Compost bin at Lowes - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Utilitech gear at Lowes PSYOP Soldier Reviews and questions 5 12-14-2014 09:26 PM
Surprised to see this available at Lowes.... Sig226 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 12-12-2012 09:32 PM
went to lowes today sniperfx General Discussion 78 03-23-2012 03:38 AM
Lowes has snare wire? stairman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 14 02-06-2012 07:59 PM
Lowes Home Depot AFF Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 11-14-2011 03:54 AM
Spend $100 at Lowes TurboNerd Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 04-26-2010 04:50 PM
Solar Panels now available @ Lowes NYKRINDFW Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 01-05-2010 12:13 PM
Compost bin plans - Making a compost bin tankman1989 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 19 12-14-2009 07:38 AM
LED Mag-lites 1/2 price at Lowes..... MIL-DOT Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-29-2009 07:37 PM
cheep hatchet at Lowes? CPL_BS_88 Knives, Swords & Axes 15 06-18-2009 04:39 PM

Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,260 Times in 7,842 Posts
Default Compost bin at Lowes

Advertise Here

I was at the local Lowes center, and while in the garden section I saw this compost bin. Its about 4 feet tall and about 4 foot square. It has a 1 foot square at the bottom to get the compost out of.

Has anyone tried one of those bins? Does it sound like it would do a good job of composting kitchen waste?

Opinion, thoughts ideas?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 PM

i saw them too and was wondering about them.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Homebody

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Kev, I bought one for this year. It was easy to put together and looks like it will do the job. I will say that it is not super duty construction. I accidentally leaned on it and popped the corner already. Easily fixed. I'll update how its doing as I get more kitchen waste into it, but I'm happy with it so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Super Fun Guy

You just have to keep it warm and moist inside-ie outdoor temperature and add water, but not too much, if necessary for a dry climate. It should have an open bottom so the compost sits on the ground so the little worms can get to it. If it looks like it would do that then it would be a good one. But you could probably make your own out of 2x4's and plywood for a lot cheaper that would do just as good of a job.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Prepared

a bin that big for kitchen waste? You must be one heck of a cook.

If you need a three by three foot bin to get the pile cooking four is even better. I would rather make one out of scrap though, its way cheaper and if you dont need things to be tidy a simple pile on the ground works and its free.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Not Totally Clueless

Sam's has them also for about $48.00 here - seems to be a good deal - my friend just bought 1 last week and I will let you know how they like it - so far all their kitchen scraps and a bunch of leaves along with some peat to help get some dirt in it have gone in - opened it Sunday and you could feel the heat so it must be working
Old 04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,260 Times in 7,842 Posts
Default compost bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
a bin that big for kitchen waste? You must be one heck of a cook.
Maybe you miss the point of the compost bin? You throw your kitchen waste in the bin and let it slowly fill up. It might take months, to get full. And then get get the by-product out of the bottom window.

I'am thinking about buying one and putting it up at the camp. That way I have a source of fertilizer up there.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,439 Times in 4,655 Posts

I saw those also ... This thread makes me think I might need one now. I was planning on building a bin but it might be good to start smaller and not get in over my head.

I do have one question though. I am feeding horses at a stable and therefore have access to more manure than any city person should have a right to. Can I bring home a bucket or two of manure and add it to my compost??

That is kind of why I was thinking bigger might be better. Not so much for this summer but in the fall and especially next spring!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,746 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
I saw those also ... This thread makes me think I might need one now. I was planning on building a bin but it might be good to start smaller and not get in over my head.

I do have one question though. I am feeding horses at a stable and therefore have access to more manure than any city person should have a right to. Can I bring home a bucket or two of manure and add it to my compost??

That is kind of why I was thinking bigger might be better. Not so much for this summer but in the fall and especially next spring!
Manure is pretty hot and will make most compost piles sing with joy! I use it to break down wood chips even. It works great with yard wastes. But you do need to add some "browns" to it. Shredded tree prunings are a good source. You can usually get as much wood chips as you want for free from the landfill.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

We have a regular wastebasket in the kitchen for food scraps and coffee grounds, etc..alot of food scraps and egg shells goes out to the chickens..the goats love banana peelings and fruit...when it gets full, I dump it in the compost pile out back, along with used shavings from the brooders( feedbag at a time), used straw from the chicken coop and goat pens.......the compost is a 8' diameter circle fence, 5' tall.........the thing about food scraps is they rot and draw flies, maggots and roaches...we burn all paper products and have a plastic grocery bag of actual garbage, once a week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM
I love this forum

I have 'traditional' compost piles from the horses, cows, poultry, alpacas and rabbits. This year, in addition to the big piles, I've taken a couple trash cans and cut off the bottom and punched several holes in the sides. I've screened the top and bottom of each can and will make compost in them, and see how well it works.

Can't hurt to try
Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
We have a regular wastebasket in the kitchen for food scraps and coffee grounds, etc..alot of food scraps and egg shells goes out to the chickens..the goats love banana peelings and fruit...when it gets full, I dump it in the compost pile out back, along with used shavings from the brooders( feedbag at a time), used straw from the chicken coop and goat pens.......the compost is a 8' diameter circle fence, 5' tall.........the thing about food scraps is they rot and draw flies, maggots and roaches...we burn all paper products and have a plastic grocery bag of actual garbage, once a week.
Now see this is where I want to get to.

I saw the bin that the OP was referring to but it looked a little high priced for something that you could just build.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,855 Times in 817 Posts

Kev, garden waste is a good candidate for the compost pile as well as kitchen waste, so your purchase won't be wasted. However, that said, worms like to eat all kinds of stuff [even newspaper, I've read] and might be better at converting kitchen scraps and coffee grounds and the like into worm doo, which, unlike chicken doo, won't burn plants.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,384 Posts

My compost heap is just a fenced-off corner of the garden where I throw yard waste, kitchen scraps, egg shells, etc. I water it when I water the garden and hubby turns it with a shovel once every couple weeks. Nothing fancy but it gave us lots of healthy planting material for our pepper plants this year.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
My compost heap is just a fenced-off corner of the garden where I throw yard waste, kitchen scraps, egg shells, etc. I water it when I water the garden and hubby turns it with a shovel once every couple weeks. Nothing fancy but it gave us lots of healthy planting material for our pepper plants this year.
My garden this year is pretty much just getting the beds in place and trying my hand at growing a few things ... If the master plan works out, next year will be very, very productive ... do you need some horse poo??
Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
My garden this year is pretty much just getting the beds in place and trying my hand at growing a few things ... If the master plan works out, next year will be very, very productive ... do you need some horse poo??
Who doesn't? :P
Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM
cynic

Hey Kev,

My wife and I were looking to buy a compost bin but couldn't justify spending a few hundred dollars on those big, mega-aerated, hand-tumbled, super composters.

So she found that same unit you are asking about and picked it up. Had it assembled in just a few minutes and have been using it for about 3 weeks. Only have it half filled but seems to be doing the job. We must be doing something right because it already had a rich, wholesome earthy smell to it. Nothing foul whatsoever. And we have some excellent cool nights here in SC lately - when I opened the bin last night, I saw faint steam rising out of the bin. Nature's magic at work. Our raised beds are going to love this stuff.
In the words of Forrest Gump, "I like it. I like it a lot".

Be well.
The Following User Says Thank You to phjg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 AM
I ain't doing that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Who doesn't? :P
We can talk this weekend ... sorry for the hijack guys! Now back to your regularly scheduled programming ...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Maybe you miss the point of the compost bin? You throw your kitchen waste in the bin and let it slowly fill up. It might take months, to get full. And then get get the by-product out of the bottom window.

I'am thinking about buying one and putting it up at the camp. That way I have a source of fertilizer up there.
Oh Kev I get the point I was just joking with you. At the camp you have lots of space right? The scraps will just decompose on the ground no need to buy something for it. Save the money for better things or better yet do a video on making a bin out of scrap wood.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Prepared

Default stuff shrinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc View Post
I have 'traditional' compost piles from the horses, cows, poultry, alpacas and rabbits. This year, in addition to the big piles, I've taken a couple trash cans and cut off the bottom and punched several holes in the sides. I've screened the top and bottom of each can and will make compost in them, and see how well it works.

Can't hurt to try
My 1st year of composting I did it in a garbage can made out like a ghetto compostumbler. All summer I stuffed it with vegitables, in the fall I added leaves, I stuffed it right back up everytime it would settle down a bit and so the volume I put into is was around the size of two SUVs worth. The following spring I scoop it out and it had turned into only about s five gallon bucket. It really shrinks down so you dont need much space. If you are doing animal manure and want to burn out the seeds and do a thermal reaction to kill germs etc you need 3 quare feet for so. To use a 4X4 or in other words, to make the money spent worth it, you have to have a lot to put in it.