Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 AM
Prepared

Thanked 1,088 Times in 236 Posts
Default Questions about mold

Advertise Here

Found some mold on a corner wall and baseboard, and along the window sill, of a bedroom, a total of maybe five or six sq ft. I am a mold newbie. I have chronic lung disease and spend a lot of time in that room so this is not good.

I sprayed all the moldy areas with Vital Oxide (stabilized chlorine dioxide). I'm getting ready to clean the room with a Tyvek suit, gloves, goggles, P100 respirator, and TSP (I don't care about the paint, that room needs to be repainted anyway).

I didn't see mold anywhere else in the room but I'll do a full inspection before I start cleaning. It's usually pretty dry where we live. I think there's mold in that room only because we use a humidifier in there. We didn't find any mold in the rest of the house. The single HVAC vent for that room was sealed off from the rest of the house years ago, thank goodness.

I haven't been able to find much information about what to do after the visible mold is cleaned up and the trash removed. Should I paint over those spots with Kilz? And the visible mold will be gone but what do I do about the invisible mold that will still be in the rest of the room?

After cleaning, I plan on fogging the room and everything in it with Vital Oxide but that would only kill any remaining invisible spores, not remove them. They'd still be in the room, causing health problems.

How do I remove the invisible dead mold spores? Bedding and clothes I can bag and launder. I have a HEPA vacuum cleaner, do I just vacuum everything after the Vital Oxide dries?

Also, there was a 3" memory foam mattress topper right underneath the window with the mold on the sill. The topper is encased in a cover that blocks allergens down to 2 microns but I've seen various accounts of the size of mold microns, 3 to 10 microns being the smallest. Can I leave the encasement on the topper and fog it with the Vital Oxide, then vacuum it, or do I have to throw out the topper? (There's no mattress in that room, just the topper.)

Or am I just going crazy? I may be going a little crazy. The last thing I need right now is anything else that'll increase lung inflammation!
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2020, 08:10 AM
Museum Piece

heat the room, dry it out. The bed is most likely contaminated.
We have so much here, my bud had to move to So Cal, now he is moving to AZ
Cronic lung mold :-(
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 08:17 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 19,356 Times in 4,142 Posts

Given where you found the mold, I would look at a potential water leak behind the wall. Perhaps a leak around the window. The only times I've ever found mold on a wall, or near a window, is when there was a water leak. A humidifier is probably not enough unless you have it set extraordinarily high.

Check the caulking on the outside of the window, and check for potential leaks in the siding or roof near the mold.

If you do not cut off the source, the mold will keep coming back.

If you have not seen mold on the mattress topper, a good vacuuming with the HEPA filter vac, plus a light spray with an anti-mold spray (I've used Lysol) should aleviate any concerns. If you are hyper-sensitive to mold, throw it out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2020, 08:37 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 17,681 Times in 5,388 Posts

Get a wood stove.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 08:40 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
Given where you found the mold, I would look at a potential water leak behind the wall. Perhaps a leak around the window. The only times I've ever found mold on a wall, or near a window, is when there was a water leak. A humidifier is probably not enough unless you have it set extraordinarily high.
We'll check for those. The humidifier is a big one and it's usually set around 70%.... I'm a like a Chinese water dragon. I guess I won't be setting it that high any more.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:08 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 19,356 Times in 4,142 Posts

My dad once had a problem with mold and moisture forming on one wall, but only in the winter. We went into the attic and found ice on everything. The ice was periodically melting and dripping down inside the wall.

Adding proper ventilation to the attic fixed the problem.

If you have the humidifier set very high, you might want to check the attic, especially if you have an older home.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 12:36 PM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,880 Posts

Get one of those heat guns from home depot or harbor freight and use it to superheat the drywall area to kill the spores. Then cover with Kilz before painting,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 01:13 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Get one of those heat guns from home depot or harbor freight and use it to superheat the drywall area to kill the spores.
Would a hair dryer on high do the same thing? They can get pretty hot.

How would I decontaminate the dryer after using it right at the mold site?
Old 03-02-2020, 06:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,819 Times in 2,906 Posts

I would pull off some drywall and figure out where the water is coming from. This is the time of year when improper insulation installation would be showing up. There needs to be a vapor barrier on the inside of the wall between the drywall and the insulation. Otherwise moisture from your living area will penetrate the wall and insulation and condense and freeze when it gets to the cold side of the insulation. As the weather warms the water melts and you have a problem.

There needs to be a plastic or waterproof paper layer between insulation and drywall
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 08:29 AM
Gatorbait

Everyone here has covered it all. A few years ago when I lived on the coast, we had to have all of our exterior walls and roof replaced due to mold. They also had to replace a lot of the drywall. You could see almost no mold inside the house. I just had a hunch and called a few guys to check it out. It is no joke at all. Please DON'T wait and please DO have a professional check it out. Luckily I was renting that house so I didn't have to pay for most of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 08:39 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
Would a hair dryer on high do the same thing? They can get pretty hot.

How would I decontaminate the dryer after using it right at the mold site?
I have tried to use a common hair dryer as a heat gun. It stopped working and I had to replace the protective device. Don't use a hair dryer.

An industrial heat gun is designed to run much hotter for an extended period of time. I don't see any need to decontaminate it other than clean off the filter on the inlet .

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,032 Times in 421 Posts

Mold happens... In Germany, mold will grow behind pictures, headboards, furniture etc.
Without Central Heat/Air, there just isn't enough circulation. We had to open windows/doors for about 10-15 minutes a day to move the air around. Also we had to check behind everything about once a month just to make sure there weren't any black gobs growing back there.
The Following User Says Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Prepared

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I learned some more about that room. The corner with the mold is where two external walls meet and they're just paint over concrete brick, there's no drywall (you can see the brick even under several layers of paint). There are no water pipes in any of the walls of that room.

So I guess I can just scrub off the mold with TSP, fog the rest of the room and its contents with chlorine dioxide, then vacuum the room and contents with a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner.

Still haven't decided whether that mattress topper is usable or not. We just dumped a load of money this morning at Costco and I don't know when I could afford to buy another one of those toppers. It's tough for me to sleep without one. Hm.