Battlbox subscription? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Supporter/VIP subscription DawnT Site Information & Suggestion Box 10 05-06-2017 03:08 PM
Gear and Subscription Services: Why Not a Knife Subscription? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-22-2017 10:00 PM

Old 09-30-2018, 09:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,050 Times in 717 Posts
Default Battlbox subscription?

Advertise Here

Has anyone had a subscription to Battlbox? Is it complete crap or is there some good stuff in there?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,999 Times in 7,435 Posts

I was wondering the same thing
Old 09-30-2018, 11:29 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,153 Posts

I didn't do battle box, but I did the crate club one for my kid who was home on leave last Christmas. It had good stuff in it, but for the price, you could easily buy each item in the box for a LOT less. Then if there's something in it you really don't want you're kind of stuck with it, sure you can trade/sell it or just store it, maybe throw it away. I've generally heard the same about battle box & the other ones like crate club, tack pack, etc.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Battlebox has a lot of good stuff in them and at prices you probably can't beat honestly.

Sootch00 has some reviews on his sensibleprepper youtube about each box if you're interested in the details.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Trapper

Battlbox is probably the best subscription service going. It is going down hill though. They are now including a lot of their own branded gear. They are head and shoulders above any of the other "survival/prepper" subscriptions. I received some great gear from them when I had a subscription to them. They really like to send you a ton of emails though.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,050 Times in 717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
Battlbox is probably the best subscription service going. It is going down hill though. They are now including a lot of their own branded gear. They are head and shoulders above any of the other "survival/prepper" subscriptions. I received some great gear from them when I had a subscription to them. They really like to send you a ton of emails though.
Which level did you subscribe to? It seems like the top two most expensive are the only ones worth getting.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
Which level did you subscribe to? It seems like the top two most expensive are the only ones worth getting.
I agree with you. I did the highest level. I love knife collecting. The second to top is $50 cheaper. It is the best deal if you don't care to get random knives. Although you still get knives at that level from time to time.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:30 AM

We tried Battlbox for a while there, and it was okay if you’re heavily into knives, etc. But honestly, we ended up liking Cairn Box much better. We do a lot of outdoor adventuring (camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, etc.) and tend to find that the items we get in Cairn are not only so perfect for that, but much more conducive to our prepping style. For example, some of the items we've gotten were ponchos and balaclavas, polarized sunglasses, filtration water bottles, solar lighting, fire starters, a tree hammock, reflective fabric tape, bug spray, outdoor cooking utensils, protein bars, a backpack, etc. One of the best little items we got that we use often is a pocket bellows for fire making — a must when using wet firewood. We love everything inside each box. They have a larger/more expensive box called Obsidian that includes much higher end products like heavy duty pack packs, coolers, and jackets. We don’t subscribe to that one... just too expensive for us. But for the price of a regular Cairn box, we think it’s fantastic. Not to mention fun!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,612 Times in 6,923 Posts

The problem with these subscription boxes is you generally get many items you don't need or really want with maybe one or two things you might need or want. Also, generally you are not going to really get your moneys worth. They base the box "value" base on MSRP prices (and then sell the boxes at what seems like a big discount, it's really no discount) and I can guarantee that you could probably shop Amazon for the contents of ANY of these subscription boxes and do MUCH better than what you paid for the box.

Additionally, if you watch some youtube videos, you can see exactly what comes inside most of these subscription boxes. Use that information to determine what you would actually want and need, then you are not paying for items you don't really want or need.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by escherm View Post
Battlebox has a lot of good stuff in them and at prices you probably can't beat honestly.

Sootch00 has some reviews on his sensibleprepper youtube about each box if you're interested in the details.
You DEFINITELY can beat the prices especially when you consider all the items you get that you don't want or need.
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
You DEFINITELY can beat the prices especially when you consider all the items you get that you don't want or need.
While thatís true, the main reason we love our Cairn subscription is because we discover items we never knew existed, or thought to even buy. Like the pocket expandable bellows I mentioned, or some of th cool solar lights. Even the protein bars and food they include. One of the Mountain House items that was in our box was something I never knew was available. It gives us the opportunity to try out brands that neither of us ever heard of. They always include coupons for all of their brands, so if we want to buy more (as in the food) or other products from those brands, we can do so at a discount. Itís the discovery, more so than the value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michigal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigal View Post
While thatís true, the main reason we love our Cairn subscription is because we discover items we never knew existed, or thought to even buy. Like the pocket expandable bellows I mentioned, or some of th cool solar lights. Even the protein bars and food they include. One of the Mountain House items that was in our box was something I never knew was available. It gives us the opportunity to try out brands that neither of us ever heard of. They always include coupons for all of their brands, so if we want to buy more (as in the food) or other products from those brands, we can do so at a discount. Itís the discovery, more so than the value.
That's why you just watch other waste their money on youtube first to give you ideas of what you want or need and don't have to waste your own money to find out. At least that's what I do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
That's why you just watch other waste their money on youtube first to give you ideas of what you want or need and don't have to waste your own money to find out. At least that's what I do.
Great in theory, but I honestly don’t have the time to sit and watch You Tube videos. I barely have the time to get on here (and am only here today because our power is out due to high winds and recent storms, and I’m snuggling on the sofa for a bit with a touch of a head cold.).

Time is money, too.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Additionally, if you watch some youtube videos, you can see exactly what comes inside most of these subscription boxes. Use that information to determine what you would actually want and need, then you are not paying for items you don't really want or need.
I recently discovered battlbox and I couldn't agree with you more.
Why would I subscribe to get random items? That way I end up with duplicates of stuff I already have more often than not. I'm also not a knife collector and certainly don't need a new mid to high end knife every month.
When I first started researching them I noticed the pro-plus (top) level was just a different knife. I called it "the knife of the month club" derogatorily. After watching their videos, the guy was actually calling pro-plus "the knife of the month club seriously. I'll take a pass and make my own purchases based on my needs.

I am working my way through their "mission" videos to see if there are any interesting items out there that I wasn't aware of. I've found a few things and will be making purchases of those items without paying for all the extra stuff I don't want or need.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMOD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 05:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,142 Times in 949 Posts

It's a scam. You get a couple of decent items at a higher price than you can generally get them for at Amazon, and a bunch of crap you don't need.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Yeah, I didn't even know about it, but apparently the owner or CEO or founder, or some such is based in my hometown. One day a fancy film crew out of California shows up and wants to use our training facility to shoot a battlebox video.
I didn't know what they were talking about. I thought it was that show battle bots where the robots fight each other.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMOD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,925 Times in 13,134 Posts

the general sense i get from most sub boxes is that you end up with a bunch of junk of marginal utility. and the reality is that the people who make the stuff are making money and then the sub box bundler is making a cut too....it's probably one of the worse ways to buy gear. if you do a sub box, you're doing it for the "christmas morning" mechanic of it, and there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Target Shooter

There is probably nothing in it that I want or need. Buy the stuff you need and forget the subscription junk.
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieRob For This Useful Post: