Survivalist Forum banner
9K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  jetjky 
#1 ·
Any rifles that shoot all three cartridges? Any revolvers?

#3 ·
No, not in a rifle. The magnum cartridge is larger in diameter than the standard .22 cartridges. You could fire a standard .22 cartridge in a magnum chamber but, you stand a chance of a case failure which could ruin you gun and/or harm the shooter. Not recommended.

Some revolvers are available with 2 cylinders, 1 for standard cartridges and one with larger chambers for magnum cartridges, which would allow you to shoot them all.

Al

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ
#5 ·
.22 WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire) and .22 Magnum are the same. The .22 WRF (Winchester Rimfire) or .22 Special is different. But, the same info applies since it is the same diameter as the .22 magnum. You can shoot .22 WRF in a .22 WMR gun.

Al

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ
#6 ·
yeah, sorry... I confuse WRM and WRF on a regular basis.

I don't think you can shoot .22 Magnum in an old .22 WRF gun though. I have a model 1890 that was converted from WRF to .22 Magnum, and it required resleeving the barrel, rechambering, and milling out the carrier. (At least, that's what the guy did to it...)

#8 ·
You are correct. The magnum is just a longer version of the WRF and it is too long to chamber in the WRF. Think .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

Yes allsierra123, you can shoot LR ammo in a magnum but, the first time you get a case failure and you extractor goes flying off hits you, you will not want to do it again. I would only do it in an emergency but, I would never recommend doing it for the heck of it. It is not safe. And it might void your warranty. Your mileage may vary. etc.:D:

Al

#7 ·
I have shot .22lr through a .22 mag rifle. It wont eject the shell due to it belling out the copper and the bolt wont grab it. But you can pull it out with your fingernail pretty easily. But I would call it less than ideal. I mean if you had nothing else you could get your hands on other than .22lr than it would work in a pinch. Although it wont work the other way round. The mag round wont fit in the .22lr rifle at all.

#9 ·
Shooting .22 long rifle, longs or shorts in a .22 Magnum chamber is a bad idea because you can burn yer face or lose an eye from hot gases from a split casing. The .22 Mag case is a bit wider at the base than .22LR.

It'll work in a pinch for an emergency or shtf, but it's generally not recommended. Just don't do it..

#11 ·
I like to think of it as "Synchronized Typing". Maybe we can get it into the next Olympics as an event.:D:

Al

Reactions: Filthy_McNasty
#13 ·
shooting a 22lr or 22 short in a 22 magnum is not a problem. It does mean the weapon is being used as a single shot. Just take a fired 22 magnum case and the file from a swiss army knife of multitool and file off the head of the fired case. The 22 lr slips right inside and fires fine without bulging or splitting. When it ejects the 22 magnum case generally comes with it and you can easily pull the 22lr case from the 22 mag case and reload. I used to use it in a marlin model 57 22 magnum I used to have. I have used it in both of my ruger single sixes. A boltaction 22 magnum or single shot is the easiest to do this with as far as rifles. If you mess up the homemade adapter the making another is just a few minutes in the field.

#14 ·
I believe that you're thinking of the older guns that shot Short, Long and Long Rifle and that you could even mix up in the under barrel or through stock brass magazine...They may have made a WMR version of the gun but it would shoot only mags efficiently.

If you shoot a shorter cased .22 through the mag you get really poor accuracy since the bullet has to "jump" the distance from the case opening to the barrel rifling and has a tendency to ding itself, deforming the head slightly and ruining aerodynamics, hence downrange accuracy..,Remember the bolt head grips the cartridge in a rimfire not the chamber mouth.

#15 ·
All .22 lR bolt action rifles will shoot .22 short, long, and long rifle cartridges. At least one semi auto will shoot .22 short, long, or long rifle cartridges. I just picked up a nice Remington 552 Speedmaster in a local shop that handles all three nicely. However, for it to cycle reliably with shorts, they need to be high velocity. I always wanted one of these...got it for $120.00.
None will shoot .22 magnum in the same barrel/chamber as .22 short, long or long rifle..

As other folks in the thread stated, .22 short, long, and long rifles can
be used in a .22 magnum chamber....not safely anyway, but can be done in emergency situations.

I've tried standard velocity .22 long rifles in my Ruger Super Single Six .22 magnum cylinder and they worked. The cases swelled severely but no case rupture. .22 long rifle high velocity cartridges would be more prone to rupture because of higher pressures.

#16 ·
.22 shorts are hard to find.

22 magnum is a nice caliber for small game hunting past 50 yards.

However, just having a 22lr rifle is just fine. My gues is 90% of all rimfire ammo sold is 22lr including 17 cals in the mix.

For the real rural survival situations. I think a bolt or lever action 22 mag rifle is an excellent idea. A bit more extra power for defense if needed. Or a bit more pop to big game hunt. Which is not a good idea unless you really needed to with a rimfire rifle.

However, I don;t focus much on bug out. Hunkering down is much better in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.