Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New hunter south jersey camilla52 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 14 02-12-2015 01:23 PM
new from south new jersey slicksjr New Member Introduction 13 08-03-2013 07:32 PM
What's going on in South Jersey? BigDudeGeorge Manmade and Natural Disasters 16 03-24-2013 01:51 PM
Hello from South Jersey encsteph New Member Introduction 9 09-09-2012 11:41 PM
hello from south jersey spwhite New Member Introduction 9 06-24-2012 08:27 PM
Anyone in south Jersey? Doc Simonson Events, Connections and Get togethers 4 11-23-2011 12:24 PM
South jersey newbie Mattde50 New Member Introduction 13 10-02-2011 08:56 PM
New - From South Jersey necine New Member Introduction 25 07-10-2011 10:18 PM
Hello from South Jersey dnice New Member Introduction 9 02-08-2010 06:56 PM
Hi from South Jersey CodaSmog New Member Introduction 14 05-06-2009 08:47 PM

Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 AM

Default South Jersey Here

Advertise Here

Want to say hi and see if anyone else local to me, am around Deptford area.

I am 50 and a disabled Navy Vet. Would welcome some company shooting at the indoor rang and outdoor one.

I am going to be putting two bags together for my wife and I, just incase of an emergency.

I will use the search tools to look back at past posts to help answer questions, but would also like to get currant answers.

My wife and I live in an apartment second floor (just sold my house) so will try sheltering in place, until we have to get out. Depending on the problem it may be better to just head to one of our three locations. Western PA, northern ME and West VA. I have a BOV with a few things in it and know I have to add a few things it's a Toyota FJ. I also understand we may only be able to get so far with the BOV and may have to abandon it an head out on foot I was finally able to sit down with my wife of 30 years and explain to her why we need to be prepared. She does not like to talk about things going bad but is now on board. My oldest daughter (30) and her husband are also on board. My younger daughter does not want to talk about it, I have tried numerous times but she wants nothing to do with being prepared. So she will be on her own I can't force her.

My oldest daughter and I are working out different meet up options and things that go along with that. My first and biggest hurdle IMO will be getting over the Delaware River.

Ty for reading my rant lol

Ok my first question is what backpack to go with? I have looked on this site, internet and other places. I kinda like the Rush 72 for myself and Rush 24 for my wife. With a add on MOAB so we can separate and go searching with the smaller pack, also don't want all my eggs in one basket. So we would appreciate help in this area.

As for protection I have that covered except for something to reach out and say hello . Have my 5.56 and 45cal wife has 12g and 40cal. Was looking for opinion on caliper opinions 308 or 30-06.

Could also use info for maybe some like minded people in my area, not the Zombi nuts please

Thank you for listening
God Bless
Vince
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Target Shooter

Hi Vince,

Welcome to the board. Fellow Vet here. I used to work around Pennsauken and travel the I95 allot. In the event that you'll need to bugout at least you have allot of options. My personal preference is the Kelty redcloud line of bags. In the SHTF situation you don't want to have really cool looking gear, esp if you're not in a group. For the .308 i would have to see what your budget is. AR10 maybe?

Also there is a group in NJ/PA on this board in you do a little looking.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:38 AM

Ty for the welcome

As for $ for the 308 I have the $ what would you recommend? My 556 is a M&P15 I was looking at the M&P10 for the 308.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Target Shooter

What's your level of long range shooting? I personally like the scar17. You can reach out and touch someone and be effective in a fire fight.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDice View Post
What's your level of long range shooting? I personally like the scar17. You can reach out and touch someone and be effective in a fire fight.
I had a Weatherby 300 Win mag that I used for hunting in PA, I think my farthest kill was around 175Y give or take. I would shoot at the local outdoor range and had good groupings at 300 Y ( all within the black ). I guess with-in the prepping world I am ok. In the brush in ME hunting, I have family throughout ME. I favored my lever action Henry 45/70. I don't have the Weatherby anymore had to sell it back in 08 after loosing my job when construction went in the toilet. I was a commercial / industrial electrician. So this is why I am looking for opinions on a new rifle to get. I still have my Henry would never part with it to many family memories. I have saved up for the new rifle and don't want to buy because it looks cool, I want something that will last and will work is all types of weather conditions etc.

Ty in advance
God Bless
Vince
Old 10-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Whiskey Militia

Welcome Vince! I'm in SJ as well in Sewell area.

Also what about getting the S&W M&P in 556 and building another upper in 7.62x39? or even a .22lr upper. Thats what i did. All NJ Complaint of course.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:18 PM

Hey guys I'm recently moved to south jersey from ga. I am currently on active duty US Army.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceSJ View Post
I had a Weatherby 300 Win mag that I used for hunting in PA, I think my farthest kill was around 175Y give or take. I would shoot at the local outdoor range and had good groupings at 300 Y ( all within the black ). I guess with-in the prepping world I am ok. In the brush in ME hunting, I have family throughout ME. I favored my lever action Henry 45/70. I don't have the Weatherby anymore had to sell it back in 08 after loosing my job when construction went in the toilet. I was a commercial / industrial electrician. So this is why I am looking for opinions on a new rifle to get. I still have my Henry would never part with it to many family memories. I have saved up for the new rifle and don't want to buy because it looks cool, I want something that will last and will work is all types of weather conditions etc.

Ty in advance
God Bless
Vince
AR-10 and Scar-17 are good options imho.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon19D View Post
Hey guys I'm recently moved to south jersey from ga. I am currently on active duty US Army.
Welcome. Are you stuck at Fort Dix?
For a soldier it's torture.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:27 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,029 Posts

Welcome to the fire.

A lot of good advice here. You may need to look around and filter some of it but good people willing to help.

I am mid Jersey Shore........
Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Default welcome Vince

I am abut 5 minutes from Deptford. I am in a similar position with not all my family members on board. Which outdoor range do you go to? I am also new to preparedness. So I am still learning. I am also looking at a 308 or 30-06. It seems like everyone has their own favorites, so I guess it's just a matter of options.
Take care Vince
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,069 Times in 573 Posts

Welcome from central jersey. Would love to shoot with u sometime but we're members at a range in Easton........if you're up for a drive.

Non zombie nuts ��
Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,208 Times in 503 Posts

Hello, I just signed up, I am in South Jersey, Atlantic county.. Thought I would join for info and meet some like minded people
Old 01-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Welcome jerseyhomestead,
I'm new to this forum as well. Some great information and people on here.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Prepared

Greetings from Bayonne! I still don't know what part this is considered, so I go with what I do know - NYC area.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Trapper

Saying hello to you. Thanks for serving....
Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM

I am in the area, looking to start hunting if anyone can help or give tips that'd help! Thanks for serving, my father served as well
Old 03-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceSJ View Post
Want to say hi and see if anyone else local to me, am around Deptford area.
My wife and I live in an apartment second floor (just sold my house) so will try sheltering in place, until we have to get out. Depending on the problem it may be better to just head to one of our three locations. Western PA, northern ME and West VA.
Hi Vince! Welcome to the forum. Sorry that I did not post until now.

I live in the general area as you do, but I have a difficulty with considering our bug-out location (“BOL”) in Western PA. Although that is a great geographical area, the problem that I have is that in a SHTF scenarios when we could not shelter in place and would have to evacuate far away, the bridges across the Delaware River are going to be inaccessible. I am not counting on them being open.

Or do preppers in South Jersey count on getting across Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross, Commodore Berry, or Walt Whitman in a serious emergency?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:57 AM

Default Sorry Its Been A While

Have been really busy. I now have my three rifles a 30/06, 22LR takeDown and a .556/.223 and grea scops for wach also three hand Guns .40S&W sig .45ACP sig carry size for each and a compact 9mm Ruger LC9s with green laser went with a Hidden Hybrid holster Love it. I also went with 511 tactical Rush 72 for mewith extra pouches also the Rush Moab 10 and Rush 24 and a few pouches and Rush Moab 6 for my wife. everything is ready to go. No reason to get into detail of whats in each, there are a million treads on that i went with what i think is best for us. I also made up a kit for each of out trucks. they are all ready to go. the best tnk that has happen is we have decided to get the blank out of NJ. will be moving to a location in WV where my oldest daughter and husband live. will be out of NJ in March thank GOD if not for my wife i would be there already. but we have been together for 33 years and i would never leave her. the only thing i will miss is my youner daughter and grandaughter. I am trying to get her to move but she wants to finish colege first. I will miss also the Ocean but will enjoy being away for all the hustle and bustle of this area. I have learned allot from reading different peoples thoughts on the site. then used that to make up what i wanted.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteve View Post
Hi Vince! Welcome to the forum. Sorry that I did not post until now.

I live in the general area as you do, but I have a difficulty with considering our bug-out location (“BOL”) in Western PA. Although that is a great geographical area, the problem that I have is that in a SHTF scenarios when we could not shelter in place and would have to evacuate far away, the bridges across the Delaware River are going to be inaccessible. I am not counting on them being open.

Or do preppers in South Jersey count on getting across Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross, Commodore Berry, or Walt Whitman in a serious emergency?
that is one of the main reasons i am moving to WV along with some other reasons. in something happens i feel we will be stuck here in NJ do to the bridges.