Two Bits Garden Adventures - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2018-2019 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1293 Today 11:33 AM
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 150 10-16-2018 08:56 PM
Starter Raised Bed Garden cajun tugster Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 26 10-23-2017 06:08 AM
NectarNook's 2017 Garden, zone 5a NectarNook Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 03-20-2017 06:33 AM
Mountain Valley Canned Garden Seeds (16 Varieties) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-24-2017 08:45 AM

Old 02-21-2016, 03:20 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,818 Times in 2,807 Posts

Advertise Here

Moved a few new sprouts to the green house yesterday, baby broccoli plants. It was a warm 75 degrees. Garden still too wet to till today, so I am cleaning out my compost bins and cleaning up the rabbit manures. How many wheel barrels of compost are in a 4 x 4 compost bin?

No, my compost isn't all fluffed up and broken down like arm chair gardeners tell you it should be. And my rabbit manure goes directly into the garden, spread before tilling, or as a side dressing for plants.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 05:45 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,608 Times in 1,916 Posts

Wish I had an onsite manure factory. LOL! I used to crawl under the pasture fence to retrieve cow patties from that guy's cows but he sold them.

I do have access to buckets of chicken manure from the lady I buy eggs from. Not much but it's better than nothing.

Don't worry about pretty compost... it's "texture"!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 05:43 PM
patriarch

Ok, 13 wheel barrels later. One compost bin empty. Whew, finally.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 PM
patriarch

I actually rototilled my daughters garden this evening. The new motor on the Troy-Bilt ran beautifully. That was after I disconnected the oil level sensor. These Honda clones won't run unleveled.
Big winter storm headed my way. Lots of rain w/snow. Tornadoes in the south as I write. So everybody, be safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 PM
patriarch

I planted Calabrese & De Cicco broccoli. They are about 1" tall. I planted Copenhagen, Flat Dutch, & Golden Acre cabbage , and they beginning to sprout. I planted cauliflower seeds this evening along with more broccoli. I just couldn't wait. If you have a favorite, tell me about it.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,059 Times in 3,449 Posts

Looking good!
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 17,627 Times in 6,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
I'm serious!

Same here. It just get warm earlier and I was able to clean up what the intense summer heat convinced me to abandon last year. I had berry vines I had to mow down arounf some trees that I'd planted.

It feels good to get moving towards a good garden this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2016, 05:56 AM

Enjoying your progress. I have Black from Tula, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter tomatoes sprouted. I tried to save some pepper seeds from last year (the guy that gave them to me did not know their name, but they were GREAT) and have those in pots....we'll see if they germinate. I'll put some cherry-type tomatoes in pots on the front. Put in some apple trees yesterday, and have some thornless blackberries I saved from a lady thinning hers last year, ready to go. Asparagus crowns ordered....will be my first attempt with those.

I used that Jiffy Mix as well. Haven't found anything better. I start mine in re-used yogurt cups!!

There will be more, just waiting on warmer weather!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twicebitten For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM
patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twicebitten View Post
Enjoying your progress. I have Black from Tula, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter tomatoes sprouted. I tried to save some pepper seeds from last year (the guy that gave them to me did not know their name, but they were GREAT) and have those in pots....we'll see if they germinate. I'll put some cherry-type tomatoes in pots on the front. Put in some apple trees yesterday, and have some thornless blackberries I saved from a lady thinning hers last year, ready to go. Asparagus crowns ordered....will be my first attempt with those.

I used that Jiffy Mix as well. Haven't found anything better. I start mine in re-used yogurt cups!!

There will be more, just waiting on warmer weather!!
Sounds great. I'm all into saving seeds. I go to the Asian Market and purchase single vegetables for seed. Saving & starting seeds is one of my passions. I usually grow 6-8 different tomatoes, but this year I need to tone it down some. I plan to just grow our favorites, Amana Orange and Brandywine. I have Black Krim, but wasn't impressed with the tomato overall. I also grow lots of cabbage. Normally large types, with extended growth periods, but this year I plan to grow smaller, short term cabbage. Its usually a toss who gets the cabbage, the worms or me. I will start my tomato & pepper plants any day now. I am waiting for the night temperatures to stay above freezing.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:24 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 17,627 Times in 6,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
Moved a few new sprouts to the green house yesterday, baby broccoli plants. It was a warm 75 degrees. Garden still too wet to till today, so I am cleaning out my compost bins and cleaning up the rabbit manures. How many wheel barrels of compost are in a 4 x 4 compost bin?

No, my compost isn't all fluffed up and broken down like arm chair gardeners tell you it should be. And my rabbit manure goes directly into the garden, spread before tilling, or as a side dressing for plants.
That is some mighty fine looking soil. I'm envious.

It's so hot and dry here that trying to make compost fails. I can soak a pile with a water hose and it's gone within an hour. Then the chickens get in and scatter the pile and I guess it composts around the barn instead of in the garden.

I could use several semi trailers of compost with the poor clay that I have.
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2016, 04:48 PM
patriarch

February 28, 2016. Spent most of the day tilling my gardens. Tried to clean out my second compost bin, but I was too tired to finish. Its 69 and windy, soil is just right to till. Garden #1 is in my back yard, garden #2 & #3 are neighbors. Southern Indiana has some great weather. Lots of complaints, but as the saying goes, "if you don't like it, stick around, it will change!" I have never watered my garden. I water the young plants when planting them, but no other time. This is early to till, but if you check your soil daily, a window of opportunity will present itself. Then, get-er-done. An early tilling will eliminate perennial weeds and grasses. These gardens should have been tilled in the fall, but didn't get done. Its really too early to plant much, peas & lettuce. Also, new gardeners often mention about tilling new ground or sod, just remember that these gardens were beautiful lawns a few years ago. No sprays, no plastic, nor mulch.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:13 AM
gardener & news junkie

Lookin' good! That's nice soil you've got there with all the manure, etc additions you've added. Spring's coming... I can hear it.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,447 Times in 744 Posts

I'm jealous!! Not that time of year here yet , I'm ready for spring!!
The Following User Says Thank You to uphillbothways For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2016, 10:35 AM
patriarch

My garlic this year. Normally, I plant about 75 cloves. I only planted about 1/2 as many last fall. This is only my second year with this variety. I started out with a dozen cloves last year. Got my cloves from a member on the board.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:16 PM
patriarch

I think I'm almost done planting seeds, (starting plants indoors,) for this year. Over 300 plants if they all grow. Broccoli, cauliflower, head lettuce, tomatoes, & peppers. I purchased a bag of Burpee's seed starting mix this evening at the tractor store. I like it! When planting seeds, I drop the seed directly on top of the media. Then I sprinkle media on top of the seed to depth recommended by instructions. Its the best way I have figured out how to get the best depth suggested by package. My seed trays are then slid into a plastic bag & closed up until germination is complete. I have to admit that I planted more varieties of tomatoes than I originally planned. Sorry, couldn't help it.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:20 PM
patriarch

It is suppose to drop to 27 degrees tonight. I have a 150w light bulb burning in the green house. Hope if it suffice? The other morning, I seen ice in one of my plant trays. Oooooh! I have 150 cool weather plants in there, they seemed to be ok days latter.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:53 PM
gardener & news junkie

Keeping fingers crossed for your wee plants.

It's interesting how we all have different ways of doing stuff. When I start my seeds I like to use a pencil eraser to make a 1/4" hole that most of mine need. It's the perfect depth. LOL!

Thanks for the report on the Burpee seed starting mix. I got a bag of Fafard mix the other day but haven't used it yet.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:56 PM
patriarch

Starting seeds is so much fun. You don't have to spend oodles of money. Its a fairly simple process. A little seed starting media, some homemade containers, and your off to a good start. I've been gardening for years, experimenting with jiffy pellets, peat pots, newspaper pots, sterilized soil, rabbit manure and a regiment of products. Nothing gives me more joy than to see plants raised in the cheapest method. Its not all about the Jones's.
I can explain my method, but pictures speak a thousand words.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:02 PM
patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
Keeping fingers crossed for your wee plants.

It's interesting how we all have different ways of doing stuff. When I start my seeds I like to use a pencil eraser to make a 1/4" hole that most of mine need. It's the perfect depth. LOL!

Thanks for the report on the Burpee seed starting mix. I got a bag of Fafard mix the other day but haven't used it yet.
I tried the eraser method, but I had a hard time getting the seeds in the hole. Then, do you fill the hole or add media to fill the hole? I actually used the permanent maker to make a 1/2 inch hole, but then filled over with media. I always plant/raise too many plants. I give them away to family, friends, co-workers, and then to anybody who wants to raise vegetables. Good luck with your plants.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:42 AM
patriarch

My greenhouse, in reality, isn't a greenhouse. It has no heating or insulation qualities. But, what would you call it? When the sun goes down or its overcast, the temperature drops. Slowly, but eventually equalizes with outside temps. A cold frame uses the heated soil to keep temperature at a tolerated level.
#1 reason I don't move warm vegetable starts to the greenhouse until night temperatures stay above acceptable levels.
I could fill black buckets with water and that heat source would suffice until the sun rises the next morning?