ever have any questions!
All the best,
Nurse Amy :-)
Old 02-15-2015, 10:21 PM

Is there anyway to be able to commercially obtain Epipens without a Rx?
The Following User Says Thank You to RedWhiteandBlueBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Hi RedWhiteandBlueBlood,

I am unaware of a source for a Rx med such as an Epipen here in the U.S. Your doctor should be willing to give you a prescription for one if you let them know you are concerned about an allergic reaction while you are outside camping, hiking or biking, away on travels or just mowing the lawn! Epipens need to be administered within seconds if possible, and ERs are not usually down the next block. I don't want you to "lie" but if you have ever had a mild reaction to a food or bee sting the next contact could be worse.

Thanks,
Nurse Amy
The Following User Says Thank You to NurseAmyDrBones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,437 Times in 453 Posts

I'm hoping you still read this blog. This is a great list of first aid supplies 70% of which I have. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for storing perishable supplies long term.

I clean out / update my first aid stuff once year and find that a lot of things do expire and some things dry out.

Food preps are expensive enough but first aid supplies and very expensive.

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,141 Posts

I'd be interested to see how you store it all. I'm finding any bag I've tried is overflowing as well as the big box in the closet.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,051 Posts

Excellent list. Thank you. I have your book and find it useful.

My biggest problem is how to organize and store it all. As of now I have one large bag, that can be used to evac. Most of its supplies are trauma related, but well organized. Everything else is in boxes.....and frankly disorganized.

I have laminated tags on boxes and bags with expiration dates of things inside. Even with these, I still find expired items on and off.
The dates I worry most about are the IV supplies, the rest I'm more flexible on.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 AM
American Survivor

Thanked 1,780 Times in 335 Posts

For storage I had been looking at the medic's chests that are coming back from the war, they are selling on ebay. Original costs were something like $2300.00 and used on ebay they sell between $200.00 for a rougher one to $500.00 for a like new one. LOTS of drawers in a large hard case. More of a BOL medical station yet still mobile if you have to exfil to a new location.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badlands For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,437 Times in 453 Posts

For organizational purposes, the first aid stuff I have is all separated in separate heavy duty plastic bags. Obviously my first aid bag has fewer supplies but when I've been in need, each bag is clearly labeled, I pull the entire load out and push they like I was displaying playing cards. For the stuff at home, it's all bagged, then in watertight containers, then kept in a dark cool place.

I still have the issue of stuff expiring though.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:51 AM

Excellent - thank you!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 AM
In dog we trust.

Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,696 Posts

great post, Thanks Amy!
For supplies that are sometimes hard to find, like skin staplers and such, Amazon is great.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,963 Times in 2,200 Posts

I would add Epsom salt for drawing out infection when used in hot water solution.

Splinter tweezers.

Bleach as disinfectant, even bleach bath. MRSA USED TO BE in hospitals but it can be acquired anywhere now.

Pulse oximeter can be had for $35. Amazon or costco.

BP cuff and thermometer may be more useful unless you have a specific problem. Electronic no monitors are easy to use and keep a record. The cuffs come in different sizes.

Blood glucose monitor can be free, they make their money off the test strips. Strips have a limited life so don't buy a lot.

Oral rehydration solution. You can mix four packets of restaurant salt and four packets of sugar to one liter of water. The packets are not equal in size. Google for other recipes. Maybe flavorings, I like sweet and salty but this tastes pretty bad. Watered down Gatorade is much easier to drink. Pedialyte also tastes bad.

Hot pads and ice packs.

Good idea to have safety gear like eye protection, ear plugs, dust masks, gloves, spray disinfectant, eye wash - water will do but you need a lot.

Records - allergies, drugs taken, vaccinations, health problems, typical readings like bp, pulse rate, wearing contacts, contact list, insurance card,
Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,613 Times in 8,964 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

My version, with some additions. I would appreciate your input and advice, especially about the medications, in particular the prescription medications for a doctor's use. I have had some grief over the list, despite my best efforts, and would like a professional opinion with the understanding that the list is based on due diligence research, some small practical experience, but no real advanced medical training. Also the understanding that much of the list would be for a group setting, with medical personnel available.

Sorry about some of the formatting. It did not turn out as I had hoped.

Household Only-Aid Medical Kit

This is something I came up with over the years of doing research. I’m not a doctor, EMT, nurse, or any other medical type person. These are simply my thoughts on what I would want available for use in the aftermath of a major disaster. Please note that much of the list is equipment and supplies to have for professional medical personnel to use, NOT for someone just generally familiar with basic first-aid. (No, I don’t have everything myself. Yet.)

It is a list for a group or MAG to have the equipment and supplies for basic first aid, but also to provide the means for medical professionals to treat you and yours if they do not have access through normal channels.

I started it when I was trying to put a group together in the early eighties. The group didn't work out, but I continued with the list.

And, no, I don't have any significant portion of the list. I have a good home kit and kits for the various bags, but not the entire list. It would cost a small fortune, require the cooperation of at least one doctor and a dentist to get some of the items.

Anyone that does put the equipment together has to be very careful not to go beyond the bounds of their training just because they have items not normally available to the public.

Also, this list, like most of my others is a pick and choose reminder list. Something to check off items so you don't forget something major that simply slipped your mind. Much of the list is for trained medical personnel only.

This list generates a lot of controversy, especially over some of the medications listed. Particularly the Rx ones, despite the notation that they are for doctors’ use only. I am not saying these are the only choices. They are the only ones I have found in my research that seem to lend themselves to a PAW environment. Any suggestions as to alternatives would be greatly appreciated. That goes for additions or substitutions for all aspects of the list.

I reiterate that it is a reminder list to get people to think on their own, and some of the items are for professional medical personnel to use for your or your family’s health, not for you to attempt to use in ordinary circumstances. Or even dire ones. The main creed for healing is to first, do no harm.

I am not a medical professional. I am a layman that has done some research. Anything and everything should be checked with a doctor or other medical professional before obtaining or using. And please note that I am not recommending obtaining anything at all illegally. Everything must be done through legal channels.

This is all just my opinion

Household Only-Aid Medical Kit

Part # 1: Medical library
Part # 2: Household use general first-aid kit
Part # 3: Over the counter medicines
Part # 4: Dressings and Bandages
Part # 5: Dental basic kit
Part # 6: Pregnancy, birthing & infant care kit
Part # 7: Pediatric specific kit
Part # 8: MD/GP's, Dentist's & Surgeon's instruments and supplies
Part # 9: Prescriptions
Part # 10: Convalescent & invalid care equipment & supplies
Part # 11: Quarantine, infectious diseases & Hazmat kit
Part # 12: Funeral & corpse handling equipment
Part # 13: Herbal & mineral remedies equipment & supplies
Part # 14: Veterinary kit
Part # 15: Medical rescue & transport kit
Part # 16: Specialty health items

Part # 1: Medical library

Red Cross Advanced First-aid handbook
The Merck Manual Volume 1: General Medicine
The Merck Manual Volume 2: OB/GYN/Pediatrics/Genetics)
Physician's Desk Reference (Prescription Drugs)
Physician's Desk Reference Consumer's Guide to Non-Prescription Drugs
Black's Medical Dictionary
Grey's Anatomy
Emergency War Surgery
Ship’s Medicine and Medical Aid At Sea
Where There Is No Doctor
Where There Is No Dentist
Where There Is No Doctor for Women
Ditch Medicine
Wilderness Medicine – Beyond First Aid
Do It Yourself Medicine (Ragnar Benson)
Survivalist’s Medicine Chest (Ragnar Benson)
Magic And Medicine of Plants (Readers Digest)
The American Medical Association Home Medical Encyclopedia
The Home Remedies Handbook (John H Renner)
Nutritional & dietary guidebooks
Alternative medicine books
(acupuncture, acupressure, hypnosis, naturopathy, herbalism, essential oils, etc.)

Part # 2: Household use general first-aid kit

Home General First-Aid Kit

Insulated storage container/shoulder bag
manual
penlight (w/extra batteries & bulbs)
pen (that will write under all conditions w/extra refills)
writing pad (waterproof)
patient tags (filled out and attached to patient for later reference)
patient data & record cards (blank cards & pre-filled cards for members of household or group: allergies, chronic illness, previous treatments, etc.)

ring cutter
pocket knife
matches, lighter, tinder, candle (for fire making)
canteen & water purification tablets
zip-lock bags

soap
sponge
folding basin
paper towels
Hibiclens Antiseptic surgical scrub (liquid)

vinyl gloves
surgical gloves
surgical masks
safety glasses/goggles

resuscitation bag
space blanket
ammonia capsules
tourniquet
eye wash kit w/extra bottles of eye wash
Cutter snake-bite kit
Brown Recluse spider bite kit
compact dental kit
compact birthing kit

tissues
sanitary napkins
safety pins
needle w/thread
dental floss

fever thermometer (anal, oral, & forehead strip)
hypothermia thermometer
hyperthermia thermometer
stethoscope
sphygmometer (blood pressure cuff)
Otoscope (ear & nose viewing instrument)
stop watch

razor blade/x-acto knife/scalpel/scalpel handle w/blades
bandage scissors
EMT shears
tongue depressors
wound cleansing wipes
blood sponges
cotton swabs
cotton balls
tweezers
ear & nose syringes

Chux/underpads (to lay out instruments and supplies)
Providone Iodine/Betadine prep pads
1 needle holder
2 curved hemostats
2 straight hemostats
1 operating scissors
1 bandage scissors
1 folding general purpose scissors
1 splinter forceps
1 general purpose forceps
1 Littaner suture scissors
3 to 15 sutures (5-0 nylon, 3-0 nylon, 3-0 gut)
1 to 3 # 10 scalpels
1 to 3 # 11 scalpels

first-aid ointment (Triple Antibiotic ointmemt)
Bandaids (finger-tip, knuckle, butterfly, strips, pads, knee/elbow, eye)
Hyfin chest seals or plastic wrap (for sucking chest wounds)
aluminum foil (for sucking chest wounds)
adhesive tape
sterile gauze pads (2", 3", 4", 6", trama pads)
gauze bandage rolls
Ace bandages
triangle bandages
head bandages
eye bandages
Field dressing bandages
medicated gel skin dressing
medicated gauze bandages (for abrasions & 1st degree burns)
Vaseline gauze bandages (for 2nd & 3rd degree burns)
large area trauma pads
Spenco Skin Guard padding (improved moleskin)
Benzoin compound tincture (sticky)(to toughen skin)(to help hold bandages)
Bandnet Bandage holders (finger, head, knee, elbow, hand, foot)
Spenco Adhesive knit (foot & hand protectant)
wire splint
SAM splints
finger splints
eye protective cups
eye patch
slings
air splints (arm, hand, lower leg, full leg)
joint braces & supports (neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, back, knee, ankle)
washable, sterilizable reusable cloth bandages (w/plenty of safety pins)
(Roll, pads, trauma pads, large area pads, triangle, head, eye, slings)

dosage measuring dispensers
paper cups
plastic spoons
eye droppers

vaporizer tea kettle w/breathing mask/hood
enema/douche bag
ice bag
hot water bottle
cold packs - freezable, reusable (several sizes and shapes)
cold packs - chemical, single use
heat packs - heatable, reusable (several sizes and shapes)
heat packs - chemical, single use
surgical tubing
irrigation syringe
irrigation solution
alcohol swabs
heat balm
rubbing alcohol
hydrogen peroxide (check with your doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)
petroleum jelly
skin lotion
vinegar
baking soda
table salt
Epsom salt
lip balm
toothache ointment
sweet oil
ear wash
Aloe-vera juice burn ointment
mild saline burn irrigation solution

(The following medications in single dose units/small quantity packaging)

Rehydration tablets/powder
sports type vitamin/mineral/electrolyte drink
Burn liquid-loss replacement drink (Sodium chloride/bicarbanate powder)
aspirin base pain killer (favorite brand)
non-aspirin pain killer (favorite brand)
prescription pain reliever (preferably to ease pain but not dull senses)
throat lozenges/cough drops (favorite brand)
cough medication (liquid)(favorite brand)
cold remedy (liquid/tablet)(favorite brand)
decongestant (topical inhalant)(Vick's Vapor Rub)
PMS control medication (favorite brand)

Antacid (Dimacid)
Laxative (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)
Pain/muscle relaxant/tranquilizer (Percogesic tablets)
Antihistamine (Chlorpheniramine Maleate, 4mg tablets)
Decongestant/vasoconstrictor (Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, 30mg tablets)
Decongestant (Afrin nasal spray)
Anti-nausea/motion (Meclizine hydrochloride, 25mg tablets)
Anti-indigestion/nausea/diarrhea (Pepto-Bismol tablets)
Acidophilus pills (for women before taking anitbiotics that could cause yeast infections)
Miconazole (for yeast infections)
Eye ointment (Yellow oxide of mercury 1% ophthalmic)
Eye anti-irritant (Tetrahydrozline drops)
Ear drops (Schein Otic drops)
Anti-fungal (Tinactin cream)
Anti-inflammation/anti-itch (Hydrocortisone 1/2% Cream)
Anti-burn/anti-itch/topical anesthetic (Dibucaine 1% Ointment)
Antibiotic ointment (Triple Antibiotic Ointment)
Skin healant ointment (Vitamin A & D ointment)
Sun screen (Zinc oxide ointment)
Vomit inducer (Syrup of Ipecac)(Check with your doctor. This has fallen out of favor)

(Plus any additional specific disease/ailment requirements needed on a
regular or semi regular basis by any member of the family)

Over the counter medicines (multi-dose containers)(detail listing)

Use Form Name
Notes

Pain (non-aspirin) Oral Favorite brand
Throat lozenges/cough drops Oral Favorite brand
Cough medication (liquid) Oral Favorite brand
Cold remedy (liquid/tablet) Oral Favorite brand
Salt tablets Oral Favorite brand
PMS control medication Oral Favorite brand
Decongestant Inhalant Vicks Vapor Rub

Pain/anti-inflammation Oral Aspirin, Enteric Coated 5grn tablets
Pain/muscle relaxant/tranquilizer Oral Percogesic tablets
(325mg acetaminophen w/30mg phenyltoloxamine citrate)

Antihistamine Oral Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg tablets
Decongestant/vasoconstrictor Oral Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg tablets
Decongestant Inhalant Afrin nasal spray
(Oxymetazoline hydrochloride 0.05%)

Antacid Oral Dimacid tablets
Anti-nausea/motion Oral Meclizine hydrochloride 25mg tablets
Anti-indigestion/nausea/diarrhea Oral Pepto-Bismol tablets
(Bismuth subsalicylate)(no sugar)

Laxative Oral Bisacodyl 5mg tablets
(Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)(Does not enter milk of nursing mothers)

Acidophilus pills (for women before taking anitbiotics that could cause yeast infections)

Eye ointment Topical Yellow oxide of mercury 1% ophthalmic
Eye anti-irritant Drops Tetrahydrozline drops
(Sterile solution of tetrahydrozoline HC1 .05%, sodium borate, boric acid, sodium chloride, benzalkonium chloride .01%, ethylene diamine tetraacetate .1%)

Ear drops Drops Schein Otic drops
(Formulation of chloroxlenol, henzalkonlum chloride, acetic acid & glycerine)

Anti-fungal Topical Tinactin cream (1% tolnaftate cream)
Anti-inflammation/anti-itch Topical Hydrocortisone 1/2% Cream
Anti-burn/anti-itch/topical anesthetic Topical Dibucaine 1% Ointment
Antibiotic ointment Topical Triple Antibiotic Ointment
(Per gram: bacitracin-400 units, neomycin sulfate-5mg, polymyxin B sulfate-5000 units)

Skin healant ointment Topical Vitamin A & D ointment
(Lanolin-petrolatum base)(1st degree burns, diaper rash, dry skin)

Sun screen Topical Zinc oxide ointment
Burn liquid loss replacement drink Oral Sodium chloride/bicarbanate powder
(Mix w/water & drink after burns to help replace surface liquid loss)

Vomit inducer (after poisoning) Oral Syrup of Ipecac (check with your doctor as this has fallen out of favor)
(Not for use if strychnine, corrosives (alkalis [lye]) or strong acids),
petroleum distillates such as kerosene, gasoline, coal oil, fuel oil,
paint thinner or cleaning fluid have been ingested)

döTerra Essential Oils:
On Guard (blend)
Lemon
DigestZen (blend)
Melaleuca
Helichrysum
Peppermint
Frankincense
Lavender
Oregano
Deep Blue (blend)
TerraShield (blend)
Breathe (blend)
AromaTouch (blend)
Purify (blend)
Clove
Lemongrass
Fractionated Coconut carrier oil

Herbals and Alternative medications:
Manuka honey
Local raw honey
Colloidal silver
Vitamin C
Basil
Cinnamon
Cayenne pepper
Clove
Echinacea
Garlic
Sage
Thyme
Astragalus
Cranberry
Elderberry
Ginger
Licorice
Oregano
St John’s Wort

Part # 3: Over the counter medicines (multi-dose containers)

Use Form Name Notes

Pain (non-aspirin) Oral Favorite brand
Throat lozenges/cough drops Oral Favorite brand
Cough medication (liquid) Oral Favorite brand
Cold remedy (liquid/tablet) Oral Favorite brand
Salt tablets Oral Favorite brand
PMS control medication Oral Favorite brand
Decongestant Inhalant Vicks Vapor Rub

Pain/anti-inflammation Oral Aspirin, Enteric Coated 5grn tablets
Pain/tranquilizer Oral Percogesic tablets
(325mg acetaminophen w/30mg phenyltoloxamine citrate)

Antihistamine Oral Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg tablets
Decongestant/vasoconstrictor Oral Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg tablets
Decongestant Inhalant Afrin nasal spray (Oxymetazoline hydrochloride 0.05%)

Antacid Oral Dimacid tablets
Anti-nausea/motion Oral Meclizine hydrochloride 25mg tablets
Anti-indigestion/nausea/diarrhea Oral Pepto-Bismol tablets
(Bismuth subsalicylate)(no sugar)

Laxative Oral Bisacodyl 5mg tablets
(Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)(Does not enter milk of nursing mothers)

Eye ointment Topical Yellow oxide of mercury 1% ophthalmic
Eye anti-irritant Drops Tetrahydrozline drops
(Sterile solution of tetrahydrozoline HC1 .05%, sodium borate, boric acid, sodium chloride, benzalkonium chloride .01%, ethylene diamine tetraacetate .1%)

Ear drops Drops Schein Otic drops
(Formulation of chloroxlenol, henzalkonlum chloride, acetic acid & glycerine)

Anti-fungal Topical Tinactin cream (1% tolnaftate cream)
Anti-inflammation/anti-itch Topical Hydrocortisone 1/2% Cream
Anti-burn/anti-itch/topical anesthetic Topical Dibucaine 1% Ointment
Antibiotic ointment Topical Triple Antibiotic Ointment
(Per gram: bacitracin-400 units, neomycin sulfate-5mg, polymyxin B sulfate-5000 units)

Skin healant ointment Topical Vitamin A & D ointment
(Lanolin-petrolatum base)(1st degree burns, diaper rash, dry skin)

Sun screen Topical Zinc oxide ointment
Burn liquid loss replacement drink Oral Sodium chloride/bicarbanate powder
(Mix w/water & drink after burns to help replace surface liquid loss)

Vomit inducer (after poisoning) Oral Syrup of Ipecac (Check with you doctor. This has
fallen out of favor.) (Not for use if strychnine, corrosives (alkalis [lye]) or strong acids), petroleum distillates such as kerosene, gasoline, coal oil, fuel oil, paint thinner or cleaning fluid have been ingested)

döTerra Essential Oils:
On Guard (blend)
Lemon
DigestZen (blend)
Melaleuca
Helichrysum
Peppermint
Frankincense
Lavender
Oregano
Deep Blue (blend)
TerraShield (blend)
Breathe (blend)
AromaTouch (blend)
Purify (blend)
Clove
Lemongrass
Fractionated Coconut carrier oil

Herbals and Alternative medications:
Manuka honey
Local raw honey
Colloidal silver
Vitamin C
Basil
Cinnamon
Cayenne pepper
Clove
Echinacea
Garlic
Sage
Thyme
Astragalus
Cranberry
Elderberry
Ginger
Licorice
Oregano
St John’s Wort

Part # 4: Dressings and Bandages

medicated gel skin dressing
Wire splint
Air splints (arm, hand, lower leg, full leg)
Finger splints
SAM Splints
Protective eye cups
Sling
Joint braces & supports (neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, back, knee, ankle)
eye patch
Benzoin compound tincture (sticky to toughen skin to help hold bandages)
Field dressing bandages
sanitary napkins
adhesive tape
blood sponges
gauze bandages
triangle bandages
head bandages
eye bandages
Ace Bandages
sterile gauze pads
Blood clotting bandages
large area trauma pads
mild saline burn irrigation solution
Washable, sterilizable reusable cloth bandages (w/plenty of safety pins)
(Roll, pads, trauma pads, large area pads, triangle, head, eye, slings)

Part # 5: Dental basic kit

dentist's head band light w/reflector
dental inspection mirror
patient bib
mouth suction syringe
mouth rinse bottle w/spout
spit pan
dental probe
dental pick
dental mirror
dental rasp
dental hammer
dental chisel
dental scalpels
dental Lidocaine syringe
#304 elevator
#151 forceps
#150 forceps
explorer
toothache drops
ivory scaler
spoon excavator
cement spatula
cotton
tweezers
gauze
bleeding control gauze
temporary filling cement & filling material (clove oil & powdered zinc oxide)
mixing dish & spatula
denture repair cement
orabase
eugenol or oil of cloves
powdered zinc oxide
dental wax.
salt for rinsing mouths
tongue depressors

Part # 6: Pregnancy, birthing & infant care kit

Pre-Pregnancy/Pregnancy use items
contraceptives
pregnancy home testing kits
pregnancy vitamins & nutrition supplements
morning sickness bags (barf bags)
natural childbirth manuals
Emergency Childirth by Gregory J. White MD
Special Delivery by Rahima Baldwin
Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
Birth Emergency Skills Training: A Manuel for Out of Hospital Midwifes by Bonnie Grueberg
Childbirth at Home by Marion Sousa
Heart & Hands by Elizabeth Davis
A Book for Midwives (Hesperian Foundation)
Wise Woman Herbal Childbearing by Susan S Weed

Birthing/delivery aids (reusable items)

comfort support pillows
blanket
towels
washcloth
small sponge
folding basin
fetal stethoscope
stop watch

Birthing kit (single use - have several)
Large square of plastic or or large plastic bag
Soap
Cleansing towellettes
1 pencil/pen
4 adhesive tape ID strips
1 patient delivery gown
2 attendant delivery gowns
5 surgical masks
5 pairs of surgical gloves
1 36" x 36" receiving blanket
2 diapers
1 sanitary napkin support belt
4 wrapped sanitary napkins
1 sterilized scissors/scalpel/razor blade
4 sterilized umbilical tie tapes
4 sterilized cotton balls
1 sterilized eye, nose & throat clearing syringe
1 bottle sterile eye wash
4 sterilized diaper safety pins
1 3" gauze roll bandage
6 4" gauze compresses

(The sterilized items to be carried in a sterilized package)
(Complete package carried in the square of plastic or plastic bag)

Useful herbals for before, during, & after childbirth
Shepherds Purse (for hemorrhage)
Motherwort
Black and Blue Cohosh

Infant care items

Baby bag
Diapers
Diaper safety pins
Rubber pants
Bottles & nipples
Formula, formula mix & distilled water or milk & additives
Infant vitamins & supplements
Baby wipes
Baby powder
Baby oil
Diaper rash ointment
Blankets
Pacifiers
Thermometer (forehead or anal)
Safety seat/carrier

Part # 7: Pediatric specific kit

Insulated storage container
ailment explanation/indication dolls & diagrams
distracting/occupying toys & games
good behavior rewards
children's fever thermometers
non-sting first-aid ointment
Bandaids (children's decorated versions)
smaller tongue depressors
smaller finger splints
decorative/festive paper cups
plastic spoons
smaller ear & nose syringes
extra syrup of ipecac (check with your doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)
toothache ointment
children's eye wash bottle w/extra bottles of wash
children's eye drops
children's ear wash
children's ear drops
children's nasal spray
children's lip balm
children's pain killer
children's laxative
children's diarrhea medication
children's antacid
children's cough medicine
children's cold remedy
safety seat/carrier
(Plus any additional children's specific disease/ailment requirements
needed on a regular or semi regular basis by any member of the family)

Part # 8: MD/GP's & Surgeon's instruments and supplies

(To be used by a physician in post disaster situations when doctor's
own supplies & equipment are in short supply or nonexistent)

Writing pen
Writing pad
Patient record cards
Patient record tags
Pen light
Microscope w/blood typing & testing kit
Surgical gloves
Surgical masks
Safety glasses/goggles
Hibiclens antiseptic surgical scrub (liquid)
Fever thermometers (anal, oral, & forehead strip)
Hypothermia thermometer
Hyperthermia thermometer
Stop watch
Stethoscope
Sphygmometer (blood pressure cuff)
ring cutter
Cast forming material
Cast removal tools
AED
Portable oxygen tank & mask
Resuscitation bag
Tracheal airway tubes
Suction tubes & pump
IV/transfusion needles and tubing
Sterilizing baking trays
Sterilizing boiling pots
Stainless steel surgical trays & bowls
Blood sponges
Syringes
# 11 disposable scalpels
Scalpel handles
Scalpel blades, various sizes
paramedics shears
bandage scissors
splinter forceps (tweezers)
general purpose forceps
operating scissors
needle holder
curved hemostats
straight hemostats
Littaner suture scissors
sutures w/attached needles (5-0 nylon, 3-0 nylon, 3-0 gut)
(Additional supplies of surgical materials as budget & space allow)

Part # 9: Prescriptions

Normal supply of current use prescriptions
Normal supply of constant use non-prescription items (Blood/urine test strips, etc.)

3-day reserve supply of current use prescriptions & constant use non-prescription items
14-day reserve supply of current use prescriptions & constant use non-prescription items
30-day reserve supply of current use prescriptions & constant use non-prescription items

Post disaster emergency-use-only prescriptions
(Returned to doctor in sealed container periodically for inspection to verify non-abuse)
(Upon expiration date returned to doctor for disposal and issuance of new prescription)

Syringes (in areas where prescriptions are required)
Prescription dental extraction pain reliever (injectable)
Prescription local anesthetic (injectable)
Prescription multi-use narcotic (Codeine)(oral/injectable)
Prescription severe pain reliever (oral/injectable)
Prescription muscle relaxant (oral/injectable)
Prescription tranquilizer (oral/injectable)
Prescription broad spectrum antibiotic (oral/injectable)
IV solutions & equipment (D5W, saline, Ringer's lactate solution, glucose, blood expander, blood plasma)
Other items as personal physician recommends and suggests for post disaster use

Specific Rx possibilities

Cipro 500 mg. anti bacterial infection (x90)
Morphine - pain
Epinephrine - allergic reactions
Lidocaine, injectable – dental/suturing pain
Lidocaine, topical – skin surface pain/suturing pain
Diazepam - sedative/muscle relaxant
Ketamine - anasthetic
Dexamethasone Sod Phos Inj 4mg/ml - steroid anti-inflamtory
Naproxin sulfate – anti-inflamatory
Phenoxymethyl Penicillin Pen VK 500mg - antibiotic
Clindamycin 300mg - Anti biotic
Codeine - many uses

Part # 10: Convalescent & invalid care equipment & supplies

Privacy screen
Gowns
Incontinent briefs
Enema/douche bags
Bed pans
Bed urinals
Vomit pails
Rubber/plastic bed sheeting
Bed rails
Traction rack w/weights, cables & attachment harnesses
IV support stands
Patient bed restraints
Walking canes
Walkers
Crutches
Wheelchairs
Rubbing alcohol
Vinegar
Petroleum jelly
Skin lotion
Sponge bath pan, wash cloth & towels
Tray w/water pitcher & glass
Hot water bottles
Non-electric heating pads (sand filled leather/cloth bags)
Vaporizer tea kettle w/breathing hood/mask/tent
Ice bags
Freezable cold packs
Nebulizer
O2 concentrator
Oxygen tank & mask
Alarm clock
Medication reminder/dispenser container

Part # 11: Quarantine, infectious diseases & Hazmat kit

Surgical gloves
Surgical masks
Safety glasses/goggles
Rubber gloves
Gas mask
Rubber boots
Tyvek/hazmat coveralls w/attached hood & booties
Providone Iodine prep pads
Commercial Disinfectant
Acid & Alkali neutralizing chemicals
Broom
Dustpan
Whisk broom
Dusting brush (soft bristle paint brush)
Pans & cleaning sponges
Buckets & scrub brushes
Heavy duty garbage bags
Shovel
Warning/Marking sign kit
Sign/placard material
Indelible marker
Heavy duty double stick tape
Staple gun w/staples
Hammer/hatchet w/nails
Wooden stakes

Part # 12: Funeral & corpse handling equipment

Record book w/pen
Death certificates
Body bags w/attached ID tags
Toe tags
Personal effects bags w/attached ID tags
Surgical gloves
Surgical masks
Safety glasses/goggles
Tyvek coveralls w/attached hood & booties
Household Disinfectant
Bucket & scrub brush
Shovel
Lowering straps
Temporary grave markers w/attached ID tags
Attachable faith emblems for markers
Bible/Koran/Torra/Prayer book

Part # 13: Herbal, natural, & mineral remedies equipment & supplies

Herbal & Mineral remedy hand books & references (just a short sampling, there are many more)
Magic And Medicine Of Plants
The Home Remedies Handbook
Modern Essentials - Essential Oils Guide
Backyard medicine
Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West
A Complete Handbook of Nature Cure
Edible and Medicinal Plants
Edible and Medicinal Plants, A Survival Guide
Herbal Formulas
Medicinal Plants, Trees & Shrubs of Appalachia
Map marked w/known sources of useful plants and rock & mineral deposits
Herb & Other medicinal plants garden
Mineral & rock garden

Collection equipment
plant ID guide books
tree ID guide books
mineral & rock ID guide books
mineral & rock comparison samples
pen, pad, & location maps collection bag ID tags/labels
Zip-lock collection bags
cotton drawstring collection bags
string w/threading needle
safety glasses
plastic gloves
leather gloves
dust filter mask
field knife
folding saw
folding shovel
rock hammer
rock pick
rock chisels
pry bar/scraper
mortar & pestal
non-metallic transfer spoons
2x - 10x magnifying glass
mineral test kit
case
2 glass eyedroppers
vial of nitric acid
vial of hydrochloric acid
set of porcelain tile streak plates
hardness tester

Component preparation equipment
cutting board
juice press
oil press
essential oils still
distilled water still
nonmetallic holding bowls
plastic gloves
dust masks
knives
wood rasp
small saw
hammer/hatchet
mesh/net drying bags
chisel
wire brush
canvas mineral crushing bag
3# - 5# mineral crushing sledge
concrete or steel crushing base
mesh screen/sifter
nonmetallic sifting collection plate
non-ferrous needle (large darning needle)
non-ferrous tweezers
small dusting brush
mortar & pestle
plastic transfer scoops & spoons

Component storage equipment
opaque storage cabinet in dry & cool (but non-freezing) area of residence
ID tags/labels & pen
glass bottles/jars (clear & opaque brown)
glass jar lids (clear & opaque brown) w/rubber gaskets
plastic jar lids
wax lid liners (for long term storage)(may substitute plastic wrap)
glass bottle stoppers
rubber bottle stoppers
Zip-lock bags
cotton drawstring storage bags
net/mesh storage bags
string w/threading needle
ceramic bowls w/lids
wooden bowls/boxes w/lids

Remedy formulation equipment
Record/data book w/pen
ID tags/labels
unprocessed honey (has healing properties, stores well)
cold pressed coconut oil (has health properties, stores well)
fresh water (distilled) to make infusions, teas, & pastes
vegetable shortening or lard to make ointments & salves
Beeswax to make salves (also has medicinal properties)
vegetable oil to make plasters
dry clay dust to make plasters (bentonite is one)
gentle oil to make lotions (coconut oil is one)
pure grain alcohol to make extracts
organic glycerin to make extracts (sweet, so good for children’s products)
rosemary oleoresin (used as a preservative)
empty gelatin capsules
small set of cooking pots (stainless steel & glass)
nonmetallic mixing bowls & beakers (ceramic & glass)
nonmetallic measuring spoons & cups (glass, wood, plastic)
nonmetallic mixing spoons & spatulas (wood, plastic)
nonmetallic transferring spoons & spatulas (wood, plastic)
Cheese cloth

Remedy storage equipment
opaque storage cabinet in dry & cool (but non-freezing) area of residence
ID tags/labels & pen
glass bottles/jars (clear & opaque brown)
glass jar lids (clear & opaque brown) w/rubber gaskets
plastic jar lids
wax lid liners (for long term storage)(may substitute plastic wrap)
glass bottle stoppers
rubber bottle stoppers
glass bottles (clear & opaque brown) w/eye dropper tops
ceramic bowls w/lids
wooden bowls w/lids
dusting socks w/storage boxes
mesh/net storage bags
cotton drawstring storage bags

Remedy use equipment
patient record cards
use, dosage & effectiveness record book w/pen
eye droppers
spreader spatulas (wood, plastic)
dispensing/dosage measuring spoons & cups
tea pots (nonmetallic)
incense burner w/breathing hood/mask
vaporizer tea kettle w/breathing hood/mask
nebulizer

Part # 14: Veterinary Kit

Veterinary manual
Specific species/breed manuals
Writing pen, pad, patient record cards
Retaining straps, muzzles, & harnesses
Cat nail clippers
Dog nail clippers
Horse hoof pick
Horse hoof rasp
Surgical gloves
Surgical masks
Safety glasses/goggles
Hibiclens antiseptic surgical scrub (liquid)
Dental tools & supplies (see listings above)
Surgical tools & supplies (see listings above)
Pen light
Syringes
Fever thermometers
Stop watch
Stethoscope
Eye droppers
Horse tablet blower
Sterile gauze pads
Gauze bandage rolls
adhesive tape
Cast forming material
Flea spray, shampoo, dip & powder
Eye cleanser
Vaccines & medications
Veterinary Novacaine
Combiotic for dogs, cats, & horses (antibiotic)
7-way vaccine for dogs
(distemper, kennel cough, hepatitis, both leptos, parvo, parainfluenza)
Basic vaccine for cats
Basic vaccine for horses
Basic vaccines & medications for any pets in and around household
(birds, fish, rabbits, gerbils, hamsters, exotics)
Earmite cure
Mange remedy
skin balm
Ear canker powder
Cut medication
Bleeding stop powder
Opthalmic ointment
Antiseptic
(Any other species/breed/animal specific equipment & supplies)

Part # 15: Medical rescue & transport kit

Personal equipment
equipment bag
heavy duty flashlights
log book & pen
seatbelt cutter
EMT shears
field knife
heavy gloves
safety glasses
dust mask

Emergency/rescue equipment in field cases

portable oxygen tank & mask
cervical collar
traction splints
air splints (arm, hand, lower leg, full leg)
burn blanket
short back board w/straps & neck support
long back board w/straps & neck support
conventional stretchers w/blanket & restraints
basket stretcher w/blanket & restraints
drag harness
recovery lift harness
rope hoist
come-along hoist
hoist tripod assembly
hand powered porta-power hydraulic pump w/jaws-of-life kit
hydraulic lift jacks
rappelling kit w/extra rope
life guard can
throwable life preserver w/attached rope
fire extinguishers
body bags w/attached ID tags

Field first-aid/trauma kit

Insulated shoulder medical bag
manual
penlight (w/extra batteries & bulbs)
pen (that will write under all conditions w/extra refills)
writing pad (waterproof)
patient tags (filled out and attached to patient for later reference)
patient data & record cards (blank cards & pre-filled cards for members of
household or group: allergies, chronic illness, previous treatments, etc.)
fatality toe tags
fatality personal effects bags w/attached ID tags

pocket knife
matches, lighter, tinder, candle (for fire making)
canteen & water purification tablets
zip-lock bags

soap
sponge
folding basin
paper towels

vinyl gloves
surgical gloves
surgical masks
safety glasses/goggles

resuscitation bag
space blanket
ammonia capsules
tourniquet
eye wash kit w/extra bottles of eye wash
Cutter snake-bite kit
compact dental kit
compact birthing kit

tissues
sanitary napkins
safety pins
needle w/thread
dental floss

fever thermometer (anal, oral, & forehead strip)
hypothermia thermometer
hyperthermia thermometer
stethoscope
sphygmometer (blood pressure cuff)
stop watch

razor blade/x-acto knife/scalpel/scapel handle w/blades
bandage scissors
EMT shears
tongue depressors
wound cleansing wipes
blood sponges
cotton swabs
cotton balls
tweezers
ear & nose syringes

1 needle holder
2 curved hemostats
2 straight hemostats
1 operating scissors
1 bandage scissors
1 folding general purpose scissors
1 splinter forceps
1 general purpose forceps
1 Littaner suture scissors
3 to 15 sutures (5-0 nylon, 3-0 nylon, 3-0 gut)
1 to 3 # 10 scalpels
1 to 3 # 11 scalpels

first-aid ointment (Triple Antibiotic ointmemt)
plastic wrap (for sucking chest wounds)
aluminum foil (for sucking chest wounds)
adhesive tape
sterile gauze pads (2", 3", 4", 6", trama pads)
gauze bandage rolls
Ace bandages
triangle bandages
head bandages
eye bandages
Trau-Medic Combo bandages
Spenco 2nd Skin dressing (medicated gel skin dressing)
large area trauma pads
Benzoin compound tincture (sticky)(to toughen skin)(to help hold bandages)
Spenco Adhesive knit (foot & hand protectant)
wire splint
finger splints
eye protective cups
eye patch
sling

paper cups
plastic spoons
eye droppers

enema/douche bag
cold packs
heat packs
surgical tubing
alcohol swabs
heat balm
rubbing alcohol
hydrogen peroxide (Check with doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)
petroleum jelly
skin lotion
vinegar
baking soda
table salt
Epsom salt
lip balm
toothache ointment
sweet oil
ear wash
Mild saline burn irrigation solution

(The following medications in single dose units/small quantity packaging)

salt tablets
sports type vitamin/mineral/electrolyte drink
Burn liquid-loss replacement drink (Sodium chloride/bicarbanate powder)
aspirin base pain killer (favorite brand)
non-aspirin pain killer (favorite brand)
prescription pain reliever (preferably to ease pain but not dull senses)
throat lozenges/cough drops (favorite brand)
cough medication (liquid)(favorite brand)
cold remedy (liquid/tablet)(favorite brand)
decongestant (topical inhalant)(Vick's Vapor Rub)
PMS control medication (favorite brand)

Antacid (Dimacid)
Laxative (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)
Pain/muscle relaxant/tranquilizer (Percogesic tablets)
Antihistamine (Chlorpheniramine Maleate, 4mg tablets)
Decongestant/vasoconstrictor (Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, 30mg tablets)
Decongestant (Afrin nasal spray)
Anti-nausea/motion (Meclizine hydrochloride, 25mg tablets)
Anti-indigestion/nausea/diarrhea (Pepto-Bismol tablets)
Eye ointment (Yellow oxide of mercury 1% ophthalmic)
Eye anti-irritant (Tetrahydrozline drops)
Ear drops (Schein Otic drops)
Anti-fungal (Tinactin cream)
Anti-inflammation/anti-itch (Hydrocortisone 1/2% Cream)
Anti-burn/anti-itch/topical anesthetic (Dibucaine 1% Ointment)
Antibiotic ointment (Triple Antibiotic Ointment)
Skin healant ointment (Vitamin A & D ointment)
Sun screen (Zinc oxide ointment)
Vomit inducer (Syrup of Ipecac) (Check with doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)

(Plus any additional specific disease/ailment requirements needed on a
regular or semi regular basis by any member of the family)

Part # 16: Specialty health items

mechanical hospital bed
bed traction frame w/cables & weights
light back traction hanging frame & harness
tub, shower & water closet support bars
wheelchair
massage table
neck brace
back brace
leg/knee brace
porta-pottie w/concealing, roll-around cabinet
rolling vanity stand (sink, pump faucet, fresh & waste water containers,
soap, washcloths & towels)
patient restraints (straight jacket, muzzles, anti-scratch gloves, etc.)
other specialty health items

I did not indicate quantities for the most part. Decide how much space you wish to use and fill the kits based on that. Remember, though, that having one of everything is not necessarily the best way to go. Better to have several of an item you know you will use often than one of something that you may or may not use. Tough decision. You aren’t a hospital. You can’t have everything. (They can't either, actually.)

These kits were designed some time ago and some of the original brand names deleted in this version. Others were left in as a reference that can be asked about at a friendly pharmacy. The kits should be discussed with your doctor and needed adjustments made.

REMEMBER: THESE KITS ARE MY PERSONAL OPINION. CONSULT WITH A DOCTOR BEFORE SETTING UP YOUR OWN KIT.