Survivalist Forum banner

Renting a home as a gun-owner

6K views 53 replies 35 participants last post by  corybdesign 
#1 ·
I am relocating to southern Utah due to a new job. Like many Americans, the crappy housing market is forcing me to rent a home, rather than buy, until I can get my house back in Idaho sold.

So, I found a nice place on over an acre in an area I love. I went and looked at the place with the property manager, liked the house and told the property manager to send me the rental agreement for my review.

Well, much to my surprise, in the rental agreement there is a section which states "Firearms and ammunition will not be stored on the property". I am so pizzed off right now. I sent the property manager an e-mail back telling her basically that she could get bent, that I would NEVER occupy a home that required I surrender one of my Constitutional rights.

How common is this? I've lived in military housing and my own home off-base for the last 20 years, so maybe/apparently things have changed for the worse over the years? I can't fathom why the landlord would give a damn if I have firearms in the home. And the sad thing is this home is in UTAH. I grew up in Utah, and I know it is still a solid pro-gun state.

Sorry for the lengthy rant, but I am still very unhappy about this crap. I've started looking at other places, but I just hope this isn't going to be an issue with other homes in the area as well. Friggin' disgusted right now... :mad:

See less See more
#37 ·
Never had that clause in any of the apartments and townhouses I rented in Liberal Illinois.

The only rules they had were about keeping gasoline and explosives in the house.

I had the land lord - owner of the townhouse I rented bring a revolver over for me to look up in my Blue Book of Gun Values. That was in Illinois!

Take your money elsewhere.

#42 ·
Well the property manager/realtor is already tap-dancing. Apparently this wording was put in there by an over-zealous lawyer that drafted up their standard lease form several years back. So, they are offering to strike that section completely from the agreement.

#43 ·
Lol. Overzealous lawyers writing contracts, that brings back some memories.

"Here, sign this 500 page construction contract!"

Me: "No, you sign my 20 page AIA standard contract. I'm not signing a contract that says if a mouse farts two streets over I'm in breach."

Them: "You have to sign it. We paid a lawyer over $100,000 to write that!"

Me: "Sounds like you just learned an expensive lesson."

They refused, and kept shopping for a general contractor who would sign. That was over 5 years ago. Project still hasn't broken ground.

Good to hear that the PM is backing off.

#52 ·
Why would you tell them to get bent as you put it. IF you don't like their terms don't rent the place.
Because as I mentioned, places in the area I want to live are tough to find, let alone houses that allow pets. Not to mention I didn't like the implication that firearms ownership somehow made me an undesireable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.