Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harrison Ford -- Ricekila General Discussion 70 03-08-2015 04:31 PM
Fort Harrison Montana trailmaster General Discussion 14 11-28-2014 09:02 AM
William Henry Harrison Dollar Robot Financial Forum 18 12-20-2013 03:00 PM
Come see us in Harrison, AR June 15-16 AandB Discount Mylar Bags 0 06-05-2012 01:03 PM
Harrison AR, June 15-16 Food Storage Gathering AandB Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 06-04-2012 04:36 PM
Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars says... BigfootDL Financial Forum 7 09-04-2011 06:59 AM
I'd like to introduce you guys to Craig Harrison snayl General Discussion 13 05-03-2010 11:27 PM
Harrison and Richardson 20. gauge Jerry Firearms General Discussion 9 11-24-2007 05:18 PM

Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Lurker

Default Fort Harrison Montana

Advertise Here

Just wondering if anyone could tell me a little about this location. In particular around the VA there. I was possibly looking to relocate near there and take a job with the VA. I was just curious about the cost of living, home sites, and just general things like that. I don't want to live in town and would prefer a place with some land with it. I don't mind about an hour drive to and from work. Any info would be great.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trailmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2014, 11:14 AM
No Tinfoil

Helena is our state capitol and while it's not the best city in Montana, it does provide just about everything you need - shopping, culture, lots to do. Homes aren't too crazy expensive up there and either is property. There's good hunting and fishing and access to public lands. Helena has an airport (a luxury in Montana as many people have to drive hours to the nearest airport) and also a ski hill. Bozeman is about 1.5 hours away and Missoula is about 2, Butte is about 45 minutes although I hate Butte (lol). Cost of living is fairly inexpensive compared to Bozeman and Missoula (the two most popular cities for wealthy vacationers who buy million dollar hunting/ski lodges).

I haven't been to the VA up there because I don't have any service-related disabilities, but I haven't heard anything negative about it. I know a lot of the MT National Guard and Reserve training goes on up there so it's a fairly active post. I pass through that area on the way to my cabin and sometimes I am buzzed by Blackhawks... takes me back!

Judging from your avatar picture, I think you'll feel at home in Montana.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MGMonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Lurker

Actually my avatar pic was taken in Yellowstone. I love the idea of living there, but now that I'm older I also know the reality. I know it gets bitter cold and although I love cold weather it would be a tough thing to deal with. My main concern would be moving that far and hauling all my junk. I also don't know what areas are a good place to live. Lots of details to iron out before I committed to relocating. That's why I was trying to find some first hand information from guys who live there. I would have no problem finding a job and I think that's an issue for most people. I've looked online, but it's hard to tell much about the places that way. Thanks for your input!
The Following User Says Thank You to trailmaster For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 05:06 PM
No Tinfoil

I go from Bozeman through Helena and hit highway 12 to hit Avon and head north to my cabin. The winters aren't too bad in Helena/Avon because there's not a lot of wind. The horror stories you hear about Montana winters are on the Eastern and Northern prairie (where I grew up) that has the extreme windchill. If you can tolerate about 20*F, you'll be fine. A lot of people who work at Harrison (if not most) live in Helena. If you want property, I would check out around the Avon area. It will provide the best commute + open land for the location you're considering. Check out land prices along Highway 12. Being comfortable with an hour commute gives you a lot of opportunities (most Montanans complain about a 15 minute commute!).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MGMonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Lurker

Sounds good, I can handle the cold temps, just not as good as I use to. I wouldn't know what to do if it only took 15 minutes to drive to work!
The Following User Says Thank You to trailmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaster View Post
Actually my avatar pic was taken in Yellowstone. I love the idea of living there, but now that I'm older I also know the reality. I know it gets bitter cold and although I love cold weather it would be a tough thing to deal with. My main concern would be moving that far and hauling all my junk. I also don't know what areas are a good place to live. Lots of details to iron out before I committed to relocating. That's why I was trying to find some first hand information from guys who live there. I would have no problem finding a job and I think that's an issue for most people. I've looked online, but it's hard to tell much about the places that way. Thanks for your input!
came from pa and it is colder there than here and a lot more snow there i have only been here since 2011 it is beautiful and mostly kind and friendly people the politics are low i do live about 15 miles from helena and it is a nice short commute to work with very low traffic compared to most cities around the east coast good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to paindian For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 AM

You will have a bit of a ride if you are working at the fort, but only about 20 miles. There is land for sale in the Winston area. It is mostly open land with little cover. Wind blows a lot through there, because it is in the center of the valley. There may still be land for sale a bit closer with a bit of forest. It is a nice area and people are friendly. It's the capitol, so you get many different personality's. Overall, I think you will enjoy it. Oh yeah, about 40 miles from the fort is Townsend. Make sure not to live in town there! They are a different breed, but the land is beautiful and there is the wildlife management area as well as canyon ferry. Canyon ferry is good fishing for walleye and trout. The Missouri runs right into it. And the funding around that area is really good. Lots of opportunity for bird hunting as well. I hope that helps your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to slippery666jesus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 05:51 PM
Lurker

Wow, I had actually forgot I posted this. Fast forward a few years and I haven't moved but I will be working there again. I was there September- December 2019 and am headed back next week. I will be there through at least mid-May. I have loved it so far. The only problem I've ran into is Montana is big and it's hard to find places to hike/explore when you don't know where to go.