Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I own a .22, which gun to buy next to get into hunting?+Hunting tag question... Everymanalion Firearms General Discussion 29 10-17-2014 09:10 AM
Hunting Elk with .45 Colt? Hunting Gun Suggestions? New-Prepper Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 49 10-28-2013 04:44 PM
.222 for hunting matt47 Rifle Forum 14 10-24-2013 07:00 AM
just got new hunting k9 Tiny Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 5 09-04-2013 07:30 AM
Hog hunting which gun? Jamesconn Firearms General Discussion 25 12-31-2012 05:46 PM
hunting tag/ hunting license hanson423 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 7 11-03-2012 06:57 AM
AR hunting jeepster Rifle Forum 22 09-09-2010 04:32 AM
04 Presidential Candidate:2A not about hunting unless ur hunting members of Congress Declan General Discussion 0 12-04-2009 09:15 PM
hog hunting DeerHunter49 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 47 02-11-2009 06:13 PM

Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Immortal

Thanked 1,556 Times in 648 Posts
Default Hunting with the SKS

Advertise Here

Just in case anyone wondered if the SKS rifles were suitable for hunting white tail deer - here is my experience using them for that:

God blessed me with my 3rd and 4th deer in 1997 when I was carrying Chinese made SKS using semi jacketed lead point ammo made in Germany and China respectively. Those bullets cost 9 cents each. On the opening day of NYís southern zone regular deer season I had a tag for one antlered deer and one antlerless deer. I left my home before dawn and decided to hunt just a few hundred yards behind the house as the sun rose. I was hoping to catch deer passing along a deer trail that linked feeding and bedding areas. I stood between two maple trees leaning against the down hill tree and hoping that the other would block me from the sight of any deer uphill on the trail.

The sun rose behind me turning the dark to grey and tingeing the sky with pink. I heard fat grey squirrels come down from their nests to search the fallen leaves for acorns and watched them play. One worked his way toward me, climbed a tree about 5 yards away and ran along a branch a few yards over head and into the tree I was leaning against. I saw a partridge hen fly down and feed through my field of vision. Both moved off to my left. My plan was to watch this trail during sunrise, then slowly work my way uphill and southward in an attempt to drive deer to my hunting companions if I didnít see any. As the morning wore on I continued to hear the squirrels and partridge off to my left but paid little attention as I had seen the small animals already. But when I decided to move I worked my way in that direction walking quietly and cautiously along over the stone wall and from rock to rock to minimize the noise of my foot steps. I had travelled about 50 yards when I heard footsteps ahead of me. Well I thought Ė itís waaaay too noisy to be deer but Iíll take a look to see what it is.

Peering down hill I saw not one, but TWO deer. The fork horned buck was following tight behind a doe. He must have heard, smelled, or sensed me because he looked back over his shoulder just as I settled the SKSís hooded front site post into the V notch of the rear sight on his shoulders. They were +/- 70 yards away from me and about 20 feet down slope. The buck swung his head forward and launched himself into a bound that should have carried him safely out of sight safely behind thick brush Ė except that his lady friend was squarely in front of his chest mere inches away. He rebounded off her butt and twisted sideways bringing his front shoulder out of alignment with her hind quarters. That was the opening I had been waiting for. She was no longer in the bulletís path. I sent the 123 grain projectile high into his left side, just over his heart. The bullet angled down and through the offside leg at the elbow.

Stunned by the noise and impact of the buck from behind, the doe wasnít sure what was going on. I let her go. Somehow it just seemed greedy to drop them both. The buck fell about 5 yards away and was still breathing when I walked up to him for the coup de grace.

On the last day of the same season. I hunted up to the top of the hill and on to the adjacent property. I had attempted stalks on deer bedding at the top of the hill several times since opening morning without success. Each time they went down the hill on the far side as I approached and into thick pines where I could not see them. This time I followed them after I jumped them and tracked them into a stand of pines too thick for me to crawl through. I gambled that they were still in the thick growth and circled the grove to wait for them to emerge. I took a position inside a group of tall straight hardwood trees. It was a park like setting without undergrowth so from behind a large tree 50 yards away I had an unobstructed view of the pine thicket.

I waited patiently. I waited impatiently. I counted all 317 trees within sight. And then I waited longer.

Finally three does emerged from the pines and fed into view browsing on low growth just 50 yards away through the hardwoods. It was the last day of the season and I had a doe tag to fill. Which one should I take? I resolved to take the first one that offered an unobstructed shot. They fed bunched up for several yards until at about 75 yards one of them stepped away from the others offering the opportunity to squeeze a shot between two trees and through her heart. At the sound of the shot she leapt into the air and hit the ground dead. She folded on the spot with the single shot entering through the near side (knocking out an inch sized chunk of rib), then passed through the heart and exited between the ribs of the far side. She collapsed so suddenly that the other does looked at her curiously but did not flee until I began to walk toward them and shooed them away.

When I dressed the doe I found that the bullet had passed cleanly through her heat and the chunk of rib had slashed through the center of the heart horizontally cutting through all four chambers. When I opened her chest cavity warm blood literally poured out. Before I had finished field dressing her a rustle in the leaves and movement caught my eye as a snow white ermine flowed over the brown leaves like liquid silk drawn to the scent of blood. The little carnivore came within 5 yards before it spotted me, reversed direction and disappeared like white furred lightening. That was a very special moment. I felt like I had been visited by a woodland nymph. The memory is even more special because those stately park-like hardwoods were logged off the next spring. I probably had the last hunt of anyone in those old trees.

The Chinese made SKS certainly proved itself as a capable deer rifle with that double harvest. While the range was short (in both cases about 75 yards) I had two clean one shot kills with the bullets passing completely through both deer. I did give a second shot to the buck but it was only to speed his passing, he would have expired with a hole through both lungs rather quickly even without it. The jacketed soft point ammunition worked admirable and I have to believe that most soft point 7.62x39 would perform equally as well at ranges up to 100 yards or slightly beyond. Just how far you are willing to take a shot depends on your experience but I would say that if you practiced the shot and could reliably hit your target, that the SKS is fully capable of cleanly taking white tail deer out to 150 yards.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Groovy Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 02:18 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,895 Posts

The 7.62X39 cartridge is about equal to a 30-30 so it is bound to be a good round for white tails.

If the SKS has a spike bayonet you have a handy device for crossing fences just fix bayonet, put rifle on safe (even better to empty chamber) put spike in ground to keep muzzle out of dirt, cross fence with both hands available and grab your rifle to continue on.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Hunter

I see this post all the time, yes ya can bust the crap outa a bambi with a SKS i have 7 kills with just one of mine. They don't run for a hundred miles like on tv when hit with a mag. 300. They die fast and the farthest one of mine ever got was about 30 yards. If its close and a good shot site, a low neck shot will drop them where they stand. I,am a meat man and like the cage clean if i can. I have 7.62x39,30-06, 30-30,270 and always end up going to my sks ta get the job done.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrGreenJeans For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,811 Times in 463 Posts

The SKS works very well on wild hoigs too if you can get a clean head shot. I dropped a nice sow that weighed about 150 pounds in her tracks last year with my SKS, using the soft lead tipped rounds. I could have shot the other sow that was with her (and they had about 15 to 20 pigglets with them too) if I wanted more meat, but one at a time is enough for me.

We're trying to remove some of these wild hogs from our deer lease because the past 3 years, we're seeing WAY more wild hogs than the deer and we suspect the wild hogs are eating up more of the natural feed (acorns, etc...) and we KNOW that the wild hogs are eating up most of the feeder cord because we see them on the trail cams set up at the feeders.

We've thought about making hog traps, but we have been averaging getting 2 or 3 each deer season between the 4 of us that hunt this deer lease.

So, I do like the SKS for deer hunting (yes, I have taken several with my SKS), especially with the rapid follow up shot, if needed.

Medic73
Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 AM
General All-Around Tinker

My first deer kill, and several since, was with a 1965 Chinese SKS. Never had to go more than 50 feet for the recovery. I have other rifles but the iron sighted SKS is still my favorite brush gun. +1 on the rapid follow-up shots. Here in Oklahoma there is not a magazine restriction on semi-auto's larger than .223 (which is a limit of 7...wierd) so I can carry a full 10 rounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to websterz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2010, 01:48 PM

thanks for sharing....i might use my ak for hunting this year. hunt safe, god bless.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Immortal

Thanked 1,556 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousepad1123 View Post
thanks for sharing....i might use my ak for hunting this year. hunt safe, god bless.
I took my first deer with a Maadi AKM. I fired and the deer ran away. Investigating I saw one drop of blood in the new snow. Tracking produced very faint blood trail - one I never would have been able to follow without the fresh snow. Just a few drops every few yards. I eventually got close enoght to break a hind leg with 5 shots as the deer ran away from me. I reloaded and finished him off. Turns out that the first wound was not mine. It was severeal days old. I will not hunt with an AK again. They are just too inaccurate at ranges beyond 75 yards for me to call hunting with them ethical. But I do like the SKS out to 150 yards or so.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Hippie Rich

Thanked 4,680 Times in 2,480 Posts

i shot my third deer with a sks, i never underestimated that carbine again
The Following User Says Thank You to matt18920 For This Useful Post: