Securing BOL when not there - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Securing a store SOLWULO Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 48 01-17-2016 12:27 AM
Securing property biscayne565 General Discussion 22 08-01-2015 01:02 PM
Securing my home StuckInNJ Urban Survival 30 10-19-2014 01:48 PM
Securing ammo Greta Firearms General Discussion 29 05-15-2014 09:35 PM
Loyalty and securing a neighborhood KCFirepower Urban Survival 53 12-25-2012 10:35 AM
Securing a Drawer adamquadd DIY - Do It Yourself 4 02-29-2012 11:25 PM
Securing Your Vacant B.O.L. txflyer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 02-15-2012 07:20 PM
securing your ground Stringer6 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 08-17-2011 09:31 PM
Securing Our BOL MC Ain't Crazy DIY - Do It Yourself 23 02-13-2011 12:26 PM
Securing your home wevie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 12-11-2009 11:19 AM

Old 01-16-2016, 04:14 PM
End of the Roader

Advertise Here

Imho, you should already know your neighbors. Next time you're there, find out which one likes to hunt, and make a deal with them, giving them exclusive hunting rights. If you do, odds are those people will be the best guardians, keeping the interlopers away.

Other than that, you 'own' nothing (in the real world) on your property, until you move there... accept that fact, and you'll be good. Don't place anything on the property that you're not willing to lose. Trust me, the locals know you're an absentee owner, and will know when you're there, and when you're not. Once you move full time, establish your 'territory', things will change.... helps if you've made friends/allies out of the locals, instead of just being that 'guy' from the big city...

Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to texican For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 04:18 PM
I love this forum

The impossibility of this is why I dont bother to own land, much less have a building. It can be burned to the ground, of be full of enemies when you arrive. So bury your stuff and have a concealed, very small dugout shelter. Doing things thusly means you can be set up anywhere. it has to be done (and accessed/used) at night anyway, so who will ever know, eh? put it on fed, state, or mining/paper/lumber/utility land and there's nothing to worry about, if you go at it intelligently, and it's very cheap, accessible, close to you
Old 01-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,271 Times in 18,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trant View Post
The impossibility of this is why I dont bother to own land, much less have a building. It can be burned to the ground, of be full of enemies when you arrive. So bury your stuff and have a concealed, very small dugout shelter. Doing things thusly means you can be set up anywhere. it has to be done (and accessed/used) at night anyway, so who will ever know, eh? put it on fed, state, or mining/paper/lumber/utility land and there's nothing to worry about, if you go at it intelligently, and it's very cheap, accessible, close to you

And when you live in your van the rent ' s cheap too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Omnes homines resurgere

Thanked 1,732 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trant View Post
...put it on fed, state, or mining/paper/lumber/utility land and there's nothing to worry about, if you go at it intelligently, and it's very cheap, accessible, close to you
I'd suggest you think on this some more. Anything placed on public land is more or less forfeit if it is located. If something is placed on land owned by a company causes even more potential headaches. I see your point, but at the very least you have legal recourse and possible insurance if something is taken from your own property.

In some things, using public land in this way cannot be helped. Caches are a good example. But there is a difference between a cache and a dug out shelter.

IMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPhoenix13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Prepared

I bought a BOL in Brown County, SE Ohio in 2009. It is 136 acres landlocked at the end of a 1.4 mile dead end road. There are gates to other farms but each is about 1/2 mile cross country to my fence with no worn trail leading to them. Which means only a few people know where they are.

I made sure I got there at least every two weeks to keep the grass mowed and make the place look liked it was occupied. I also met the people who lived just down the road who watched every vehicle that came down the road. I let them fish in my pond and ride horses & ATVs on my roads and trails so they can watch over the buildings. One raises grouse & pheasants which I let him release and hunt on my land. He & a cousin also trap on my place in the winter. They do a good job watching who drives past them towards my place which is 1/2 mile past them on a gravel/dirt section of the road. I'm not very happy when the township grades the road or cuts the brush which makes the road look like something might be down it other than farm fields.

I also had construction crews on the place for about a year tearing down the old tobacco barn and replacing it with a large pole barn for storage and prep rooms. They also gutted the house and rebuilt it along with an addition. The crew I hired was from 60 miles away and lived in the house or a camping trailer for four days a week for much of the time they worked to save the cost of driving home every day.

Once the barn was done I had a 2,000 pound safe moved into the arms room and bolted to the floor. This safe was used in a jewelry shop and has a four hour fire rating. It doesn't hold that many guns but it will keep someone occupied for quite a while. All doors are steel with good locks. The building has OSB on both the outside and inside which makes it harder to cut through.

The house is made of logs with geothermal heat so there is no outside units for a scrapper to quickly get. All the windows have blackout shades which I always close when I leave. I have three 90 pound dogs who watch over the house when I and out for a day.

I will be putting in five acres of food plants for the grouse which will help my neighbor. I also let coon and rabbit hunter train their dogs on my place which helps show activity around the place.

I retired and now live at the farm five days a week and spend two days a week at my old house which is set up like the farm but on eight acres. So far I have not had a problem at either place.

My bottom line is make sure your property is defendable and not visible to joe blow driving down the road. Make friends with your neighbors and help them out so they will help you out when you need it. If you cut yourself off from them they will have no problem ripping you off or allowing some one else to take what they want.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swede4198 For This Useful Post: