Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,634 Times in 18,607 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
Yesterday I read an opinion in our local newspaper. Unusual because most republicans write anonymously, that is they seem to have no landline. During our discussion which veered into religion, I asked him if he was a Christian since he believed in Trump and the NRA. He said that he was but didn't think there was evidence outside the Bible that he existed. He said regardless of that he chooses to believe in Jesus/God. Maybe people believe many different things about God because it makes them feel good. This fellow told me a story of a sign he got from God that absolutely proved God's existence, though at first he seemed unsure. I told him that there are many people who have had NDE's which prove to them that their version of God is the correct one. I have read NDE's of Mormons, Christians, Hindus and Muslims and in most cases people have been witnessed to by God
There are lots of opinions but only one truth. Christ says: Seek and ye shall find. No need to muddy the waters with the opinions of the anti-Christ.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,948 Times in 5,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Have you ever pondered that? God refers to himself with male pronouns, but logically He has no actual gender. That verbiage is for our benefit. I think of whatever God turns out to be as more of an entity, an “it”.

The best I can guess is He / it is some inexplicable supernatural energy.
It's curious, isn't it, that the very same people who are willing to give any human the flexibility to identify as anything from male to female to a dragon yell the loudest when Yahweh, the God of the Universe, chooses to identify as male.

When you throw a rock into a pack of coyotes, the one that yelps the loudest is the one you hit.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
If God is eternal, of necessity there is no potency in Him.

The being whose substance has an admixture of potency is liable not to be by as much as it has potency; for that which can be, can not-be. But, God, being everlasting, in His substance cannot not-be. In God, therefore, there is no potency to being.

Though a being that is sometime in potency and sometime in act is in time in potency before being in act, absolutely speaking act is prior to potency. For potency does not raise itself to act; it must be raised to act by something that is in act. Hence, whatever is in some way in potency has something prior to it. But, as is evident from what was said above, God is the first being and the first cause. Hence, He has no admixture of potency in Himself.

Moreover, that which is a necessary being through itself is in no way a possible being, since that which is through itself a necessary being has no cause, whereas, as we have shown above, whatever is a possible being has a cause. But God is through Himself a necessary being. He is, therefore, in no way a possible being, and so no potency is found in His substance.

Again, each thing acts in so far as it is in act. Therefore, what is not wholly act acts, not with the whole of itself, but with part of itself. But what does not act with the whole of itself is not the first agent, since it does not act through its essence but through participation in something. The first agent, therefore, namely, God, has no admixture of potency but is pure act.

Further, just as each thing naturally acts in so far as it is in act, so it is naturally receptive in so far as it is in potency; for motion is the act of that which exists in potency. But God is absolutely impassible and immutable, as is clear from what we have said. He has, therefore, no part of potency—that is, passive potency.

Then, too, we see something in the world that emerges from potency to act. Now, it does not educe itself from potency to act, since that which is in potency, being still in potency, can therefore not act. Some prior being is therefore needed by which it may be brought forth from potency to act. This cannot go on to infinity. We must, therefore, arrive at some being that is only in act and in no wise in potency. This being we call God.

Aquinas, Summa Contra Gentiles
Yeah, let's philosophy about God more without input from the Holy Spirit. Lets try to understand what God is and how ignoring all the signals that the Holy Spirit gave to so many before us (Holy Fathers). Lets see what that bring us (West). Oh wait... more division and more drivel from the human mind (Protestantism). Uh-oh. Not good.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Hey, that's swell. Now engage my point or at least the one I to which responded.
"What is God?" NOBODY KNOWS! And that's precisely the point. The question is unanswerable in the highest degree.
All who try to answer are 100% wrong from the start until the end of their drivel.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,019 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_1978 View Post
"What is God?" NOBODY KNOWS! And that's precisely the point. The question is unanswerable in the highest degree.
All who try to answer are 100% wrong from the start until the end of their drivel.
A wonderful reply, but i am curious, does that include your drivel as well?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:06 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,483 Posts

The ignore feature is awesome
Old 09-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Hunter

Yes, for those who have no faith.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:18 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebjr1967 View Post
A wonderful reply, but i am curious, does that include your drivel as well?
When is about what is God, yes. The only thing sure is NOBODY KNOWS.
The Following User Says Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebjr1967 View Post
Yes, for those who have no faith.
Lol, I think you misunderstood my comment. It was aimed at the drivel producers you referenced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Lol, I think you misunderstood my comment. It was aimed at the drivel producers you referenced.
Yes, it is funny how subjective thinking works.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Prepared

I always consider Gods gender to be male.

I try to imagine his majesty when I think that he created the universe.

First there was nothing but a dark/void/vacuum. Then the with waive of his hand solid matter and energy appeared to form a billion galaxies with a billion each stars with planets orbiting them......one of which earth.

It is hard to imagine that kind of power.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:17 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabt View Post
I always consider Gods gender to be male.

I try to imagine his majesty when I think that he created the universe.

First there was nothing but a dark/void/vacuum. Then the with waive of his hand solid matter and energy appeared to form a billion galaxies with a billion each stars with planets orbiting them......one of which earth.

It is hard to imagine that kind of power.

First there was God.
John 1:1. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.".

The Creation took place in the void He made as a space in Himself because he was everywhere. He still is because He permeates the Creation He made.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Hunter

Quote:
God is spirit, so how does He have a "space" within Himself? Are you Orthodox pantheists?
You are right. It is a "spiritual space" since the entire Creation is coming from His Spirit so it is a form of spiritual material or energy. But since God was everywhere before He created the angels and us, He made "spiritual space" for us to exist. He still is everywhere as in there is no spiritual space that he does not have access to, but He is less visible in ourselves so that we are allowed to have free will.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Cite Scripture and/or Church Fathers to buttress your fuzzy philosophy.
You will need to read more theology books, specifically mystical theology from the theologians of the 20th century to get to where I am coming from. No need for me to start educate you on this. You either are interested or not.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,603 Times in 10,372 Posts

According to Bishop John Shelby Spong, God is "The Ground of All Being."
Old 09-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Hunter

Quote:
What do the theologian monks of Mount Athos have to say on this point that you are trying to pass-off as mystical theology?
Not Mount Athos monks. I am talking of the body of great Orthodox Theologians and some good Catholic Theologians of the 20th century. They have a lot to say, you just need to read and draw your own conclusions.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Who are those "good Catholic Theologians of the 20th century" to whom you refer?
I have a few in my library, but I remember right now this one:

Hans Urs von Balthasar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Urs_von_Balthasar

"In delivering his eulogy, Ratzinger quoting de Lubac, called Balthasar, "perhaps the most cultured man of our time,"
Old 09-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Considering your statement in question ...
It is a "spiritual space" since the entire Creation is coming from His Spirit so it is a form of spiritual material or energy. But since God was everywhere before He created the angels and us, He made "spiritual space" for us to exist. He still is everywhere as in there is no spiritual space that he does not have access to, but He is less visible in ourselves so that we are allowed to have free will.
... what writings of von Balthasar, his culture notwithstanding, have entered the Tradition of the Church that touch on this?
I read them a while ago and I gave you an example of Catholic theologian that leads in mystical approach ("Balthasar described his theology as a "kneeling theology" deeply connected to contemplative prayer"... "Balthasar was very concerned that his writings address spiritual and practical issues. He insisted that his theology never be divorced from the mystical experiences..."). I draw conclusions based on what I read at the time and in conjunction with many other things I read and knew already. If you are interested in modern theology, the mystical side (20th century) please go ahead and read.

I do not feel inclined to make research for you because this is better done in a very personal approach (you and your research on certain subjects that lead you as per the Holly Spirit in you). Take my statements as they are and do research if you find them interesting. No problem with that. Mystical theology is also a field touched by personal perception so although some things are clear for me, it might not be clear for you even after you read certain things that I read because our bibliography or experiences are not similar.

As per my statement above, think of this: God is everywhere or else He will not be God. But while He created us He had to remove Himself from our free Will. In fact He is God so He is there as well but in a muted form, one that we do not feel His presence there. However, if our Will will become identical with the Divine Will we will feel His resonance in us and feel Eternal bliss as the Saints are feeling even while still in this life. So when I say he made "spiritual space" for us or the Creation it means He is less visible in the Creation than outside of it. "The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork." Psalm 19:1 It does not say you can see the face of God in them, but that they testify of Him. However He is in there always but chooses not to show Himself.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,159 Times in 5,696 Posts

In my life since the day I received Jesus Christ into my heart as Lord and Savior I realized God's presents every where .not as atoms that make up things but as the power that holds atoms together regardless of what man has done.
I have known God's intervention through out my life in ways that defy science and social engineering.
I have watched people be healed right before my eyes, and provided for me through so many disconnected events and people not a part of my life what so ever. God answers my prayer and I seek after His direction daily because I know He knows the future and what ever He has planned for me is mutually advantageous.
For a finite being trying to define some one infinite does not make sense .
Man does not share equality in existence to make such assumptions.
Man barely understands the spiritual and most are in denial.
People study scriptures like there is a way to manipulate God.
Satan who is infinitely older and smarter than you tried and failed miserably.
Wanting to know God is done His way, repenting of rebellion, giving Jesus Lordship in your life and asking Him to make introduction for the Holy Spirit in your life.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place. the new testament is man's doing.
Noble but circumventing the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the honest believer.
Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.
Righteousness is not academics or the approval of men but the approval of God.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Hunter

Quote:
It is your statement that von Balthasar somehow supports your view that:
It is a "spiritual space" since the entire Creation is coming from His Spirit so it is a form of spiritual material or energy. But since God was everywhere before He created the angels and us, He made "spiritual space" for us to exist. He still is everywhere as in there is no spiritual space that he does not have access to, but He is less visible in ourselves so that we are allowed to have free will.
I simply wish you to direct me to his writing that has entered the Tradition of the Church that supports your statement.
As I said before, this is a conclusion based on many readings not a passage somewhere. If you are interested in Mystical theology I already gave you a starting point from a Catholic point of view. I also gave you a follow up on the conclusion in post 43. Take it or leave it be.

""Before I formed you in the womb I knew you..." God creates us but He knows us since before He forms us. Once He forms us He does not disappear from us, but we do not see Him. He made "spiritual space" for us.