Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-08-2020, 07:40 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,394 Times in 463 Posts
Default Century Arms AK47

Advertise Here

Anybody own a Century Arms AK47? FIL has one and I have shot it a few times at the range and it seems to be a solid well made firearm which is manufactured in the US. Very accurate, at least at the ranges I was shooting (20 TO 50 Yards). He said he paid around 800.00 new in the box. One could buy almost two bare bone AR's for that price.
So my question to the group is what are the cons for this weapon aside from price.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2020, 07:58 PM

I think that’s one of the better brands if memory serves. Cons are not as accurate as an AR and 223 is starting to get cheaper now than 7.62x39, especially steel case. While the AK sound like a baby rattle, their looser tolerances make them almost jam proof and that .30 cal round packs more of a punch. But you asked for cons, so accuracy (perhaps negligible) ammo cost, accessory limitations compared to the AR are what come to mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roy Texas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Hunter, Photographer

Theres a difference between Century imported and Century produced. Their imports have always been good to go. The Ras47 and C39(and v2) have had reliability issues due to the way certain parts are manufactured (trunion and bolts shattering). Their imports are another story and are generally good to go. Made in USA sounds good, but as far as AKs go, the only one doing it right in the states right now is PSA with the newer gen 2 and 3 models. (Built from parts kits is another story).
In that range I would look more into newer production models of the Wasr-10, M+M and Zpaps. Or for a bit more Arsenals are tried and true. Personally, my SLR107 was money well spent, even though I could build a couple budget ARs for what I gave for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red31 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 10:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 35,446 Times in 8,337 Posts

There is another thread on here talking about Century. I would be shocked if their QC has picked up. The last Century guns I looked at, which was several years ago, were crap. Sloppily assembled imported parts kits. Overpriced.

If that has changed for the better I am glad to hear it.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:57 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Texas View Post
I think that’s one of the better brands if memory serves. Cons are not as accurate as an AR and 223 is starting to get cheaper now than 7.62x39, especially steel case. While the AK sound like a baby rattle, their looser tolerances make them almost jam proof and that .30 cal round packs more of a punch. But you asked for cons, so accuracy (perhaps negligible) ammo cost, accessory limitations compared to the AR are what come to mind.
I think he's asking about this specific brand of AK's vs other brands, not so much as AK's vs. AR's in general. Maybe someone should start a separate thread about that?
Old 03-09-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
One could buy almost two bare bone AR's for that price
That is why I brought up the AR piece of the discussion.