Old 09-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,932 Times in 3,554 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2
Default Off Grid Power Question.

Advertise Here

I'm looking at an off-grid home listing in New Hampshire. It has a 4200 watt solar system, well and septic. My question is if that system will provide enough power to live a normal life without relying on a back-up generator. Not sure about sun strength there and solar in general. The appliances appear to be natural gas, so my biggest concern is the well. It's far off the road so I'm also curious if my tractor would be able to plow a dirt road somehow. Probably a stupid question, but I'm in Florida and we don't get snow.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,601 Times in 8,741 Posts

Depends on the location. Panels on the North side of a hill don't do much. Trees shading the panels part of the day really hurts. Older battery banks can be weak and not really up to the task of winter duty.

Google earth, look at the site. There are on line places that will give you data about solar performance for an area. The owner's likely have the actual data for the system. Solar requires some involvement to get the max out of the system.

Plowing snow works if you have a place to push it too. Snow blowing works good unless it gets rained on, then you need a dozer.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Happy to be here!

Awards Showcase

I'll check on the age of the system, orientation, shade, etc when I narrow down the field. Right now my question is generalized if everything is installed properly and in good working order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,941 Times in 10,530 Posts

Really hard to give much advice without knowing what you and your family's normal life consists of. You will however want a backup generator if the place does not already have it included. Double check if your appliances are NG or LPG. The latter would mean you need propane delivery services to fill your tank. Also find out the ratings of any supplied inverters and your battery bank.

Tractors can plow snow if you have them setup for it. There is also the consideration of keeping it warm enough through a heated storage building or installed block heater. Electric block heater might be a problem for your off grid system in terms of loads.

Be aware that the watt rating of the solar system does not necessarily mean you actually achieve the level of power. Most often it will be considerably less with perhaps in full sunlight of 75% of rating. Then there is partly cloudy days, shading from vegetation, landscape, and bad weather days to reduce how much you will get.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Happy to be here!

Awards Showcase

Man, it would be nice to have someone from that area, on a solar system, pipe up with their experience. It's just my wife and I. We like to take showers every day, do laundry, wash dishes in a dish washer, vacuum carpets and that sort of thing. I questioned the realtor on the power and he was telling me it makes enough to power two homes. Doesn't seem right to me, but what do I know. Good tip on the engine block heaters.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,941 Times in 10,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Man, it would be nice to have someone from that area, on a solar system, pipe up with their experience. ....
Although he is in Maine, Forest Beekeeper would have the best input since he has a large solar collection system.

One thing I can say is that just about everything I have seen is you have to adapt your electrical usage and can not just act like you have grid power 24/7. When you set out to be your own utility company it involves a great deal of learning what you can do and how you can maximize what you have. You need to understand base loading and peak demands. This might mean that if you are running the vacuum cleaner you can not run the dishwasher at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 01:37 PM
Happy to be here!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Although he is in Maine, Forest Beekeeper would have the best input since he has a large solar collection system.

One thing I can say is that just about everything I have seen is you have to adapt your electrical usage and can not just act like you have grid power 24/7. When you set out to be your own utility company it involves a great deal of learning what you can do and how you can maximize what you have. You need to understand base loading and peak demands. This might mean that if you are running the vacuum cleaner you can not run the dishwasher at the same time.
My gut agrees with you. If that's the case, we're not interested in going that rout.
The Following User Says Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,266 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
My gut agrees with you. If that's the case, we're not interested in going that rout.
You just have to budget your power usage. It's not rocket science. It might take a little getting used to it but that's the fun in life.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigSlick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:36 AM
Hiker

Quote:
I'm looking at an off-grid home listing in New Hampshire. It has a 4200 watt solar system, well and septic. My question is if that system will provide enough power to live a normal life without relying on a back-up generator. Not sure about sun strength there and solar in general. The appliances appear to be natural gas, so my biggest concern is the well. It's far off the road so I'm also curious if my tractor would be able to plow a dirt road somehow. Probably a stupid question, but I'm in Florida and we don't get snow.
I have 2 ? for you .Why are you considering this move and why is the guy who is leaving doing it .
Old 09-17-2019, 03:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,889 Posts

Storage capacity is where to focus as 4200 watts sounds like a lot.
There are 3 homes with solar panels nearby that I'm aware of. 2 are always covered in snow in Winter. They might be snowbirds? Depending on how the panels are sited and how high up might be a good idea to check. Natural gas or propane? Find out for sure. People plow with those little ATVs so using a tractor is NBD. But be aware, some people know how to plow while others never get the knack. The record snowfall was only 8 or 9 feet for the season. Sounds like a lot but that's spread out over a dozen storms or so. Higher elevations will get more as will some sections depending on wind patterns. Closer to the ocean and southern tier will get less. Then too it matters how long and what pitch is the driveway and how large an area you want clear. Worst comes to worst and you don't want to deal with it, there are plenty that would be glad to do the plowing.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post: