How important do you rate a bicycle as a survival tool? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1 Tool, Survival Knife OR Multi-Tool and why? cocdieselkev Knives, Swords & Axes 29 11-03-2012 11:39 AM
Bicycle, Best All Round Survival Tool Dave-Shelter Health, Fitness and First Aid 17 08-26-2012 07:30 PM
An Education Ė The most important tool for a Bug Out? Westfalia Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 02-19-2012 05:41 PM
Most Important Survival Tool. thebushman Polls and Surveys 30 01-23-2012 01:26 PM
Multi-Tool / Survival Tool Question Stove Reviews and questions 14 01-09-2012 04:00 AM
Bicycle Survival Gear .... vja4Him Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 01-31-2011 01:19 PM
Mobile Cell Phone Most Important Tool!? major9985 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 179 06-12-2010 04:55 PM
the bicycle for survival blue123 Vehicles & Transportation 33 05-29-2008 03:23 AM
An Important New Tool for Survivalists Wulf23 Jokes, Humor & Music 2 05-23-2008 07:36 PM

Old 10-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,957 Times in 930 Posts

Advertise Here

Itís been mentioned in a round about way, but a bicycle will not be as useful if you donít keep your skill set up! (And your bike maintained!)

I got busy a while back and found endurance and skill degrades faster than youíd expect!

Keeping a bicycle in your trunk, or office closet is great, but donít expect good performance from either you or the bike if youíre not riding it time to time!

For long term use a simple bike is better! Iíve used a non suspended mountain bike for years as my main transportation and then several decades as needed with general maintenance and upkeep year in and year out!

Get something simple and straightforward then acquire the tools and knowledge to keep it humming!

SD
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2019, 04:51 PM

I think bikes are good to have around. Better than walking everywhere. But as noted by SheepDog68, it has to be used and maintained to be useful in a SHTF situation.

I like mine as a way to get exercise, especially since I don't like running unless I have to.

However, in a SHTF situation and assuming the bike is able to be maintained, it would likely be useful to figure out a way to attach a basket or something behind it for any scavenging or salvaging things one may come across depending on the situation.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive
Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,379 Times in 4,317 Posts

One thing I see get confused a lot here is the difference between post SHTF transportation, and a bug out vehicle.

I think a bicycle is a very poor bug out vehicle.

It's great post SHTF transportation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 03:53 PM

agreed Sheepdog...at my age...things are fading, whether I stay at it or not...balance is not near what it was even 10 years ago..let along in my teens and 20s when I rode a ton.
both my main pumpers are well maintained and I know how to, and have the tools, to keep them right...in fact, i grabbed my folder out of the trunk just yesterday (saturday), as I wound up at a fall festival event where my wife was working her rig and I went in to help as it was crazy busy..but parking for me in my car coming in later meant a long hike from a field that woulda cost me 10-15 mins...and i knew it was aback n forth thing as well, plus there are some nice trails (moderate hills) in that greenway...so it was an easy decision to park the car and pop the trunk...had a low tire...quick pump up and i was off n going in the time it would have taken me to reach the edge of the parking area, let alone the rest of the hike.
was feeling the burn a bit later when I took a ride for enjoyment on one of the trails that led down to the lake..fun going down, bit of work on the return..but no problem climbing the last of it in 2nd/3rd on my 18.
but to your point..if it just sat "as a prep" in the trunk all the time...I'd be darn lucky to make it the 20miles huff home under duress.
anyway..to Aerindel's point...bike might be what we have after the lights go out..I'll admit I enjoy a good zombie apocalypse movie now and then, but have no desire to actually live through it...my trunk bike is part of my get home options..not a bugout, not an end of days rig.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,957 Times in 930 Posts
Exclamation

My grandfather rode his bike daily into his late 80ís! Sometime before 90 he switched to a 3 wheeler and rode often until the last year or so when he started having a bit of trouble with it.

Heís mid 90ís now and slowed down a lot since he quit riding! Keeping active really seemed to work well for him!

SD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,927 Times in 7,521 Posts

Depends on if you are still physically able to ride one.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,058 Times in 4,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
One thing I see get confused a lot here is the difference between post SHTF transportation, and a bug out vehicle.

I think a bicycle is a very poor bug out vehicle.

It's great post SHTF transportation.
I don't disagree. For me, my bike is in case my vehicle craps out "bugging home". While I can travel much longer distances with a bike than on foot, the bike does require slightly easier terrain to navigate than you could on foot. Bug home option instead of being on foot? Sure. Bugging out from home, vehicle all the way.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post: