Have new knife professionally sharpened or not? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 03-20-2020, 06:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,225 Posts

Advertise Here

What The Flock are you asking me for?

indoorsy guy sharpens kitchen knives: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluHMoKJ6CrS0kcybhaThg

outdoorsy guy sharpens outdoorsy knives: http://www.youtube.com/user/Weiderfan/channels

srart with equipment:
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Prepared

Depending on the condition of the blade, I MIGHT. There is a guy in R Lil Towne who does a good job sharpening professionally, and again, depending on the condition of the edge (Like the Indian kukris which arrive with NO EDGE), I might instead of screwing around with a file. OTOH I HAVE used a file and stone from scratch on an edgeless blade so there's that. A lot of time involved.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:47 PM
Target Shooter

I can not imagine paying someone to sharpen a knife. The survivalist/hillbilly in me won't rely on someone else to maintain a tool as critical as a knife. The edge on a knife is a personal thing I know how I want my knives sharpen and if I do it myself I know it will be the way I want it
The Following User Says Thank You to plumberroy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 03:12 PM

A reason for me to have someone sharpen it this one time is I should have the blade somewhat reprofiled. The sharp part is very short.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:42 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 58,580 Times in 19,989 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
I received my Glock knife today. The blade is dull in an area and not extremely sharp in other areas. Should I have it professionally sharpened (I think about $5) or learn how to sharpen it myself?

I currently have nothing to sharpen it with, so I would need to buy a stone or something else to sharpen it.

It has the saw on the back. The miniature tips are pointy. I don't know if it should be sharpened as well.

You should learn how to sharpen your own tools. If you're out in the woods and your knife gets dull there won't be a "pro" to resharpen it for you. Plus ... it really isn't very hard to do if you have a good, quality sharpening and a leather belt.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
A reason for me to have someone sharpen it this one time is I should have the blade somewhat reprofiled. The sharp part is very short.
I still go back to I want it done my way. I would start with a diamond sharpener to get it close go to a medium stone to get it to the angle, finish on an Arkansas stone then strop on leather . Right is more important to me than fast.