Old 09-07-2019, 02:11 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,360 Times in 587 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry-no-clues View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post

She has the ability to “veto” a law from parliament.
Only if she wants to start a revolution.

When Diana died and the Queen didn't fly a fag at half-staff, we were days away from becoming a republic. I've never felt the strength of opinion in everyone I met, as I encountered at that time. If she, or her successor, tried to interfere with the politics, she'd be an unemployed old lady within a week.
I think if Boris asks her to, it would be the normal thing for her to do. She hasn’t rejected a law by parliament but has from territories a few times the last in 1980.

I think if the election happens Boris wins.

I also think that he could just refuse to ask the EU for more time and run out the clock. I think a no confidence vote makes an election happen. I don’t see a National unity government forming. If they had the votes they would have already taken out Boris.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 06:40 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,298 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
I think if Boris asks her to, it would be the normal thing for her to do. She hasn’t rejected a law by parliament but has from territories a few times the last in 1980.
That should tell you how she's likely to behave in 2019.

Quote:
I think if the election happens Boris wins.
Maybe, but he'll have to make a deal with the Brexit party.

Quote:
I also think that he could just refuse to ask the EU for more time and run out the clock. I think a no confidence vote makes an election happen.
Not necessarily. It should do, but the Fixed Term Parliament Act gets in the way.

Quote:
I don’t see a National unity government forming. If they had the votes they would have already taken out Boris.
Theoretically Corbyn could now go to the Queen to form a Government, but he can't do that without a vote of confidence to kick out the old government. the fact he doesn't push that shows that he knows he can't win in Parliament, and can't win in the country.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 PM
All over Europe

Thanked 8,722 Times in 2,524 Posts

I voted Leave, as did a majority of us. I still have some hope that we will - eventually - leave, proving that democracy really isn't dead here yet, though it's pretty much on life support.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxkitten86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 AM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 29,158 Times in 8,458 Posts

Quote:
Only if she wants to start a revolution.

When Diana died and the Queen didn't fly a fag at half-staff, we were days away from becoming a republic. I've never felt the strength of opinion in everyone I met, as I encountered at that time. If she, or her successor, tried to interfere with the politics, she'd be an unemployed old lady within a week.
As I understand such, the Royal Standard shouldn't have been lowered to begin, as it is only really an indicator of her presence. It wasn't even lowered when her father, King George VI, expired in 1952.

Though the hard feelings about HRM could have all been resolved by an immediate address of the tragedy, as she did five days after the fact.

Not only does the woman live in a bubble, but she is of another generation from most, both making it difficult for her to independently assess matters with respect to public opinion. But she does in fact interfere with politics, as constitutionally permitted and recently demonstrated by her consent to the prorogation of Parliament.

My personal opinion is that such a figurehead isn't required for the United Kingdom, as it is a waste of resources to maintain 34 royal residences, paying a stipend, assuring personal security, and so on and so forth...All while there are greater needs that should be addressed right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,039 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
Do you care to elaborate what exactly the reprecussions you are seeing of this announcement for those of us whom are unfamiliar with your situation ?
https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/no-d...-consequences/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47470864

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/20/how-a...ives-10426038/

https://www.fxcm.com/uk/insights/eco...s-soft-brexit/
Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,189 Times in 4,166 Posts

I had a conversation with the food delivery guy today, he said another lady was buying in canned goods, because they are all from the EU.

I know that Schweppes drinks are produced here in the UK, as my sibling worked there years ago.

I've got lots of canned fruit, as that is what I mostly eat, as it usually doesn't include wheat and thickener. I do need to get some tinned meat, but that is it.

The big freezer is full. I need to defrost the small freezer, so I can get a bit more in there.

The dogs canned food is from the UK, but I forgot to check his dry mix, so I will have to do that next time I'm at the shops.

I'm not sure about the Quinoa I have, as some are produced here and some in South America, but I guess that import wont change.

I guess it's worth looking at every product just to see where it's made.

I've already checked my meds, and some are made here and some in the EU. I guess I'll have to see if I can get some extra by the end of October.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,298 Times in 497 Posts

Parliament's coming back tomorrow, so that's alright then. I was getting all worried that I hadn't seen Bercow for a couple of weeks.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 AM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 29,158 Times in 8,458 Posts

Quote:
Parliament's coming back tomorrow, so that's alright then. I was getting all worried that I hadn't seen Bercow for a couple of weeks.
I read this morning that the English Supreme Court has delivered a ruling, stating that the suspension of Parliament is unlawful.

So much for the Queen's decision to sign off on said suspension. If she doesn't like it, she can still always fire everyone.