Survivalist Forum banner

Hurricane Dorian

43K views 300 replies 74 participants last post by  Vlad Tepes 
#1 ·
Looking more and more like the east coast of FL between Daytona Beach and Jacksonville is going to catch this thing in the face. Projected as a cat 3 when it comes ashore. Everyone be safe, be prepped out there.

#6 ·
Will be start'in up the genny today, but we are prepared, we prepare at the beginning of hurricane season not the last minute. People are already starting to get crazy. All the grocery store parking lots are full and gas stations have bunches of people going in and out, I expect it won't be long until the out of gas signs are posted at gas stations but we got plenty. Stopped into see the manager of Winn Dixie who I've known for years, he said the water is already gone, he shook his head and said "whenever a hurricane is mentioned the water is the first thing to go"...LOL I laughed and said "you know me we don't need any water". I picked up some T-bone steaks that were on sale. When leaving some people walking into the store asked us if there was any water left and we said "nope". We'll sit back and watch the madness of unprepared people at each others throat on the news as they scurry around trying to buy whatever they can get their hands on. Anywho we are in central FL, not near the coast...

#7 ·
Will be start'in up the genny today, but we are prepared, we prepare at the beginning of hurricane season not the last minute. People are already starting to get crazy. All the grocery store parking lots are full and gas stations have bunches of people going in and out, I expect it won't be long until the out of gas signs are posted at gas stations but we got plenty. Stopped into see the manager of Winn Dixie who I've known for years, he said the water is already gone, he shook his head and said whenever a hurricane is mentioned the water is the first thing to go...LOL I laughed and said "you know me we don't need any water". I picked up some T-bone steaks that were on sale, we'll sit back and watch the madness of unprepared people at each others throat on the news as they scurry around trying to buy whatever they can get their hands on. Anywho are in central FL, not near the coast...
I can't help myself. I prep and go crazy anyway.

Just in case I run out of milk sandwiches.

They also have sales on for survival stuff just before.

#11 ·
Yeah I'm not sure how much they are throttling back on that to keep the roads and interstates from getting jambed up like they did with Irma. Lot of state officials still cant sit down from the ass chewin they took on that one, telling the whole bottom half of the state to jump up and hit one of 2 interstates heading north.

Like you, got a bit of bad feeling on this one.

Reactions: Nefarious1
#17 ·
It's crazy out here in South FL already. Long lines for gas, cases of water sold out. I went into Publix today and there was almost no bread on the bread aisle and the pasta shelves were really thinned out also. Thankfully I have gas, food and water already.

But I'm dreading hanging my hurricane shutters because it's a full day job and at 96 degrees and 85% humidity it's also a tough job.

Stay safe if you're in the cone of death.

#27 ·
when we first came here (2002) we were very apprehensive about hurricanes. Since then, we find we get more rain & wind from thunderstorms that from hurricanes. Matthew woke us up in the middle of the night with wind noise, but that's been the worst, so far.

We have all the trees that could hit the house cut down in the SE to Southern direction, 2 generators, 200 50 gallons of water, and a 75% full propane tank. We prep full time, so I'm pretty sure we'll be OK.

We also ask for God's hand on us every night - maybe the most important prep of all.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

#29 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes, I usually break the shutters up over a couple of days. I should probably invest in some newer technology I am still hanging the original corrugated steel shutters. I have 27 windows. I do have accordion shutters over the sliders. My neighbor had some type of carbon fiber screen shutters, they weigh a pound or two vs what I lug around.

This morning all the gas stations have huge lines. I'm in central Palm Beach county, the panic is on.

#33 ·
Here in Olando it`s just starting to get crazy!. I picked up on water and batterys,today is gas day for the new Jenny wired into the house. Just finished installing it last week,didn`t know I`d need it so soon!!. Have plenty of Survival Food but with the fridge on the Jenny hope it`s not needed!. Also have propane stove so as not to use the oven and can use the microwave. Boarding up the house Saturday,hate that..so dark and gloomy inside but have to protect the windows!. Wishing ALL in this path of this Storm Good Luck!!.

#35 ·
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Florida and in the path of this storm. It does look like it'll be a big one. I'm also a little nervous for us here in Louisiana. If it passes through Florida and into the gulf then it may strengthen again and head our way. Of course, it's way too early to tell if that will happen but I'm definitely keeping my eyes on the news this weekend.

#39 ·
If this one follows the script the next few days will be filled with more official dire warnings leading up to a "You are all going to die". Than there will be news coverage of "brave" reporters standing behind concrete barriers as the wind whips items across parking lots. Occasionally the news casters will go stand out in the wind and rain and look miserable for the cameras.

After the storm dies down, the first initial reports were it was not as bad as everyone predicted it to be. The reporters will head home. The next few weeks will be filled with local stories of damage and cleanup. The damage turns out to be actually really bad, and might take years to restore, but no one on the national stage cares anymore. That is unless it can become a political news item against the President.

#42 ·
Newest update, they're now predicting between Cape Canaveral and Palm Beach. Pretty much the same as earlier.

I just got 2 tarps in case of roof leaks after the storm. No more generators left, no batteries and barely any flashlights and taprs.

I have everything else. I would like a second generator though. The one I have can run everything in my kitchen, a couple fans, internet, tv and one of my portable ac units.
I would like a second genny to run the other two ac units.

#44 ·
It's a good idea to have them tied down, especially if your location is prone to flooding.

They should also be turned off at the tank if you evacuate, just in case they do break free.

Some of the latest model runs look bad for FL, and not too good for most of the East coast over the next week or so.

This one shows three possible landfalls, days apart:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...gion=us&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2019082912&fh=0

#47 ·
Knowing a hurricane is going to have a chance to hit you many days in advance must be a bit of a weird sensation. The mood in the area I imagine is very tense and you just get your stuff done and then wait.

Growing up in the Midwest we have tornados but it is such a different thing. You may have a half of day warning that some severe weather is heading your way. You do a few small things like pull you grill inside or some patio furniture, make sure the cars are in the garage (avoid hail damage) and maybe preplace some flashlights in the basement. While the wind speeds and destruction are usually worse in tornados the actual damage area is so much smaller. You also do not have to deal with the wide area of infastructure damage after the event. You watch the weather channel and if tornado gets close you head to the basement and sit it out. It over in minutes and you go about your day. Not waiting hours and hours hoping you power, water, trees do not go down. If you are in an impact area you can drive 10 minutes and be back to "civilization"

Get ready down there boys and girls and stay safe. For some reason this guy in the Midwest(take it for what it is worth) thinks this might be a bad one

#50 ·
Knowing a hurricane is going to have a chance to hit you many days in advance must be a bit of a weird sensation. The mood in the area I imagine is very tense and you just get your stuff done and then wait.

Growing up in the Midwest we have tornados but it is such a different thing. You may have a half of day warning that some severe weather is heading your way. You do a few small things like pull you grill inside or some patio furniture, make sure the cars are in the garage (avoid hail damage) and maybe preplace some flashlights in the basement. While the wind speeds and destruction are usually worse in tornados the actual damage area is so much smaller. You also do not have to deal with the wide area of infastructure damage after the event. You watch the weather channel and if tornado gets close you head to the basement and sit it out. It over in minutes and you go about your day. Not waiting hours and hours hoping you power, water, trees do not go down. If you are in an impact area you can drive 10 minutes and be back to "civilization"

Get ready down there boys and girls and stay safe. For some reason this guy in the Midwest(take it for what it is worth) thinks this might be a bad one
Everybody I run into is super tense. You can see the nervousness on their faces.
I'm on edge. It's the uncertainty of it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.