Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-21-2020, 03:36 PM

Default DIY Connecting a generator to a large propane tank

Advertise Here

I have scoured this forum and learned a lot of good info on this topic but my situation is a little different than others so here we go. I purchased a duel fuel champion 9375/7500 running watt generator. I'm looking to hook it up to my above ground 500 propane tank. I've been researching this all day and to my understanding the generator needs a steady 14" WC at 1/2 psi to run effectively. People have asked this question on the champion website and they reply:

"The generator can be attached a larger propane tank, but we do not provide the necessary plumbing. The generator requires PSI with a flow rate of 152,000 BTU/hr. when under maximum load. The connection on the front panel is a male 3/8 JIC fitting. If you provide this info along with the info for your propane tank to the local propane supplier, they should be able to get you a proper hose kit to attach the generator to your larger tank."

I'm confident I can do this myself with the proper knowledge and tools, parts etc. The propane tank sits dormant. It was used for stove and a direct vent heater I installed myself in my old trailer. I've since then bought a newer trailer thats all electric so the LP hasn't been used for awhile now. The way it used to be setup is they had a 3/8" three foot hose coming off of the regulator on top of the tank with JIC fittings (the bendy yellow hose) tieing into a 1" line that hooked into the metal gas lines on the old trailer with a simple shut off valve at the trailer. That's the only regulator there was. The regulator is still hooked into the tank on top of the tank. The fitting in the end of it that tied into the yellow hose reads 1/2psi max but i'm unable to read the max btu flow as the sticker is wore off.

So traditionally there is a high pressure regulator coming off the tank ~100psi in 10psi out
Then medium pressure regulator going 10psi in and 1/2 psi out
Then regulators on the appliances. Correct me if I'm wrong here

From what I can tell my setup didnt have a high press at the tank but a medium pressure reg coming straight off the tank and into the house plumbing.

So correct me if I'm wrong I should just be able to connect directly to the regulator on the tank and run a hose say... 5 to 10 feet from the tank to the generator directly and not use the hose that came with the generator. Or do I need to install a low pressure reg coming off the regulator on the tank measuring at 14" WC at 1/2psi then run hose that came with it to my generator?? I also read in places these generators depend on tank pressure of the 20lb tanks which is 20-50 I believe then they regulate and govern themselves according to load etc..

If anyone can help me out here It would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting stressed here after researching all day and still not 100% in my conclusions.

The regulator on the tank is a LV4403, i believe it should be 5 or 10psi, but the fitting on the end reads 1/2psi max which makes me believe its a medium pressure regulator.. Seeing as how it ran directly into the old houses plumbing with no other regulator in between..

Sorry for the long read but want to provide as much info as possible. All feedback is appreciated. Thank you
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2020, 03:38 PM

Old 03-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 03:41 PM

Old 03-21-2020, 06:02 PM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,946 Times in 2,900 Posts

I have the same genny but I hooked mine up to 100lb tanks plumbed in series. My first generator took a dump at 6 hours and will not run. I have since picked up a second hoping that the first one was just faulty
Old 03-23-2020, 10:48 AM

how did you hook it up?? I hooked it up to my regulator on top of the tank with the hose that came with the gen but it doesn't run, acts like it is flooding out.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:35 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 77,092 Times in 22,600 Posts

Another method is to buy the snorkle kit from US Carburetor.

https://www.motorsnorkel.com/motor-s...-kit-4390.html
Old 03-23-2020, 08:57 PM

Awesome, I'll check it out and thanks for the reply. I just had a local company make me a hose that connects from the gen straight to the regulator on my 500 bulk tank, picked up a nipple and shut off valve at home depot omw out of town and works great. Feels good to know I can use that extra 500 in case of an emergency instead of it just sitting there and not being able to hook into it lol
The Following User Says Thank You to TReames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,377 Times in 780 Posts

So 14”WC is about 1/2 psi, no need to say 14” WC at 1/2 psi, that’s like saying 12” at 1 ft.

The photo showing 1/2 psi looked like a excess flow valve, it won’t set the pressure.

Check the regulator, if you cant google the model number, use a manometer- take a clear hose about 4’ long, it can be pushed against a male flare fitting or install a hose barb. Take the hose and form a U 24” deep below the regular with the end Just below the level of the regulator. Add water to the tube, with food coloring if desired so it’s about 12” deep ( still 12” below the regulator.). Turn n the gas. If the regulator is 1/2”, the water column with be 14-15” lower on the tank side, it the water sprays out of the hose, it’s more than 1 psi.

This method is far more accurate then you think, and can read to 0.01” with a good stand and magnifying glass, even to 0.001” with a micrometer and lab grade setup.

Above 1 psi, you should be able to use a cheap gauge or bycycle tire gauge ( mountain bike/ fat tire style). I use one from snap on that has 1/4 psi increments, but I’ve bought them at a bike shop n a pinch.

Obviously, don’t smoke, or do around running engines, electrical eq, etc. Turn off the valve it any gas flows.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,163 Times in 590 Posts

Gonna hazard a guess and say you need a different regulator. You should be able to use the same hose kit and regulator that is meant for the generator.. then just adapt it to fit your big tank.