Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Hunter

Default Repairing a garage door opener?

Advertise Here

Anyone have experience working on garage door openers?

I have a Wayne Dalton 3018 opener on an overhead door that has been having issues for a long time. I'm finally tired of it not working. The light comes on and the motor tries to lift the door, but only moves it in 1 inch increments. If I keep hitting the button, I can get the door open.

Once the carrier is all the way back to the motor and it is time to send the door down, it closes the door normally.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me to start looking at?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,504 Times in 5,622 Posts

Does it have up and down sensitivity knobs on it? You may just need to take a small screwdriver and turn the up knob in the + direction a little.

Do you have springs on the sides with pulleys or a coil spring? You may need to replace the springs if they've stretched. Especially if one is stretched more than the other side and causing the door to jam crooked. Or just turn up the power with the up knob a little and let the opener struggle through it. That might wear it out sooner, but it might work in the mean time.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,273 Times in 692 Posts

If you press the button and help it up does it work normaly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 09:56 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
Does it have up and down sensitivity knobs on it? You may just need to take a small screwdriver and turn the up knob in the + direction a little.

Do you have springs on the sides with pulleys or a coil spring? You may need to replace the springs if they've stretched. Especially if one is stretched more than the other side and causing the door to jam crooked. Or just turn up the power with the up knob a little and let the opener struggle through it. That might wear it out sooner, but it might work in the mean time.
I will look closer at this. It worked normally when we bought the house 5 years ago, then something changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
If you press the button and help it up does it work normaly?
Nope. I thought of this as well, but me helping does nothing.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:17 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

If you use the emergency release to disconnect it, how is the manual lifting of the door? Does it bind up at all? If not, it's probably your RPM Sensor.

Here is a good video for you:

Old 09-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
If you use the emergency release to disconnect it, how is the manual lifting of the door? Does it bind up at all? If not, it's probably your RPM Sensor.

Here is a good video for you:

Garage Door Opener not working - Only Travels 6 Inches & Then Reverses & Stops - YouTube
When I release the emergency cord, the door is about as smooth as I would expect. Nothing for me to think there is a binding issue.

I tried different searches for my issues but did not find that video. Very helpful!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:31 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,192 Times in 20,029 Posts

Is there a force overload limit adjustment that stops the door movement when the door force required gets too high?

30 yrs ago I had to adjust mine. there were a couple simple wheels to adjust inside the unit.
might also lubricate the door.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 10:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,446 Times in 1,701 Posts

I have a post from awile ago,same kinda issue.It was the worm gear,parts not available.Everyone likes to save money,but got a Chamberlin for 130$,had a guy replace and do all the work for 125$,it was worth it to me.
Not sure how old yours is,but new ones have to have the safety sensors.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,661 Times in 4,959 Posts

Kind of had the same thing happen with a Genie opener, a couple of weeks after having it professionally installed it would only lift the door a couple of inches and then stop. Found out the motor was defective and since I had paid for professional installation Genie sent someone out to replace it since it was almost brand new. The second one failed a couple of weeks later with the same problem. Found out from my neighbor across the street that a bunch of them in that model apparently had defective motors.

After the second one failed they sent me their professional line series model which I had to install myself, but it was just the head that needed to be replaced since everything else was the same so no big deal, had the neighbor across the street help since he went through the same thing with Genie and had to replace his 3 times as well, they had sent him their professional line model just a couple of weeks prior. We had it replaced in about 30 minutes. Haven't had a problem since replacing it with their professional line series and its been probably over 4 years now.

One thing I will say about Genie is their customer service was very good, they also never asked me to send them the defective unit back nor did they charge me to ship their professional line series to me.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,961 Times in 2,470 Posts

I have replaced 2 complete garage door openers now, both are screw drives (they both replaced older chain drives). 1 garage door had a torsion spring and the other had the 2 coil springs on both of the sides of the door (different houses). Just pay 150.00 bucks and get a new one. It sounds as if your motor is going bad which happens all the time. Make sure you get one that matches your current door (1/2 hp or 1/3 hp, etc). Leave the brackets in place to reuse. You will assemble the screw drive and then attach it to the motor and install on existing brackets. Set the open and close limits, and voila...got yourself another 7-15 years with a brand new motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,564 Posts

Bad or weak springs??
Old 09-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,065 Posts

Does the motor continue to run at full speed for a few seconds or more while the door isn't raising? If so it could be the clutch needs to be tightens up or the belt could be slipping.

Although the openers I am familiar with are for larger truck doors an yours may not have a clutch or belt for all I know.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:27 PM
Target Shooter

I had problems with mine not wanting to go up when I hit the remote but it would work when I used the wall unit. Found out that I needed to unplug the power to the overhead unit and then plug it back in. That reset it and it works fine going up now. I still have a problem with it coming down crooked. It comes down and looks like it is catching on something on one side and then it jerks down some more and sometime stops and goes back up.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,803 Times in 2,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren View Post
Anyone have experience working on garage door openers?

I have a Wayne Dalton 3018 opener on an overhead door that has been having issues for a long time. I'm finally tired of it not working. The light comes on and the motor tries to lift the door, but only moves it in 1 inch increments. If I keep hitting the button, I can get the door open.

Once the carrier is all the way back to the motor and it is time to send the door down, it closes the door normally.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me to start looking at?

Thanks!
Wayne Dalton? Tear it off of the ceiling and get a Chamberlain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 05:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,803 Times in 2,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsclaw 73 View Post
I had problems with mine not wanting to go up when I hit the remote but it would work when I used the wall unit. Found out that I needed to unplug the power to the overhead unit and then plug it back in. That reset it and it works fine going up now. I still have a problem with it coming down crooked. It comes down and looks like it is catching on something on one side and then it jerks down some more and sometime stops and goes back up.
Sounds like you need a torsion spring conversion,get rid of those extension springs.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:54 PM
Hunter

Thanks for all of the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good beer View Post
Wayne Dalton? Tear it off of the ceiling and get a Chamberlain.
I'm beginning to lean this direction. I have poked around the opener a little, but haven't found anything glaring. But, the opener for the other garage bay is a 3/4HP Chamberlain and the button on the wall for the Wayne Dalton is pretty beat up. Rather than futz with the WD, maybe it's time to replace it with a better setup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post: