Shifting prepping gears with the seasons - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do people think you are crazy for prepping? SingleMomPrepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 188 01-20-2019 09:51 AM
Fake Prepping Websites Diminishing The Prepping Community kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 08-21-2018 04:54 AM
Prepping is a marathon kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 11-26-2017 08:32 PM
The Unglorified Side Of Prepping AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 5 11-18-2017 10:50 AM
Prepping as a Way of Life AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-09-2017 01:00 PM

Old 08-31-2018, 06:26 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,260 Times in 7,842 Posts
Default Shifting prepping gears with the seasons

Advertise Here

Labor day is here, and in a few weeks the fall equinox will arrive on September 22.

As the seasons change, so should our prepping goals. Here on the farm the deer hunting stands are being fixed, and I may plant a fall / winter garden.

Since July fishing has eased up under the brutal summer temperatures. As the cool fall weather arrives, hopefully the fishing will pick back up.

It will not be long and the cold fronts will arrive and the dead of winter will set in. Predictions say we may be in for a cold 2018 - 2019 winter, but time will tell.

I may plant some
  • Fall beans / peas
  • Rutabagas
  • Turnip greens

Undecided on winter squash, such as acorn squash.

My job has me working 10 hour days, and I have not checked on the garden in a week. The okra has probably grown to long to harvest. I might make some homemade hot sauce this week with some of the jalapeno peppers.

The 2018 spring garden started with a rough start, but things went well after the rain stopped.

I have not harvested a deer in years. I may take one here on the farm this year, or maybe go out to the public hunting lands on the Angelina River here hear Jasper, Texas.

Not sure if I will run any trotlines this fall. Just spending a day on the river fishing is usually enough for me.

There are some remote areas deep in the sloughs I may go hunting at.

As summer fades away I am looking forward to the cool weather of fall and winter.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Run Silent, Run Dark

Thanked 1,414 Times in 484 Posts

Here are a few Fall projects that we are planning:

Will can some green tomato relish, chicken, and beef this Fall. Working on an insulation project at the cabin that will be done by the end of September. Started studying for the Ham license. Want to play with the Ham radio late this Fall and over the Winter.

I have a security project at the cabin I want to get started before the snow flies.

This Winter, at the cabin, we will build an organizing rack in each closet for supplies and LTS food storage.

Plus, if time & money permit's, I'd like to build a couple storage racks in the conex to organize the kayaks, propane and gasoline.

At the property we have about 13 full days to the end of the year. Projects will take up most of that time.

One of the weekend days in October, my daughter and I are going to camefire cook some stew in the kettle and bake corn bread in the dutch oven. We will probably make a peach cobbler, too.

That weekend we will have 6 adults and four dogs in the cabin. The highest people (and animal) load since we bought the place.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to McMacy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,804 Times in 7,455 Posts

I switch out my gear twice a year. The sunscreen, bug spray, mosquito nets, summer camo patterns, etc all go into storage and the warm weather clothes, warmers, heavy sleeping bags, fall/winter camo patterns, etc all come out of storage. This is also when I check all my gear to make sure it's still working and replace batteries and equipment as needed.

I base it on temperatures. Usually when it hits 40s at night is my watch point. In general it's when bugs stop attacking and the foliage goes from green to yellow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,418 Times in 2,902 Posts

Some of us just add more cold weather gear to the mix and keep going rather than switching stuff out.

Had the lighter weight down coat out a couple of times over the 'summer', the mountain weather is fickle.

Time to get ready to move the worms "inside", antelope hunting season opened today but we won't get out until Friday.
Need to get the processing table set up.

A years worth of meat to be harvested in a month and a half or so.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:18 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,624 Times in 2,750 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

For my fall prepping "gear shift", I am harvesting my summer crops and processing them; planting fall/winter crops; adding more animal housing (got the pig pens built, need to build shelters now; will build another goat shelter; will get another small coop/run setup put together) finish the 3-bin composter and hopefully add 5 new planting beds and till up the large area to plant barley. This is all in addition to starting a new job.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM

Here in the bush we have 2 seasons. Winter and getting ready for winter.

Did some remodel in a barn to make it more cozy for livestock. Put up new and changed out some old motion lights. Not fun doing chores in the dark. All feed for livestock stored and ready.

Wood shed is stuffed to the max. We have had frost so cleaning out the garden, digging potatoes. Cleaning up yard and moving summer things back in there winter place to be clear when running the snowblower on the tractor. Cleaning out garage so all the vehicles can be inside. All vehicles, tractor, generator etc serviced and ready for winter. Winter tires changed out. Fuel canisters filled.

Both moose and bear season are open. Just waiting for them to come to one of the pastures. Not if, but when they do come around to our pastures and being ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyobuckaroo48 For This Useful Post: