Best large style Bowie knife? - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 03-29-2020, 11:13 PM

Advertise Here

Nordic knives has Randells in stock all the time, for good prices. They used to be in Solvang Ca for 40+ years and have moved to Idaho. Great source for all things sharp
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Comcamguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRanull View Post
The Buck 120 is a good carry knife, maybe a little large for an edc in some places.. owned and used one for @40 years.. cut up deer and lord knows what else over the years. It was good hard steel and took a good edge, easy to get very small chips in the edge if hacking hard bones etc (ask me how I learned that!). Mine was the 440C Buck used back in the day and the Paul Bos tempering was EXCELLENT! That knife could take some abuse and I more or less bet my butt on it a couple times. SADLY it somehow flew the coop and disappeared from my desk, a mystery unsolved these last 4 years... I did replace it with a modern 120 as I felt naked without it... also got a couple 119's to throw in trunk and carry on my duty-belt.. still good steel even without the much-prized Paul Bos tempering. Some people "down" Bucks these days but for the money they are an excellent buy. (Truth in Opinionising, my carries these days have been Cold Steel, particularly in bowie-size blades).
I have one and I really like it but I think the steel in mine is cheaper. Itís very light.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:15 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I now own 6 of those Cold Steel Survivalist knives. I'm glad I bought them at $60. Now they're limited in supply and prices going up and shipping delays. Last I looked Midway was still $60, but Amazon $80 with shipping delays of weeks.

When I see gear I like I scoop up extras. This is maybe the best knife in my inventory of similar size. I'd pick it over my Kbars, Gerbers, Shrades and Beckers in a heartbeat. Going in all my kit bags. Excellent knife.
Iím looking at the Cold Steel 81B Wild West Bowie, any thoughts on this one?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,121 Times in 6,541 Posts

just looked at the cold steel website the plant/warehouse is shut down till further notice. they are not shipping do to the stay at home order.

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/k...orner.html?p=2
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 38,573 Times in 8,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
just looked at the cold steel website the plant/warehouse is shut down till further notice. they are not shipping do to the stay at home order.

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/k...orner.html?p=2
Yup, and has been very predictable for weeks and I even mentioned this real issue a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
If you're even considering one made overseas, or even domestically, you'd better order soon.

I've already had 1 Cold Steel put on back order, and another Cold Steel go out of stock for future purchases and on back order.

And shipping is being delayed at many locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I’m looking at the Cold Steel 81B Wild West Bowie, any thoughts on this one?
Guy, you've been kicking this around for 25 days. It's not a house purchase. It's a sub-$100 knife. You've been recommended dozen(s) of good options and YT is filled with knife reviews.

Buy one, b/c every day you wait for the foreseeable future inventory will be depleted and not replenished and your options limited and prices likely to increase. I've seen dozens of products on my watch lists go OOS with no refill dates.

Sorta like when you're out dining with someone and they take 20 minutes debating on the menu - It's not your last meal.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,121 Times in 6,541 Posts

leadcouncel is correct "out of stock"

https://www.coldsteel.com/wild-west-bowie.html
Old 04-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Prepared

One could do worse than a TrailMaster and a Master Hunter from Cold Steel.
Im looking for a Recon Scout to fill both roles. That's just me after being a knife freak all these years.
The Following User Says Thank You to DunRanull For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 03:57 PM

Zombietools.net has a blade called the felon. Pricey but nice. Wishlist
The Following User Says Thank You to BillWilly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 07:04 PM

The felon is half the price of a Randell, so you could get two. I have some of their stuff and it is built twice as tough as it looks
The Following User Says Thank You to Comcamguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I’m looking at the Cold Steel 81B Wild West Bowie, any thoughts on this one?
1090 is a decent enough carbon steel, but, it is soft so resharpening will be easy . . . and needed often. Not all 1090 is equal though so I have no idea on the source they use in India (where the knife is made) nor anything about the heat treat which is just as important. But if it floats your boat it should take a lot of abuse (Cold Steel knives usually do). That said at a pound and a half it is going to be a monster on your belt.

I know you are going for a style of knife and that is cool, but, if you were just looking for a big chopper, at this weight and blade length I would just get an ESEE Junglas in 1095. Rowan, they manufacture ESEE knives, has the heat treat dialed in on 1095 and I know from personal experience the Junglas can take a LOT of crap and still maintain a decent edge.
Old Today, 01:48 AM
VIP Member

For me, the best Bowie for the money, an' then some, is Ka-Bar's BK9, by master bladesmith, Ethan Becker... I won't bore you with how many way's it reaches toward "perfect." Suffice it ta say, it meets all of my blade needs, if I can have but one blade...

Fair Winds n' Followin' Seas,

One&Done
Old Today, 08:35 AM
Μολών Λaβέ