What do you do to keep your preps safe? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pack More Guns into your Safe with this Safe Makeover AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 5 09-02-2015 11:30 PM
BIGHORN 19ECB Safe Holds up to 24 Long Guns - $600 shipped @ Costco (30min fire safe) apps47inc For Sale 0 07-18-2014 01:09 PM
Fortress Safe Quick Access Pistol Safe w/ Keypad Lock - $89.99 apps47inc For Sale 0 05-23-2014 09:15 AM
Pro vault safe by liberty safe company Brettboat Firearms General Discussion 6 03-01-2014 05:18 AM
S. 649: Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013 BigJim Political News and Discussion 10 04-12-2013 11:13 AM
Cannon Safe Safari 5940 Wide Body Firearm Safe - $799.99 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 03-11-2012 08:20 PM
Sentry Safe G1055E Gun Safe Holds 10 Guns Cope's Distribuitng For Sale 0 02-20-2012 10:21 AM
Big Horn Safe VS Winchester Safe? Which one do you pick? Reason Political News and Discussion 5 01-30-2012 04:37 PM
keeping preps safe. cleatis Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 04-12-2011 04:05 PM
Gun Safe or more Guns and Preps? Freerunner Firearms General Discussion 48 10-03-2010 03:28 AM

Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Target Shooter

Default What do you do to keep your preps safe?

Advertise Here

Ive been thinking about this for quite some time and have gotten next to nowhere with it so I wanted to open it up for discussion.

I was wondering how you, personally, keep your preps safe. Now Im not talking in the "i got my AR" sense, I'm talking more about protecting it all from the disaster which you are preparing for.

For example, folks in Fl, La etc, what do you do, if anything, to protect your preps from flood damage?

Those in earthquake country: do you have your preps in a reinforced area? 100 pounds of rice and flour and your 300 cans of food is no good under 3 tons of rubble...

Tornado lands: its got to be in the basement or else its goin with the twister right? sorry, just got this terrible vision from that movie "Twister" but instead of those little sensor things getting taken up into the tornado its all of your canned food

Cold weather climates: where are you keeping your food so it doesnt freeze? does your house keep the basement warm enough?

what about fire? do you make sure the place(s) where you keep your gear/preps is not a fire hazard? and I'm sure you have a fire extinguisher....RIGHT!?!?!

seriously though, it only makes sense to prep your preps for your area and I was curious as to what others are doing. Ill be starting a permanent stash soon and want to think of everything i can before i do it

thanks again everyone
Kid_M
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid_Molasses For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I travel light

Thanked 3,234 Times in 730 Posts

mmm...IŽll have to remove my Claymores from the door of the cellar..
Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm keeping my eye on you

Good questions Kid! I'm in FL, but my home is on top of a big hill about 1000 yards from a huge lake. If my home ever floods, we won't need the preps, we will need an ark!

I have a small wooded area in front and a large wooded area in back which helps to buffer the wind a little. We have been through several hurricanes and the house has faired very well. We shutter the windows for major storms. I am a "bug in" and have different preps stored throughout the house. Some in A/C, some not, dependent on what it is, of course. If I lose my preps, it's because I have lost my house and if that were to occur, we will camp, adapt and overcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM

I live in earthquake country, so the majority of food is in the pantry, but I keep a trashcan filled with canned food and water in our pump-house. (which isn't big enough to cause substantial rubble.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:33 PM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

I've practiced my cache technique. Works fine for now. I plan to really use it once we move onto a homestead. And I plan to cache a whole lot when we get a piece of property out in the middle of nowhere so we can make it into a retreat, complete with all the supplies we'll need to camp out there for a long while.

I used a 5 gallon bucket to bury. Inside that bucket I put food, bottled water, tarp, and a few tools. (Nothing fancy. I'm just trying this out for now.) I buried the bucket, leaving about 4 inches of dirt on top. When I go to dig it up again I'll just dig down deep enough to get the lid off and remove the supplies without taking the bucket out of the ground. I'll be doing a test dig soon, just to see if it's as easy as it should be. It can't possibly be as labor intensive as digging the darn hole to bury it in the first place! lol.

So, this is my plan to separate my preps out a bit and keep at least some of my preps safe for a rainy day.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,251 Times in 623 Posts

About the only natural threat for me is tornado. All of my preps are in the basement.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Communications Bunker

Thanked 1,051 Times in 433 Posts

Preps? What preps? Man, I am your average, typical member of sheeple society. When the SHTF I am just plain phukt. I hope there is a soup kitchen close by. Maybe one my neighbors has some canned goods they can spare. I hope Burger King stays open post-SHTF

In all seriousness, I have preps stashed at several locations and many of my preps will survive any disaster that can happen here. Since the natural disasters that can happen at my house consist of zombie attack, alien invasion or socio-economic breakdown then I think I am OK.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:45 PM
DIY RPG's

Thanked 1,217 Times in 562 Posts

I have only one thing to worry about nature wise out here and thats tornados. So most of my preps are in the basement which stays warm enough not to freeze.
Then i have stashes buried all over the iowa nebraska boarder. Buried in pvc tubing with end caps 2 feet down in the ground. So they freeze in the winter but thats ok as its freeze dried in the first place so doing good here.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,599 Times in 8,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Keep some equipment and supplies that freezing and high temps won't hurt in my rented storage room with the things that don't fit in my apartment.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM

Thanked 1,209 Times in 528 Posts

I left the keys in my front door ALL last night .............................
Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Ready for the big "push"

Thanked 1,668 Times in 644 Posts

Most of my stuff is in the storm shelter. The rest is in shelves in the garage next to the truck for bug out purposes.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Duck n Cover !

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.James View Post
I left the keys in my front door ALL last night .............................
You could have woke up dead........simple mistake could cost dearly!
It was your lucky night!.......
Old 05-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Transplant

Central Indiana doesn't have a lot of threat from mother nature, so I'm not too concerned about the occasional tornado that rarely does damage, floods, hurricanes, or earthquakes... I've been more concerned about ants findind the food and flooding into the house (we nipped that problem in the bud when we started to see a few as it got warmer).

As long as the food keeps, as it should it will be safe from spoil. As far as protecting it in a SHTF scenario, I guess keeping it low key and upstairs in the third bedroom helps a lot. It's not visible from windows, near the kitchen, and somewhat defendable should some folks (looters) come after it. I do "Have my AR" but think that keeping it unadvertised is the best way to keep it safe if it comes down to people wanting it...
Old 05-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,249 Times in 5,927 Posts

In the basement in five gallon food grade buckets and 55 gallon food grade barrels.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,298 Times in 1,579 Posts

By far, the greatest danger to your preps is not natural disasters but other people.

I keep most of my preps inside a really large Work Box. It is very secure and would take a trained thief at least an hour to get into. It is bolted to the floor and even unbolted weighs way too much to be moved.

Still, it is not large enough to store everything. I have used mine to store the most valuable items, basically everything except food.

The one single best way to keep your preps safe is to never tell a soul about them.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,634 Posts

We're in Ohio, we get the occasional tornado, alot of flooding, and lots of freezing in winter. That's about it.

We keep our stash downstairs and in the stairway leading downstairs. We have a sump pump in the basement on a backup (currently a generator, with plans for a solar set up that it will be put on) to protect them, and everything else down there...
Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 AM

Natural disasters are still new to me after moving to Minnesota.
We have the occasional tornado, flooding, sub zero temps, and some
pretty big thunderstorms. Moved from Yakima, Wa. where, when it comes
to natural disasters, there really wasn't any.

We don't have a basement or storm cellar but the bottom story of our
house used to be a garage and is half underground. If you look at the house
from the back it looks like a one story so we are converting one of the
bedrooms down there into a storage room for preps and food. It's about
all we can really do right now until we can come up with something a
little better. It's already a cold room, hell the entire downstairs is. The morons
who owned the house before us didn't insulate at all.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 27,043 Times in 10,520 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

What do I do to keep my preps safe?

KA-CHACK....

Mall Ninja Mode...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwind View Post
What do I do to keep my preps safe?

KA-CHACK....

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...Picture033.jpg

Mall Ninja Mode...
... Mall Ninja?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Thank You, Lord....

Well... ya might first shoot all the neighbors that don't prep that you told about your preps... they'll come callin'when it hits... keep your mouth shut if you are planning on surviving in your own neighbor hood... jus' a thought pilgrim