Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,378 Posts

Advertise Here

I have two of them welded together end to end with a 21 inch wide strip cut out from end to end on one side. I lay it on its side over a trench dug in the ground. I fill th barrels with used oil and light a small fire in the trench. I put fence posts in the oil and heat it to about 280 degrees. Once bubbles stop coming from the post I let it cool compleatly and the cooling post sucks in the oil causing it to become somewhat more rot resistant.

I made a lid from two halfs of another barrel with the top and bottom removed.

Heep in mind the fire has to be well contained and small. You need the oil temp above 212 but easy below the point it will burn.

If you aren't careful the process can become extreamly dangerous in the blink of the eye.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,115 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
So tempting...

Have to turn them into DRMO for their recycle contract/bidder? Not worth loosing job for.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 43,585 Times in 12,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Have to turn them into DRMO for their recycle contract/bidder? Not worth loosing job for.

No, these are considered scrap metal. There is a civilian company that comes and picks up the dumpster when we tell them itís full. If I want any I just tell the boss, make sure all the info is off/painted over so people donít think Iím taking full drums of stuff home, and thatís that. I have no way to carry them until I get a truck so itís all irrelevant anyway.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:07 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 38,574 Times in 8,952 Posts

Filled with sand, excellent barriers for training or real use. Anti-ballistic, or anti-vehicle.

I've seen rioters cut them in half for makeshift riot style shields. Would be excellent to deflect thrown rocks or bottles, even spears or arrows.

Seems you could also cut one in half and sand down the edges and add strap handles for a makeshift litter for wounded people.

The flattened steel is a great idea, even if for storm shutters for a house if you pre-drilled so you could hang them quickly to protect windows. Or if you went thru a period concerned about looters, you could screw flat panels over your windows, leaving small holes to see out.

Lots of other great ideas here.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post: