Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anybody gone this route? M16A1 DIY - Do It Yourself 10 04-24-2015 11:24 PM
How to route traffic through vpn snowmonkey The Tech Zone 9 02-08-2015 04:36 AM
Barter route Halkon Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 06-23-2012 08:28 AM
Step by step... how scientists analyse TEOTWAWKI A-Team Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 07-08-2011 07:54 PM
Woodland route to your BOL? Tryptamine Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 03-07-2010 03:51 PM
Check bug out route.. haha49 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 11-04-2008 06:57 PM
Bug Out Route Dias Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 09-28-2008 03:04 PM

Old 08-17-2015, 12:48 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
My thought, is that a BOL that close is only 1 hour further away from getting over run, than he is now.
i live in a city now, BOL is off the beaten path, in the woods and full of a community dedicated to the same goals. In the immortal words of my dad, "that's what ya get for thinking" lol
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk65 View Post
Just guessing, but from the sound of it, your BOL must be a family or friends house. You sound short on cash (like most of us), so I don't expect you own a place, while living in an apartment a dozen miles away.

If this is the case, I would become a news junkie, and leave before trouble starts. MOST problems have a few days notice to the well informed, if not, at least a few hours. In that time, no has panicked yet, and you can show up for a "visit"...

I agree about not needing that much ammo for the route distance, and that your gear and personnel are just too heavy and vulnerable for anything other than a car/SUV. That said, you need to get to safety BEFORE the general population is aware things are going to be really bad, and chaos ensues.

I would not trespass, period. Bad idea in Texas, or anywhere else for that matter, in a SHTF scenario.

With a pregnant or nursing wife, and a small child, you are highly vulnerable. Your best bet really is be the first one out of the danger zone.
Well said. You've practically spilled my plan to everyone. I'm only talking about 100% worst case evac plans here. fast and light weight is the goal of that plan.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
I'm still on page 1 so maybe this has been answered, but my first question was why aren't you living at the BOL if it's <10 miles away? From both financial and security perspectives, apartments are some of the worst places to live IMHO.

Also, your medkit needs some work. At the very least you should take some liquid diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and loperamide (Imodium). A bad allergic reaction can kill someone in your group before you make the BOL, and that's going to be a very rough and long journey if someone is sick with diarrhea. I'd also consider moleskin a requirement if you're hiking the whole way on foot.
the baby's allergies are unknown, but in the case of my wife, our 6 year old and I, we have no allergies. If someone has any kind of diarrhea, they can take meds before we leave, as we keep it stocked, plus, some sort of anti-diarrhea will already be in the baby's bag. In fact it is now, and he's not even born yet. We're both avid fans of walking over driving so a 9 mile hike will not be a problem for us. My oldest and his mom walks 10 miles to and from school everyday because she does not have a car. though this is in the city, he will likely do fine on gravel and black clay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indawire View Post
Take a look at a used bicycle baby carrier, the 2 wheel kind you tow behind the bike. They roll easy on bicycle wheels, carry a reasonable amount of weight and fold down flat for storage. I got one free at the dump or tag sale cheap. Just pull it behind you loaded up.
excellent idea, I absolutely will look into it. i could also build one, i have materials to do so for the most part, and what I don't have, I can source pretty easily.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
Set up in 4 layers,
1. what you need to survive, is on your person. Flight suit works good for this.
2. what you need in your basic waist pack to get to your stash or BOL,
3 what would be nice to have pack, but contents is used or tossed because you can not carry 60 / 100 lbs. of weight.
4. INCH bag, I am Never Coming Home Bag. Very heavy. You might want to find a use deer cart 350# to 500# capacity . Loaded right it will balance the load and not pull down on you. Mine is strapped to my pack belt. Remember the back pack load is carried on your hips not your shoulders. Use a good padded waist belt. Anyway ,set up like that your arms are free to carry a weapon, staff, light, ect.

Do some camping and look at lite weight camping blogs to see what is out there. Ounces turn to pounds pretty quick.

Best Regards, RangerRick
my total BOB contents so far are only about 45 pounds split between two people, and that includes the weight of the newborn coming. There is no INCH bag. what I listed other than a few small keepsakes is all we will take even if we know the house will be leveled seconds after we leave. neither of us really cares for material goods, and as i've said the BOL is stocked very very well.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishimo View Post
Have you tried your on foot bug out? Try it solo first. Learn every obstacle, barking dog and look for ambush sites. Try humping that pack and see what becomes important. After a few trial runs try it with the family.
we have both humped it more than once to wife's family's house, but not totally loaded. I've made the trip with about 30 pounds before but that did not include a rifle on the shoulder though Ft. Benning made me no stranger to that.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braven View Post
I would take cloth diapers and something for diaper rash.
those are already in the baby's bag but yes I should have included it in the list. Thank you for pointing it out.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaunloc View Post
Don't forget to carry all the NFA paperwork showing you have paid the tax and gotten approval for your Class III Short Barrel Shotgun.
its a 16.5, but thanks for contributing nothing to the discussion. If I missed the humor in your post, then I'm an idiot. If there was none, you're the worst kind of person.

EDIT it is 18 inches from the nut forward. i just measured it.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 AM

Sorry I've spammed so much. As I said I broke down last night on said route, and then today I had to make a 5 hour trip to help a friend move, where I broke down again, in a different car. Me thinks someone upstrairs is mad at me for something.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 AM
Target Shooter

Default Break it down in steps

What you have. (things to take that are not already packed)
What you have READY to take.
What you will need during movement.
What you will need upon arrival.
What you would need if you DON"T make it there.
What you need at BOL that is not there now that you should carry.

Identification/important documents: Birth certs, SS cards, Dlic, Passports(digitized medical records) double ziplock baggy them.
EDC
BOB/INCH: you can find good backpacks at goodwill/surplus stores.
Cache enroute(does not have to be big) extra water, power bars, baby formula, tarp, emergency blanket, lighter/matches.
Cache near the BOL(well hidden not line of sight)
Caffeine pills(for you) and ready mix coolaid for instant energy bump.

Break your travel down by mode: walk, bike, auto, Primary route, alternate, supplemental.
Have identified as much as possible "secure" locations for rest/security halts along all routes. Travel through a marsh or swamp is NOT recommended as it will exhaust you and once you reach your BOL your security concerns are NOT over. Having a "hide" or place to make a security halt IN a marsh is recommended as nobody wants to look for you in a swamp. IDENTIFY flash flood areas along those creeks. Do not plan on making a fire your routes are too populated someone will see it.

Get rid of the tarp, get 3 GI issue ponchos as rain gear. One for you, one for your girl and one to rig a poncho shelter.
Get rid of the can food. powerbars, powerbars, powerbars. Have EXTRA formula it is light, ziplock baggy sandwich size bags incase one busts get wet etc. The stress of this will dry up your girls milk. (Believe me/ or ask nurse amy)
I would not carry so much water. That is almost 20lbs of water alone. Are the streams you talk about crossing running all year long? I would carry no more than 4 qts. 2 on you/2 on your girl(carry a water filter)
Carry a decent handgun it WILL be faster to employ when needed than a slung long gun. You will need your hands free to help wife and baby. Leave long gun at BOL !AND! CACHE a long gun at a secure position NEAR your BOL in a secure area so you can make a security halt where your wife can wait while you ensure your BOL is still secure with the additional firepower.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:19 AM

Default Think outside the box

I am in the middle of a military convoy right now so I haven't had time to view your photos. I will at a later date.

However, do not rule out utilizing the major roads immediately. Depending on shtf scenario major roads may still be useful. Many times when traffic on major highways is gridlocked in your direction of travel, the opposite side is unused (people rarely drive into the problem area), people are conditioned Not to drive into oncoming traffic so they stay gridlocked. If it's truely shtf Use The Other Side! Also sidewalks Can be driven on. Of course you want to do this as safely as possible. Don't be surprised that many start to follow your lead.

I will view your routes when possible and get back to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Keenan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbanger View Post
What you have. (things to take that are not already packed)
What you have READY to take.
What you will need during movement.
What you will need upon arrival.
What you would need if you DON"T make it there.
What you need at BOL that is not there now that you should carry.

Identification/important documents: Birth certs, SS cards, Dlic, Passports(digitized medical records) double ziplock baggy them.
EDC
BOB/INCH: you can find good backpacks at goodwill/surplus stores.
Cache enroute(does not have to be big) extra water, power bars, baby formula, tarp, emergency blanket, lighter/matches.
Cache near the BOL(well hidden not line of sight)
Caffeine pills(for you) and ready mix coolaid for instant energy bump.

Break your travel down by mode: walk, bike, auto, Primary route, alternate, supplemental.
Have identified as much as possible "secure" locations for rest/security halts along all routes. Travel through a marsh or swamp is NOT recommended as it will exhaust you and once you reach your BOL your security concerns are NOT over. Having a "hide" or place to make a security halt IN a marsh is recommended as nobody wants to look for you in a swamp. IDENTIFY flash flood areas along those creeks. Do not plan on making a fire your routes are too populated someone will see it.

Get rid of the tarp, get 3 GI issue ponchos as rain gear. One for you, one for your girl and one to rig a poncho shelter.
Get rid of the can food. powerbars, powerbars, powerbars. Have EXTRA formula it is light, ziplock baggy sandwich size bags incase one busts get wet etc. The stress of this will dry up your girls milk. (Believe me/ or ask nurse amy)
I would not carry so much water. That is almost 20lbs of water alone. Are the streams you talk about crossing running all year long? I would carry no more than 4 qts. 2 on you/2 on your girl(carry a water filter)
Carry a decent handgun it WILL be faster to employ when needed than a slung long gun. You will need your hands free to help wife and baby. Leave long gun at BOL !AND! CACHE a long gun at a secure position NEAR your BOL in a secure area so you can make a security halt where your wife can wait while you ensure your BOL is still secure with the additional firepower.
A cache en route will not be possible. Though my last resort route is very unpopulated, there are too many variables. I know the road used to flood in several places but since, newer, taller, better bridges have been built, so i don't know. BOL already has a large cache of long guns, and I've got no financial means to get a decent handgun for the forseeable future. Yes, it is 20lbs worth of water, but that will be split between two, maybe three people. I don't know if there is water in the creeks all year or not, but it is the height of summer, and there is still water, it hasn't rained in a few months now.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Keenan View Post
I am in the middle of a military convoy right now so I haven't had time to view your photos. I will at a later date.

However, do not rule out utilizing the major roads immediately. Depending on shtf scenario major roads may still be useful. Many times when traffic on major highways is gridlocked in your direction of travel, the opposite side is unused (people rarely drive into the problem area), people are conditioned Not to drive into oncoming traffic so they stay gridlocked. If it's truely shtf Use The Other Side! Also sidewalks Can be driven on. Of course you want to do this as safely as possible. Don't be surprised that many start to follow your lead.

I will view your routes when possible and get back to you.
Plan A is to take the primary major road to get to BOL. it is a longer distance (only by 3 miles) but it is smoother and less destructive to BOV/family riding in it, at least for a few miles. You raise good points. I will post a better map showing primary, secondary and last resort routes and problems i can anticipate with each under multiple situations. I've got a job interview in 2 hours so I need to go. Wish me luck will ya'll? and thank you for the advice. I'm soaking it all up like a sponge.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Libertarian Berzerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjo View Post
Look for a double baby jogger. You can attach rifle and shotgun scabbards to the sides carry your kids and some gear that isn't in your pack. your 9 mile trek will be much easier this way even if off road.
I second this. Baby joggers are better bug out vehicles than bicycles, if you are going to carry that much stuff. In my 3 gun club, we have a running challenge to see who can build the cheapest gun buggy. So far, mine is the cheapest, at $27. Got the baby jogger for ten bucks, salvaged the gun racks for free, and spent $17 on paint. Now I look like Mad Max. I can carry several rifles, a shotgun, a pistol, and enough gear for an all-day shoot. I have instant access without having anything strapped to my person.

That being said, I'd give some serious thought about what kind of scenerios an assault rifle would keep you safer in. If it's TEOTWAWKI and I see somebody pushing a baby stroller through my rural property, I'd walk out and offer them some baby formula. But if I see somebody carrying an SKS, I'm likely to shoot first and ask questions later. I'm not suggesting it is inappropriate in every scenerio, I'm just saying you need to think about first impressions. A Glock under your shirt would be a better choice in most scenerios. I'd consider pre-stashing the SKS and 200 rounds at your BOL.

Great thread, btw. I think you'll do fine, but everybody can benefit by tweaking their plan occasionally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saxon Warlord For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkitchens View Post
the baby's allergies are unknown, but in the case of my wife, our 6 year old and I, we have no allergies. If someone has any kind of diarrhea, they can take meds before we leave, as we keep it stocked, plus, some sort of anti-diarrhea will already be in the baby's bag. In fact it is now, and he's not even born yet. We're both avid fans of walking over driving so a 9 mile hike will not be a problem for us. My oldest and his mom walks 10 miles to and from school everyday because she does not have a car. though this is in the city, he will likely do fine on gravel and black clay.
Sounds like this is not an "analyse my bug out route and bag" thread, and is a "just confirm I've already thought of everything, otherwise be quiet" thread.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to gravedgr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 05:37 AM
Target Shooter

Default handgun, rather have and not need than need and not have

I have seen Walther 9mm recently NIB for 230$(CDNN Sports) I realize you are on a tight budget, baby on the way and your priority's are currently elsewhere. There are a lot of ways to put away a little extra cash.
Save $
DO you drink, smoke, or dip.... quit and save enough to get it. Your health will thank you, you will feel better, you will be more self reliant in a SHTF as you will not NEED these items or be in nicotine withdraw during a crisis.
Don't eat out, pack your own lunch

Make $
Donate plasma
Get second part time job, I am retired, up until recently was working 3 jobs and at a butcher shop on the weekends.
Collect recyclables, aluminum cans etc. (For example: I got a job hanging flyers on peoples doors for a pizza place back when there were Marlboro points, walking the roads anyway I would collect cans I would pick up the Marlboro boxes and get the points to get stuff, redeem the points then ebay the Marlboro bags, grill kits, keychains, even saved enough to get a 12V icebox etc(I didn't smoke).
Check Craigs list, someone need a handy man, help moving, help cleaning, can you paint a house??? There is always someone looking for something.
The Following User Says Thank You to rtbanger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,284 Times in 603 Posts

What ever you decide, take the time to try out your plan. We did a little exercise we called Reality Check Weekend. The group was invited to a part of the ranch none had ever been to before. We gave GPS coordinates to a gate on a highway(these folks had to drive between 18 and 45 miles to get to that point ) and a time. they were let into the gate and we went back into the ranch a few miles. They had been told they were to prepare as if they were bugging out to a fallback position we have previously arranged.
However , this gate was Not that location, we simulated problems that kept them from driving to the rally point, when all were inside ranch at the location we had given them, we were there waiting on them, and the fun began.
No more vehicles due to roadblocks and roving gangs on the main route we would need to get to a spot on foot, and they had NO idea how far that would be.
Needless to say ,all those well thought out BOBs and gear became a Real problem , the trail we took them on ( LOL, actually only a tad over a mile was through some tough country ) looked like a retreating army had moved through , that well thought out gear left behind because in real life and with the stress of having to watch for armed bad guys , things got really heavy.We spent Fri night,Sat, and broke camp Sunday at noon, ran it like a real situation, people on watch etc.and a cold camp as to not give away our position since gangs were supposed to be in the area. Anyway We all learned a lot that weekend and it changed folks outlook on how they were going to do things, the real deal won't be a nice campout in a park with facilities and warm food .
The Following User Says Thank You to jnr0104 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Old Gezzer

Thanked 3,981 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Sounds like this is not an "analyse my bug out route and bag" thread, and is a "just confirm I've already thought of everything, otherwise be quiet" thread.

Good luck.
Yep! The OP's mind was already pretty much made up of what he was planning on doing in a SHTF/Bug Out scenario before started this thread. I never have understood why some people come running to these forums asking for advice/input and then tell everyone they don't want to hear what they have to say.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,743 Times in 8,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
Have you considered dirt bikes? They'll go places no car can go, give you enough speed to cut the time you are exposed to a minimum and make you a harder target to hit. (They are a curse on some of the steeper hiking trails out here.) You might also try to find other like minded people to accompany you on the way. Larger group would be more intimidating to a would be attacker.

Maybe go at night? Nobody is going to be watching foot trails at 3 in the am.
One thing was mentioned here once was at night wear eye protection. So you don't walk into a stick and blind yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Warlord View Post
I second this. Baby joggers are better bug out vehicles than bicycles, if you are going to carry that much stuff. In my 3 gun club, we have a running challenge to see who can build the cheapest gun buggy. So far, mine is the cheapest, at $27. Got the baby jogger for ten bucks, salvaged the gun racks for free, and spent $17 on paint. Now I look like Mad Max. I can carry several rifles, a shotgun, a pistol, and enough gear for an all-day shoot. I have instant access without having anything strapped to my person.

That being said, I'd give some serious thought about what kind of scenerios an assault rifle would keep you safer in. If it's TEOTWAWKI and I see somebody pushing a baby stroller through my rural property, I'd walk out and offer them some baby formula. But if I see somebody carrying an SKS, I'm likely to shoot first and ask questions later. I'm not suggesting it is inappropriate in every scenerio, I'm just saying you need to think about first impressions. A Glock under your shirt would be a better choice in most scenerios. I'd consider pre-stashing the SKS and 200 rounds at your BOL.

Great thread, btw. I think you'll do fine, but everybody can benefit by tweaking their plan occasionally.
I will never own a Glock. Period. But, i don't disagree with your point, but I don't have, nor will I have the money for quite a while to purchase a handgun, and I've never been a fan of handguns, so my inexperience with them makes it even less of a good option. Yeah, I can put rounds on paper with handloads in a 357 at 50 yards but that's about the extent of it. I know my rifles and i'm good with all of them. and I actually own them, whereas I do not own a pistol. I suppose its possible i could trade the shotgun for a .22 pistol if I was lucky, but that would prob. be the only rifle i could let go of.

Responding out of order, I do have a good stroller, but it's not one of the 3 wheeled strollers that have bike wheels. I do have a "racing wheelchair" though as well, it's lightweight aluminium very well balanced and might be adaptable for such uses. What do you think? Any ideas come to mind?